Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Paint chips in fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 PM
skooter2000fb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint chips in fuel tank

Im replaceing the petcock on my fuel tank and found grey paint chips inside the tank. Does anyone know what i should do? I have blown alot of them out of the tank with air but have concerns on whats going on inside there. The more I blow air in there the more paint chips come out.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck---------sounds like what ever sealer they had in the tank is giving up.You have a few choices some good some not so good.you can be careful and try and put acetone or lacquer thinner in the tank and slosh it around to see if it loosens more or just use a aircraft paint stripper .With all of these you risk tank damage paint wise.Or you can just blow the **** out of it then put a tank selaer in it.I prefer the red stuff like the bmw guys use on their classic bikes but you can also use creme.I dont like this way but you usually can save the paint on the outside of the tank for sure with this stuff.The last option is to soda blast it all and repaint whats left,I have tried just doing the inside but it seems the blasting makes heat and static electricity and the outer paint comes off

Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as was mentioned your tank liner is callign it quit's it happens. drain your tank and remove all lines and fittings, plug all openings except the filler with soemthing liek cork or rubber stoppers then tightly wrap the tank in saranwrap * i prefer the industrial kind used for wrapping pallets. cut out an opening aaround the fill cap and fill abotu half way with aircraft stripper or if you can find it MEK. do this step out doors and DO NOT smoke or have any source of spark or flame nearby. seal up the tank and slosh the tank around trying to get the stripper to touch as much as possible and then let it sit for24-48 hours sealed up . now carefully cut out the plastic wrap around the petcock and drain tank. inspect and repeat as needed to get all the crap out. then use a QUALITY tank lining kit and follow the instructiosn exactly. i have had really good results with the POR15 tank linign kit for motorcycles eons ahead of the Kreem and redkote brands IMHO as far as ease of use and quality.

use a good quality glove durign al;l this aircraft stripper and MEK are especially nasty stuff to work with

Last edited by NSCoyote; 01-30-2013 at 02:51 PM.