Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Gearheaddrew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS head unit

Anyone know if there is a decent single din GPS enabled head unit out there?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 PM
2012SG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the only one that I have seen. Clarion NZ503, I think Jenson makes one too.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:07 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you want a flip out screen, or no ??

Jensen VX7010 & Clarion NZ503 are the 2 listed that specifically list GPS and blue tooth.

However, I think that you can buy the GPS module for quite a few of the flip out units being sold, like my Kenwood.

Most guys are just streaming their phones , with a map app, through Bluetooth.

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 05-13-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Gearheaddrew
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL

Jensen VX7010 & Clarion NZ503 are the 2 listed that specifically list GPS and blue tooth.

However, I think that you can buy the GPS module for quite a few of the flip out units being sold, like my Kenwood.

One of my riding partners is currently streaming the GPS with his phone. He likes the new 2014 GPS head units that are comming on the new limiteds.

I saw where sony was offering a tomtom add on GPS module for the MEX-DV1700U but there isn't a screen I am assuming that since its a DVD head unit it would need to be connected to a seperate monitor to have the GPS ability.

How do those flip out units hold up to inclement weather? and vibration while driving. To use the GPS the screen it would obviously need to be out.

He might have to go with the Road Zumo which has all the options hes looking for and just deal with the GPS as a sepearate unit.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearheaddrew
One of my riding partners is currently streaming the GPS with his phone. He likes the new 2014 GPS head units that are comming on the new limiteds.

I saw where sony was offering a tomtom add on GPS module for the MEX-DV1700U but there isn't a screen I am assuming that since its a DVD head unit it would need to be connected to a seperate monitor to have the GPS ability.

How do those flip out units hold up to inclement weather? and vibration while driving. To use the GPS the screen it would obviously need to be out.

He might have to go with the Road Zumo which has all the options hes looking for and just deal with the GPS as a sepearate unit.
I have the clarion...it doesnt hold up in inclement weather...thats why i keep a roll of painters tape. No worry about vibration while driving because the screen stays closed. And NO the screen does no have to be open to use the GPS...the directions are spoken thru the speakers. Why go with a $600 GPS unit that only does GPS when he can spend $500 on a complete stereo...and $4 on a roll of tape...im just saying.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

It's my 6th summer with my Kenwood KVT819DVD, and never have had a hiccup !!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:16 AM
Gearheaddrew
Cruiser

It's my 6th summer with my Kenwood KVT819DVD, and never have had a hiccup !!
So you run with it fliped out then? I understand that if it is raining to put it in the retracted mode and put a spash sheild over it. May have to put the shield on upside down. Either way it may be a possibilty.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gearheaddrew
So you run with it fliped out then? I understand that if it is raining to put it in the retracted mode and put a spash sheild over it. May have to put the shield on upside down. Either way it may be a possibilty.
It's always flipped out when I ride. I bought the Biketronics shield, but it doesn't work with the HD chrome radio trim piece...

Old 08-26-2014, 10:52 AM
timberwolfz28
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that brings up just audio though, correct? I don't think I've seen a visual map streamed via bluetooth before.

The problem I see with audio only is that I've had several instances where there is a series of turns in short progressions...say a highway exit with a turn followed immediately by another turn, for example. The GPS doesn't always catch up and spit out the audio fast enough to guide you through it all. A visual cue ahead of time would at least allow you the option to see what's coming up, even if you didn't hear it in time.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by timberwolfz28
that brings up just audio though, correct? I don't think I've seen a visual map streamed via bluetooth before.

The problem I see with audio only is that I've had several instances where there is a series of turns in short progressions...say a highway exit with a turn followed immediately by another turn, for example. The GPS doesn't always catch up and spit out the audio fast enough to guide you through it all. A visual cue ahead of time would at least allow you the option to see what's coming up, even if you didn't hear it in time.
I have since replaced my clarion with a Kenwood after it was fried because it got caught in a pop up rain shower. You should try google maps or Waze. Both are free 99 and if you dont like em, then maybe go to a head unit. I know for sure that those two apps have the entire route downloaded and they are well ahead of you. My phone is mounted on my handlebars so I can see it as I ride. Instructions still come thru the speakers.

Quick Reply: GPS head unit