Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Twin Cam custom turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Deuce2004
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Cam custom turbo

Hello im new to the forum and i have two twin cam 88 harleys i have a 04 deuce that was recently destroyed by a fire which i am going to rebuild and a 05 road glide. I am very seriously considering building my own turbo system for one of these bikes.
My idea is to take a turbo off a small 4 cylinder car and build an exhaust and intake to mount the turbo with. I want to know if this is possible and what sorts of things i might need to do to make this happen. Can anyone help?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look out for how that spools up.( Watch your turbine) If its to much it blow that bike up kick. Look at Garret 28 it will good for your bike. You can order them with diff. spools. I used to build my own turbo kits for Jap bikes I gave that up it costs more time than I have. I just bought RCC kits. Trust look into a A Pro Charger or Trask if you want to do something like this. In 3 weeks you will have your kit to bolt on and go. And get support. for parts service and warranty.
And lees time from your side. But if you deside to build one,.. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Originally Posted by Deuce2004
Hello im new to the forum and i have two twin cam 88 harleys i have a 04 deuce that was recently destroyed by a fire which i am going to rebuild and a 05 road glide. I am very seriously considering building my own turbo system for one of these bikes.
My idea is to take a turbo off a small 4 cylinder car and build an exhaust and intake to mount the turbo with. I want to know if this is possible and what sorts of things i might need to do to make this happen. Can anyone help?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Deuce2004
Novice

I appreciate the input and yes a trask or other kit would be best as far as procharger goes i would much prefer to put a turbo on just because i like them better. The bike im using was recently claimed by a house fire i intend on building it back up so my options are unlimited at this point. A big question i have is what sort of compression ratio does the motor need to be to handle a turbo? As far as time goes i have more time than money which is the reason why im even considering building one. I realize building something isnt always the best option but its also a pride thing for me too and i know it can be done because people have been making things like turbos work for a long time before engineered kits came along.

I see you said something about watching the turbine on a turbo? Any idea what to look for? Or any idea how to measure or estimate how much boost it might put out? Thanks for any input.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a website that will answer your ????? Let me know if I could help... 1 thing you can use any exhaust with a procharger not with a turbo... And I love turbos but on Jap bikes......

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech102.html

I appreciate the input and yes a trask or other kit would be best as far as procharger goes i would much prefer to put a turbo on just because i like them better. The bike im using was recently claimed by a house fire i intend on building it back up so my options are unlimited at this point. A big question i have is what sort of compression ratio does the motor need to be to handle a turbo? As far as time goes i have more time than money which is the reason why im even considering building one. I realize building something isnt always the best option but its also a pride thing for me too and i know it can be done because people have been making things like turbos work for a long time before engineered kits came along.

I see you said something about watching the turbine on a turbo? Any idea what to look for? Or any idea how to measure or estimate how much boost it might put out? Thanks for any input.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Deuce2004
Novice

Thanks for your help Drago you are quite knowledgeable and let me tell you i wish i could build bikes half as good as you do.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your help Drago you are quite knowledgeable and let me tell you i wish i could build bikes half as good as you do.
Frank built my 107" Procharged RoadGlide.When all was said and done it Dyno'd at 182.6hp/151 ft.lbs. tq.Frank is by far the very best, there is no question about it.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Fatboy 04
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! You've got a lot of homework to do if you plan on doing this from scratch with a 4 cylinder turbo. I do have some knowledge with Turbos working in a diesel shop. You'll need to know some things like boost pressure at different RPM's, oil supply pressure, ect. If you do go ahead with this, keep us posted with photos.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:51 AM
bc shredder
Novice

Building your own turbo system is like opening pandoras box. Trust me you will spend more money in the end to have a proper running kit if you try to do it yourself. Have you thought about fuel system and computer mods. How about fluid dynamics and charge temp. Something as intricate as a turbo kit is best left to professionals. If money is even an obstacle for you you should forget about turbos or superchargers all togeather. Dont get me wrong I love them as much as the next guy but as soon as you put boost or nos on anything the clock to repairs starts ticking. Could be 3K miles colud be 20K but something is gonna give and it will cost to fix. I have had many toys with power adders. Currently a snowmobile with around 200 HP and no2. When you push something to nearly double the hp it was designed for things will break. You just have to know that all this stuff just makes everything more expensive and more proned to failure. Save up your money, buy a proper kit, and then be prepared for extra expenses to fix it when it breakes. As long as you are prepared for this then fill your boots and youll have a ton of fun with the bike. Im just saying that budget and turbo can not go togeather.

PS trask is a turbo kit.

Last edited by bc shredder; 09-17-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said! It's not if it breaks..............it's when it breaks.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:15 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by FastBagger07
Well said! It's not if it breaks..............it's when it breaks.

Then there is always "how badly it breaks"

Quick Reply: Twin Cam custom turbo