Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Help with turbo sizing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 02:59 AM
shimaze
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I always heard = not an expert!

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (10-31-2023)
Old 01-18-2022, 07:35 PM
jchaseh
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Idea

Originally Posted by 09ightster
Well after looking at Garrett's compressor maps on their site and talking to some other knowledgable people. I've narrowed it down to two turbos; a gt2056 and a gt2252. Leaning more towards the gt2252. Has anyone compared the compressor and turbines with any it guess you'd say "knockoff" eBay turbos? Anyone running em with any luck? Hard to beat the price of em but I do believe ya get whatcha pay for. Hate to grenade my engine due to a turbo failure blowing chunks in it. But also hard to turn a eye from a 300 dollar turbo compared to a 800 on a garrett. So anyone real world experience on the eBay stuff? Just curious as more then likely I'll be getting a garrett even if its used and needs a rebuild.
I've seen one person do this DIY with a carburetor-bike and he used a bone yard turbo from an Audi A3. At least you'd have something OE quality and likely have access to better aftermarket parts for it. I only know of the turbo, nothing of how it's cooled other than oil and air at the moment and he claims it's rips pretty well. He has not had it professionally tuned or dynod, either. The bike nor the turbo were the least bit aesthetic but otherwise he did a straight forward exhaust manifold for the turbo and welded together his own pipe. The Garrett GT22 was another that came up under the search. I believe this was all done under $500, total. Mechanically speaking, I'd assume the lower rpm and chug of the vtwin may have impact in the OE turbine but that can be worked out later. I'm wondering if the turbo off if a WRX would better spool up over one for an inline 4. Again, all 3rd hand information from someone heading down the same rabbit hole! 😀

Old 10-31-2023, 01:26 AM
CBOWMAN1617
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09ightster
Well after looking at Garrett's compressor maps on their site and talking to some other knowledgable people. I've narrowed it down to two turbos; a gt2056 and a gt2252. Leaning more towards the gt2252. Has anyone compared the compressor and turbines with any it guess you'd say "knockoff" eBay turbos? Anyone running em with any luck? Hard to beat the price of em but I do believe ya get whatcha pay for. Hate to grenade my engine due to a turbo failure blowing chunks in it. But also hard to turn a eye from a 300 dollar turbo compared to a 800 on a garrett. So anyone real world experience on the eBay stuff? Just curious as more then likely I'll be getting a garrett even if its used and needs a rebuild.
So im not run a garrett I'm running a g25-550 V band Pulsar dual cermic ball bearing with a 48 a/r exhaust sideit was $1000