Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom Speakers with poly fill

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:37 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Boom Speakers with poly fill

Just installed Boom 5.25" speakers and added poly fill around them. Do the Booms need the fill or take it out? They are not wrapped heavily with it, just some I had laying around and just stuffed it in there. Advice?

Attached Thumbnails Boom Speakers with poly fill-image.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 03:08 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They need all the help you can give them....

Old 03-28-2014, 06:20 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
Just installed Boom 5.25" speakers and added poly fill around them. Do the Booms need the fill or take it out? They are not wrapped heavily with it, just some I had laying around and just stuffed it in there. Advice?
They ALL need polyfil.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:15 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks the tip guys. I'm just not sure if what I'm using is sufficient. Heck, not even 100% sure it's polyfil because it was just laying around the house, I didn't go buy it. Think it came as some sort of packing from something. But the point is, you're suggesting the Boom's need to be wrapped?

Old 03-28-2014, 07:31 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

looks like polyfil to me. the idea size for speakers of the 5.25" to the 7.1" range is

3 sheets of the thin stuff from Walmart craft section in a 15x15" square wrapped around each speaker in the fairing.

lowers and rear pods a single thin layer lining the pod, don't wrap these speakers

Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 PM
qcarson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

3 sheets of the thin stuff from Walmart craft section in a 15x15" square wrapped around each speaker in the fairing.
Dugan, how did you secure the polyfil to the speakers? I believe I have the wrong polyfil. I bought the quilt batting stuff. I am more of a visual learner so pics would be nice.

Last edited by qcarson; 04-01-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:56 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by qcarson
Dugan, how did you secure the polyfil to the speakers? I believe I have the wrong polyfil. I bought the quilt batting stuff. I am more of a visual learner so pics would be nice.
If you bought 100% polyester that is about 3/8" thick, then you bought the right stuff.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by qcarson
I just stuffed it in around the crevasses where it would fit. Just temporary to see if it works. I've heard of zip tie around the round part of the speaker also. When I take the fairing off again I will secure the fil better and probably use actual layers of thin Polyfil in there.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:09 PM
qcarson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zeke383
If you bought 100% polyester that is about 3/8" thick, then you bought the right stuff.
Zeke383, you are correct. When I opened it up I saw that it was thinner than I expected. I am getting ready to go try and attach it now. Thanks for the reply though.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:11 PM
qcarson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dugan
I just stuffed it in around the crevasses where it would fit. Just temporary to see if it works. I've heard of zip tie around the round part of the speaker also. When I take the fairing off again I will secure the fil better and probably use actual layers of thin Polyfil in there.
Can you hear an actual difference? I have lower speakers also so I am about to wrap them all.

Quick Reply: Boom Speakers with poly fill