Custom Models All custom bikes.

Question about evo motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:15 PM
ink n bones
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about evo motor

Hey all, so I've yet to really get my hands on an Evo to really check one out and just had a quick question for any folks that might know. So I'm building a rigid bobber and most likely going to be using an Evo for reliability sake ,
so my question is , now i know the evo has a kinda one shot motor tranny combo there and i was just wandering how easy it is to install a kicker , im planning on building a kick only bike , and additionally how easy it is to upgrade the tranny , like if they have a kit that i can just do a swap on eventually going to want to upgrade to a baker if the parts are there of coarse

thanks for the info

Brandon

Oh and i posted this here because im more or less looking for info on customizing an evo and not keeping it stock

Last edited by ink n bones; 08-23-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:23 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't answer much about the choice of transmissions for you. There are aftermarket kickstart set ups for MOST transmissions but you need to know what you have (or are about to buy) to be sure about the availability of a kick start setup for that year/model transmission. As far as the frame goes, you need to make sure it will accept an Evo engine. Shovelhead and earlier engines are shorter in height than the Evo.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:44 PM
ink n bones
Novice

thanks for the reply , yea i haven't made any firm decisions on what year to pick up prob a good 4 months down the line just trying to make sure im heading the right direction for what im building and id just prefer an evo for the daily driver aspect of things , I'm pretty sure my frame will take an evo at least so i was told when i picked scooped it up from the shop i found it at, anyone by chance know what the height clearance should be from the engine mounts to the top of the frame ?

Thanks

Brandon

Old 08-24-2008, 06:07 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

What frame did you score?

Transmission and kicker - If you can't grab onto a Baker 'cause of the bucks involved, a kicker can be added to a stock-type tranny. I've been told to make sure to get the kit that replaces the whole shaft and not the add-on. You pretty much get what you pay for.... The kicker kit will make the tranny wider on the right side. Normal pipes won't fit. Look at the pics in any catalog and it's easy to see why - most travel over the end of the tranny cover.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:01 PM
ink n bones
Novice

Well im not sure about the brand of the frame i got the roller in a deal from a local shop but they didn't build it , looks like pretty much every other rigid sporty frame here's a pick of it with the tank and roller , if i can get it to post that is ... we'll see

Good to know about the pipes i was thinking about just fabricating a set off of the stock flange anyway so i guess that will make that decision for me
yea realistically i imagine ill prob try and stick with a stock tranny for a short while just to get it up and running but def want to install the kicker before she hits the road and just eventually upgrade to a baker ,

here's the pick ... hope it works i have bad luck with these things -

Thanks - Brandon

Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Umm, it ain't a Sporty frame. And you should have received a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), or a title with that thing. Without one or the other, "Houston, we have a problem!"

Old 08-24-2008, 09:29 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The frame should have come with an MSO or MCO. In most states you need this to register it. It would also allow you to contact the manufacturer and find out the specifics of the frame.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 PM
ink n bones
Novice

yea but theres a nice little loop hole in Texas when it comes to a donor frame if you want to keep your harley title you have to keep the old frame with the vin and claim it as damaged do your engine swap yadda yadda , and as long as the original frame is in your possession and you can prove that yes here is the vin on my eng and here is the vin on the original frame ( helps if its actually damaged ) then you get to keep your title , i wouldn't have believed it either but i know shops that have done it and been straight up with the state about it and they allow it but only as long as you keep the original frame if you ever lose it or sell it scrap it anything then your screwed and the title is no more

Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

evo can take a variety of trannys.
my evo still has its original 4speed kickstart.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ink n bones
yea but theres a nice little loop hole in Texas when it comes to a donor frame if you want to keep your harley title you have to keep the old frame with the vin and claim it as damaged do your engine swap yadda yadda , and as long as the original frame is in your possession and you can prove that yes here is the vin on my eng and here is the vin on the original frame ( helps if its actually damaged ) then you get to keep your title , i wouldn't have believed it either but i know shops that have done it and been straight up with the state about it and they allow it but only as long as you keep the original frame if you ever lose it or sell it scrap it anything then your screwed and the title is no more
You might do OK as long as you stay in Texas, but when you decide to hit another state a cop will look at your frame numbers, see they aren't factory stamped, and take your bike. You'll probably get it back once you can show that it is legal in Texas, but how long will that take?

Quick Reply: Question about evo motor