Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to replace some Boom, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:20 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Time to replace some Boom, need advice.

When I bought my street glide in 2010 I put the boom fairing speakers in. Later I added a J&M 250 amp. Next I added a detachable tour pack with hogtune pods and boom rear speakers and wired them in series with the front. I added Hawg wired fairing gauge tweeters and at the time was having issues with my HK so the stock unit was replaced with a biketronics kit and my current head unit is a Sony MEX-M70BT. I just recently found a deal on OEM saddlebag speaker covers already painted vivid black and the boom speakers still in the box for $450 shipped so I bought them and there going to be here today.

Well My fairing speakers are starting to sound crackily so I plan to upgrade, they have sounded fine and lasted 4 yrs but now I want better. Also need more power for the saddlebags speakers.

The tour pack is not always on so I was planning to use the same speaker wires that run the tour pack speakers to run the saddlebag speakers and just not have saddle bag speakers when the pack is on.

After Pioneer74 mentioned my saddlebag speakers in another thread it got me thinking and looking around at speakers.

So with my budget this is the new plan:
1) upgrade the fairing speakers with BT 7.1 speakers
2) upgrade the tour pack speakers with BT 6.5 Titan II (FLTR) speakers, the road glide speakers are cheaper than FLH speakers and I don't need the adapter ring for the rear pods. I'll have to modify the pods but they should fit a 6.5 speaker.
3) add a BT4180 to power the 7.1 fairing speakers, hawg wired tweeters and the rear 6.5 tour pack speakers.
4) use a Hogtunes Adapter amp bracket to mount the J&M 250 amp in the fairing as well and use it to power the boom saddlebag speakers.

That's my budget for know, later I will replace the boom saddlebag speakers with the biketronic 6x9 replacement speaker they designed to replace the boom 5x7 speaker but for now its not in my buget.

My concerns are that the hogtune amp bracket might not fit with the 7.1 speakers in there?

Anyone else see any issues with this setup? I don't want to use other speaker brands to get everything in my budget now, I 'd rather just stick with BT and in a few months upgrade the remaining boom with BT as well.

Thoughts?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bracket will fit with the 7.1's. It will have to be modified, and the speaker turned with the wiring toward the radio, but it will work. I have pictures of it on my home computer I will post later.

The J&M amp might not. If it is any bigger than a pbr300x2 you will not have room to mount it. You could always mount the J&M amp in the tour pak, or sell it and get the pbr300x2.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:16 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Off from the J&M site my amp is 6 1/2” X 1 ¾” X 4 ¾“ it's an older style non-rokker type
The PBR300X2 is real close at 6-3/4" x 1-9/16" x 4-1/4"

Last edited by hd_rolling; 09-08-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:26 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Well Ive been thinking about the BT 6.5 II speakers in the rear pods and it occurred to me that I wouldn't have any speaker screens.

So I'm thinking know I might have to skip the 6.5 speakers and just save and order the BT 7.1 speakers with pods for the tour pack.

Just worried because my hogtune pods rub on the sides of my hammock seat, not sure if the BT Pods with 7.1 speakers will fit?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Just worried because my hogtune pods rub on the sides of my hammock seat, not sure if the BT Pods with 7.1 speakers will fit?

Here is a picture of my stock seat with the 7.1" pods. I can't remember for sure, but I might have had the passenger seat widened when I had the Mean City super narrow mod done. At the narrowest point, there is just about 13 inches between them. I added yellow rags so you could see the gap.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:37 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Thanks Pioneer.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Thanks Pioneer.
No problem. Just remember that if your want to go with the 6.5's, just about any grille that size should work. You can pick them up cheap on eBay.

But once you buy the pods, and then the speakers, you're just about at the price of the 7.1's anyway.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
No problem. Just remember that if your want to go with the 6.5's, just about any grille that size should work. You can pick them up cheap on eBay.

But once you buy the pods, and then the speakers, you're just about at the price of the 7.1's anyway.
I already have hogtune pods with the standard size boom speakers, I have just read other threads where members were able to modify the pods to fit a 6.5 speaker. $200 difference between getting the 6.5 titan II speaker or the 7.1 titan II with new pods. For the price it makes sense to just upgrade to new pods and bigger speakers while I'm at it. It's just not in the budget right now but a couple more months won't hurt.

I don't have the tour pack or hammock seat on now but looking at older pictures the pods do touch a little but its Harley passenger armrest that rub on the seat the most not the pods. Here's a pre-armrest pic.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

To get things started I ordered the Amp , BT 7.1 fairing speakers and additional amp mount today. I installed the saddlebag speaker lids and speakers last night and need to wire them today.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Well the saddlebag speakers are powered up using my tour pack connection, the front speakers drown out the saddlebags pretty bad. You have to lower your head towards the saddlebag to be able to hear it over the hawg wired tweeters and fairing boom speakers. I know they still need to get broken in but I might need to look at ordering the Biketronic 7x9 replacement speaker before I worry about the 7.1 speaker and pods for the tour pack.

I wasn't expecting to be blown away but I thought the saddlebag speakers would at least sound as good if not better than the smaller boom tour pack speakers. Right now they don't. I even attached the tour pack and connected one saddlebag speaker and one tour pack speaker and the tour pack is louder. Like I said maybe after there broken in, and I did try changing polarity an it was no improvement.

Quick Reply: Time to replace some Boom, need advice.