Custom Models All custom bikes.

My 72 XS650 Hardtail Sorta Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My 72 XS650 Hardtail Sorta Build Thread

Sooo....Ive been having this thing since July and realistically it was the first motorcycle I owned. I picked it up because I wanted a cheap, cool project to call my own and the XS650 seemed like a good project. My original intent was to find a stocker, cut the frame and hardtail it myself, basically start from scratch. However finding one well priced proved to be rather difficult. I was able to find this one already done up(sorta) the way I wanted for cheap($1000). It has a shifting issue but Ive already bought the parts to fix it for $60 so I think I made out well.

Anywho, the reason I call it a sorta build is because like mentioned it already had a good bit of things I wanted. However the more I looked at it the more I hated it in its current form. The lines didnt flow right, the tank sits too high, the sissy bar looks out of place, the rear fender is too flat, the tail light is junk, the exhaust is crappy, the battery box looked odd, the wiring and cable routing was kinda crappy done and on and on.

And so it began...ripping off the old crap, grinding, welding, grinding more. Ordering new crap. Then school and life happened and it's had to sit for the last few months. So as it sits now it's basically a bare frame awaiting a few finishing touches. So Im starting this thread to help keep myself motivated as I really want to get this thing finished.

Things Ive changed/added/bought/etc

2.2 peanut Sporty tank with a deep tunnell
TC Bros forward controls/linkage, battery box and faux oil tank
Gordon Scott Engineering exhaust
and a few other odds and ends

Should be dropping the wheels off to be PC'ed by next week. I want to do something a little different. So the frame will be black. The wheels and tins will be white.

Anywho....pics.

When I picked it up.

As it sat before I broke out the grinder...

New tank...I had to chop out the next gussetts for it to sit lower.

And here's how it was left once I got busy with school...needless to say I upgraded stands.

Anywho....more progress to follow as I go along. Ive convinced myself I need a swift kick in the nuts if I just abandon this build.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 PM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool project, looks like your off to a good start, anywho....

Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool. I'd love to be doing this myself. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

nice! i have done a 650 build and ride with a buddy that has a 650 chopper and a sporty! hahaha very cool man!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 AM
HERE
Road Warrior

Thanks! Unfortunately due to low funds(product of being a broke *** college student) it wont be able to recieve the full treatment I intended for it. Mainly meaning a DNA -2 Springer front end/disk brake setup and 21" wheel. Might have to wait until next winter. Im pretty excited about it though. They seem to be fairly rare around here. Heck Ive only ever seen 2 other 650's in my life, one in Daytona beach and another street tracker build locally that was likely gonna be kept in a bubble.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

they are great bikes man! awesome sound, cult following, and produce some gooood powder!

Old 01-01-2011, 04:25 PM
icufltrn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like those bikes, look cool and sound nice too. put in xs 650 on you tube and you can see lots of them.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great bro.I love the xs 650 and been wanting to build one. Maybe one day just cant stop spending $$$$ on my Harley.What kind of hard tail is that, it looks custom.It doesnt appear to be a TC Bros,G&L,or even a David Byrd.Detroit Bros sells a sick wasell style deep tunnel tank.A bit pricey though and not sure of the quality.Seems you did a great job with that peanut though.What year is it.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by icufltrn
I really like those bikes, look cool and sound nice too. put in xs 650 on you tube and you can see lots of them.

Even mine I did this back when I first bought it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYWULMgWNs

Originally Posted by Malingerer
That looks great bro.I love the xs 650 and been wanting to build one. Maybe one day just cant stop spending $$$$ on my Harley.What kind of hard tail is that, it looks custom.It doesnt appear to be a TC Bros,G&L,or even a David Byrd.Detroit Bros sells a sick wasell style deep tunnel tank.A bit pricey though and not sure of the quality.Seems you did a great job with that peanut though.What year is it.

The orginal owner told me who made the hardtail and I forgot. Ive been wanting to figure out who made it. The peanut tank is an aftermarket peice....$75 on ebay brand new. Cant beat that. Later on I want to find another one to build into a cafe racer. They're getting harder and harder to find.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:44 AM
toby61
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice bike

Quick Reply: My 72 XS650 Hardtail Sorta Build Thread