Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Black bike protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Blacklimited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Black bike protection

Riding season is almost here and this the first year I have a touring bike with fairing. I'm wondering what product I should be using for best look and protection on a black ultra? I always used meguiars on my black heritage and like the look but didn't have a big fairing taking all of the abuse. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 996 Likes on 592 Posts

I just apply a coat of wax and reapply every couple months. I use detail spray in between to clean of bugs.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:44 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I just apply a coat of wax and reapply every couple months. I use detail spray in between to clean of bugs.
That's about it.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

It's B L A C K ... The most beautiful when freshly detailed and viewed at about 6:00 pm with the sun setting in the background ... other wise it's a full time job to keep it "flawlessly fresh" . As others have mentioned, keep a coat of wax on it and don't be all "touchy/feely" ( save that for your girlfriend ).

The following users liked this post:
UltraTech (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 03:28 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Get a clay bat kit. Clay the paint. Apply a good paint sealant. Then wax it as needed. Use good quality microfiber and don't rub in circles. Black is probably the nicest color when properly maintained.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Blacklimited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any particular sealant or wax work better?

Old 03-26-2017, 04:48 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blacklimited
Any particular sealant or wax work better?
If 50 people respond you will get 50 different recommendations. I personally use Adams Polishes. They are 100% made in USA and they answer the phone. No robots or anything and everyone that works there is an expert in detailing.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 996 Likes on 592 Posts

I wouldn't clay bar new paint. It's a waste of time.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:48 PM
UltraTech
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacklimited
Riding season is almost here and this the first year I have a touring bike with fairing. I'm wondering what product I should be using for best look and protection on a black ultra? I always used meguiars on my black heritage and like the look but didn't have a big fairing taking all of the abuse. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
i have an 08 ultra in that sparkly black, whatever they called it, green in the morning, kinda purply blue in the afternoon, black in garage. i wash it once a year whether it needs it or not. use bug and tar remover from the auto store on the front. soak it down, let it soak (not in the sun) get a pail of hot soapy dawn dish detergent water and toss on the front, then use a sponge to get the more subborn bugs off, but usally they come off with the water. this year i have committed to a full wax and polish, (didnt do either last year) bike has about 65k on it now, good wash, wax and polish on the chorme and it will look fantastic at 70mph. not much for sitting at bike night. its a bike. if its nice enough out to polish it its nice enough out to ride it. also ride it to work 70mi one way as much as possible.
just treated it to some led daymakers and passing lamp overide harness.
i only ever use that maguiers. use the cleaner wax when its bad, the caranuba otherwise. always comes up nice. this year i got a good bash from some butt holes mirror on the fairing i got to buff out somehow.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:04 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I wouldn't clay bar new paint. It's a waste of time.
I have had brand new cars that are full of contaminants from shipping. Especially if it came by railroad.

Quick Reply: Black bike protection