Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Sales are down 35%, are Canadians fed up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sales are down 35%, are Canadians fed up?

They say the internet has changed the way people shop. What hasn't kept step with the change is the way some products are distributed. Are Canadians giving the middle finger to the HD distributor. The internet tells me that they take a bigger share than other brands.

Most companies try and keep the difference in price on their products between the U.S and Canada as close to the exchange rate as possible. HD motorcycles is the exception to that rule.

I wonder in economic times like this whether the mother ship considers poor sales in this country to be the result of Canadians simply being fed up with being taken advantage of for so long. With the way info travels these days you can't hide the facts.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious. Are sales of Victory and Indian also showing that trend to forgo Harley or can that even be determined since there are sales of metrics and exotics masking it.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 PM
blackeg84
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly good. To be blunt F*** harley Canada. They are scammers and maybe this well help them realize that they need to lower the prices plain and simple. There are way to many examples of people saving hundreds or thousands of $$$. But not paying the prices here in canada

Old 09-20-2014, 06:40 PM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
I'm curious. Are sales of Victory and Indian also showing that trend to forgo Harley or can that even be determined since there are sales of metrics and exotics masking it.
Apparently sales of Victory bikes were up 104% in the same time period.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:17 PM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At 32k for a 2015 Road Glide, that's a 5k increase over 2013. Makes it hard to justify when 25k in the US. I won't be buying one.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:36 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Real glad we don't have to do the Deeley deal.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

The internet makes it so much easier to buy a motorcycle from the U.S. that buying at a Canadian dealer is being pushed aside. If you can get past the border bandits (U.S. and Canada Customs) you can have a good bike for thousands less.

Internet buying is creating a real headache for the huge cartels who want to control all pricing. Take a look at all the new legislation both the U.S. and Canadian government are proposing for the internet. It's all being sponsored by corporations desperate to get more internet control to prevent competition.

Harley-Davidson is no longer the only game in town either. I see a lot of Indian and Victory motorcycles around now and their owners absolutely love them.

I buy a lot of stuff on the internet now. I can order it today and get it in 5 days delivered to my door. I get exactly what I want and I don't have to drive around looking for it, or get to a retailer and have him say "We don't have it, but we can order it...". Why would I order it from a retailer when I can do that myself online for 30% less?

Old 10-12-2014, 09:27 AM
haulin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can buy it online for 60% cheaper and if it has to be HD brand, the dealer 6 hours away loves to sell me stuff and ship it up on the bus to me. Still ends up being cheaper than buying it from the local dealer in town.

Up here, lots of guys are buying Victory and I can only imagine what it would be like, to be the accountant of the local dealership. My neighbor bought a slim and went through the whole 'dealership experience' this spring and she said she'll never buy from them again. It's kinda funny because for the last two years all she would talk about is owning a Harley.

I'm 32, so HD has to deal with the likes of me for generations to come. You clowns, did it to yourself and I find it comical when the company acts all surprised when they realize their numbers are down.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:21 PM
teflon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off its not HD USA its Deely Canada thats screwing the Canadian rider! i to now only shop on the net or at US HD dealers. i do usually give my local hd dealer a chance to get close on pricing and if he does he gets the sale, if not screw Deely.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:04 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 308 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by haulin
I can buy it online for 60% cheaper and if it has to be HD brand, the dealer 6 hours away loves to sell me stuff and ship it up on the bus to me.
I'd be interested in doing the same - although I look through the catalog, and I think all I need is foot controls, and that's a stretch. Hmmm. Maybe I'm done in that regard. Ha Ha.

I bought the Tour Pak in the USA. And I try to do as much as possible pre-planning and prepurchasing before a trip.

Tires are cheaper. Labo[u]r is cheaper. T-shirts are cheaper.

It's also sad as we Canadians spend a lot on hotels, beer, and gas. Really could keep the money in Canada for a tour even. But there isn't the same amount of options for places to go. And all the aforementioned items are usually cheaper in the US. [Unless you get a long weekend where the hotel prices are JACKED up.] Beer at a gas station - who knew that's be a great idea?

I never compared the new HD pricing Can vs US, but that is pretty awful. I'm not 100% sure how it could be done, but if you had a place [address] to store a new cycle, keep it there for 6 months or whatever, then bring it across...

I mean you'd have to do all the RIV b.s. and Crappy Tire inspection. Pay the Taxes. But you might make out alright that way...

Maybe I just don't like the crappy winters.

[Oh Canada...]

Quick Reply: Sales are down 35%, are Canadians fed up?