Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Superchips Vigilante EZ Review**

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:36 AM
LIMITLESS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
New Tuner Install
So I got home from work saturday and sitting on the counter waiting for me was the Vigilante EZ Tuner. First thing I did was head out to the bike, pulled the seat off and removed the Xieds from the bike, started it up and let it run for about five minutes so the ECM could get actual readings from the O2 sensors. Headed back into the house, opened up the box, checked out everything and read over the intruction book once. Downloaded the software, updated the firmware on the tuner and went out to the bike. Noticed while reading over the instructions that it doesn't mention applying power to the bike (turn the key on) and moving the switch to "Run", it only says switch must be on, someone without some basic mechanical skills could simply move the switch to on and spend forever trying to figure out that the key power should also be applied. Also noticed that much of the instruction is like this, nothing in the book discribing what each selection/option does or can provide to the user. I went thru each selection seeing what was offered and after a few minutes of getting to know the tuner I figured I would get back to changing the tune on my bike. Selected the "Other" when selecting the exhaust, selected the "Duals" (recommended by Superchips tech support) and selected one of the two programs listed (not the six that tech support said I would have). Then selected the "high flow" intake and progressed on. The tuner spent a minute or so downloading the bikes stock tune and then ask to load the new tune, another minute or so it said to power everything down for a minimum of 20 seconds. After about a minute I removed the tuner and started the bike up, first I noticed that it started with less hesitation and that the idle RPM dropped considerably and sounded more like a Harley.

My first ride/tank on the tune.
Got gas and went for a ride saturday after the install for about 40 miles, road yesterday (sunday) for about 110 miles and then into work this morning (another 17 miles), bike is sitting at 167 miles on the trip and the gas light came on while riding in this morning, says I have about 25 miles left on the tank. I usually fill up around 175 with the "Lo" on the screen, pushing 180 miles to the tank gets me around 4 gallons of gas. So if I can get 8 more miles out of those 25 remaining estimated miles then I am doing about the same milage wise, if I get more then that I am doing better (I'll give it a few tanks to average out).

Noticed Performance
Bike does not get as hot when sitting in traffic, I noticed next to no heat at my thigh area. I am not sure if the tune removed the rear jug shut-off or not, guess I need a hotter day for that to figure out. If it did remove it, thanks be to GOD, I hated that function. The RPM's thru the gears seems to have lowered allowing me to push each gear a little longer, always back and forth between 5th and 6th when riding at 60mph, now 5th was smooth and steady all the way up to 65 before asking for the gear change.

Overall first ride/tank review
The tuner feels and performs way better then the stock tune and with the added Xieds. Milage seems to be as good if not a little better then before which is a good thing. For the price it is a good tuner (so far) to start out with when tuning a new unmodified bike or one with any of the stage 1 add-ons. I ride all year round as long as there is no ice or snow on the road, so I should be able to update this over the winter season and into the spring and summer.

I have been looking into the Thundermax for my bike because I do a lot of traveling over different elevations and the monitoring and tune mamagement of that system better suits my needs (in theory), but I will give this tuner a chance and see how it does on my different riding conditions.
Nice review ^^^ Just ordered mine..for $150 bucks its an easy choice..I haven't been impressed with the Harley Download I have been running. Bike runs "okay" but I get a ton of popping on decal and have been told by more than one person, that with V&H Short Shots and SE AC, I definitely want Xieds at the very least because the HD Download still has to abide by the Federal emissions BS, so I'm probably running a little lean. I'll post up my impressions once it comes in.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:49 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMITLESS
Nice review ^^^ Just ordered mine..for $150 bucks its an easy choice..I haven't been impressed with the Harley Download I have been running. Bike runs "okay" but I get a ton of popping on decal and have been told by more than one person, that with V&H Short Shots and SE AC, I definitely want Xieds at the very least because the HD Download still has to abide by the Federal emissions BS, so I'm probably running a little lean. I'll post up my impressions once it comes in.
That was the one thing I forgot to mention, the decel popping. It has decreased considerably, but is still there.

I stopped to fill the bike up at exactly 180 miles on the tank and put in exactly 4 gallons, so I am still getting my 45 miles to the gallon.

I will be running these tune for a few tanks to get an average, then I will change the tune to the other recommended tune from the tech support and see how things change, if at all.

A little background history of my ride.
I ran the bike stock exhaust and intake for around two years after buying the bike (no popping). Added the AC and ran it for a few months (still no popping) before adding the Xieds and removing the baffles and installing Cycle Shack baffles (popping and annoyingly loud). That setup was obnoxious and I needed to find some exhaust quickly. Was at an event and found a great deal on the Rineharts I have ($250) so I picked them up and had them installed (broke a stud, removing the exhaust myself, guess 25k miles will lead to that). After the exhaust were installed everything sounded great and ran nicely (still a good amount of decel popping and was expected), everyonce and a while when the bike was hot and restarted after being shutdown for a few minutes (getting gas) it would misfire like and pop from the AC, then start right up on next try. I knew it was the fact that I was running the high flow intake, performance exhaust and the Xied's and the bikes fuel management wasn't tuned, just tricked. After adding the tuner, the bike has started consistently quickly, only had one time it wouldn't start on the first push, maybe just a fluk, we'll see.

More to come on the tuner.......

Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Ok...I've rode the Dyna back and forth from work a few times and the last time on the way home I noticed the 6th gear indicator light was intermittent. Today on the way in the no indicator light at all. Called Superchips this morning and they want me to flash the bike back to stock and see if the light is coming on or not. Might just be the bike, so flashing it back to stock should let me know. The light worked fine prior to the Vigilante flash but the intermittent part of the first day has me kinda confused.

Wasn't a problem getting hold of them, talked to someone right away so we'll see where this goes as far as a customer service point from them.

Not like the indicator light is a big deal or anything but at least this gives me a chance to review their customer service.

I'll keep you posted.

blueangel73...have you noticed anything?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by craigffb
Ok...I've rode the Dyna back and forth from work a few times and the last time on the way home I noticed the 6th gear indicator light was intermittent. Today on the way in the no indicator light at all. Called Superchips this morning and they want me to flash the bike back to stock and see if the light is coming on or not. Might just be the bike, so flashing it back to stock should let me know. The light worked fine prior to the Vigilante flash but the intermittent part of the first day has me kinda confused.

Wasn't a problem getting hold of them, talked to someone right away so we'll see where this goes as far as a customer service point from them.

Not like the indicator light is a big deal or anything but at least this gives me a chance to review their customer service.

I'll keep you posted.

blueangel73...have you noticed anything?
This is interesting to say the least. I was always under the impression that the 6th gear indicator was a mechanical part, maybe I am wrong. Maybe its is a sensor that in the PC that reads both RPM ranges and speed and determines thru a mathmatical equation what gear you are in, I have never put the bike into 6th while not moving to see if it reconizes the gear when the clutch is just slightly let out enought to not stall the bike and let the light come on. I do know that when the clutch is pulled in the light will go out, maybe disgaging the senson signal. As I mentioned in my write up, I noticed that the RPMs dropped on my bike, this is why I thought of what I just wrote, could be totally off. If this is the case, maybe its something that isn't changed in the tune program because it was an issue that really isn't anymore then a signal to a light and something that Superchips will have to update. I also thought of this because its is how the Dakota Digital I had on my sporty was set up to read gears (RPM and Speed together, and it was always touch and go with it).

I will check for this thru the RPM range and speeds while I am riding and see if I get something like you are getting. I don't get to play with 6th much, I live in a rural area and getting to that gear comes and goes based on the road being open or not (congested traffic wise).

As for the customer support, I haven't called them, but their email response is very quick (1-2 hours at the most). I am very happy with that aspect of their tech support so far.

Seeing as to how this is a new tuner, I am expecting a little fine tuning of things here and there, this issue just might be one of them. I am sure that their firmware and options will increase a lot over the next year or so as they get feed back from customers and add new specific exhaust systems and intakes to the system. Based on the list that can be viewed on the tuner, I can also see the option of added tuning for engine upgrades. They had to get their foot in the door, now our testing and feedback will help them expand and fine tune the tuning ability of the tuner, it will never be a dyno equivilant, but it could be a big competitor to the Moto, FuelPak, Cobra and other similar base tuners.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

ECM sends the signal...speed and RPMs. That's why I think it's from the tune. I need to check the big bike and see if it's working. I rode it to work the last two day and to be honest with you I just really didn't pay any attention to it...but I think it's been working...LOL

Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Craig. Did you happen to also notice an idle RPM decrease also on the Bob. If so, that what leads me to think is could be the issue, that program on the ECM is still at stock parameters while everything else has changed/decreased.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Craig. Did you happen to also notice an idle RPM decrease also on the Bob. If so, that what leads me to think is could be the issue, that program on the ECM is still at stock parameters while everything else has changed/decreased.
Honestly Bro I couldn't tell you. I ride the Dyna but not a lot. The idle seems to be fine and and the same as it was before. But that's from coming from a guy who only rides this particular bike maybe once a week. Without a tach on it I don't have a clue.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Got on the highway on the way home from work. First 7 miles no 6 gear light....then it came on. Just like last week when I rode the Dyna to work....WTF.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:56 AM
jojo1dog
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

there are upgrades on sparks, just downloaded them, made a difference, bike is quicker and has a higher idle, will see what it does for mileage, so far happy with this tuner, and the fact you leave nothing on the bike is a plus.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:18 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jojo1dog
there are upgrades on sparks, just downloaded them, made a difference, bike is quicker and has a higher idle, will see what it does for mileage, so far happy with this tuner, and the fact you leave nothing on the bike is a plus.
Are these new updates that were loaded after this past saturday (9/27/14)?

Quick Reply: **Superchips Vigilante EZ Review**