Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Superchips Vigilante EZ Review**

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts
Default **Superchips Vigilante EZ Review**

I was selected to receive a FREE Superchips Vigilante EZ tuner from a little contest that was run on the Forum a while ago. I received them (yes them, they were kind enough to send me one for each bike) Friday so I figured I got ahead and flash the bike and start with the feed back/review.

** I RECEIVED THIS FROM SUPERCHIPS TO PROVIDE FEED BACK TO THE FORUM OF THE PRODUCT. I'M NOT HERE TO ARGUE IF THE PRODUCT IS GOOD OR BAD...THAT'S UP TO YOU TO MAKE THE DECISION. I ALSO DON'T CARE THAT YOU HAVE BRAND X TUNER AND YOU THINK IT'S BETTER. **

Information can be found on the tuner at the link provided: http://superchips.com/cat/hd/

The Vigilante EZ is a hand held tuner that flashes the ECM trough the diagnostic port on the bike to compensate for a Stage 1 and Stage 1 only exhaust and high flow intake upgrade.

The tuner is super easy to use as long as you can read and follow basic menu instructions. Which I'm sure everyone on this forum can do.

Let me first say that if you want to be the Dyno shootout King or are planing on squeaking out Andrew Hines in the 1/4 mile at the strip...THIS TUNER IS NOT FOR YOU. It's just a basic stage 1 tuner that will allow the bike to run descent and you to upload the tune yourself.

Some of the up sides to this tuner is it's a flash tuner that does not stay on the bike and it's also a diagnostic code reader, which ain't bad for the price.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:02 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

The first thing you will need to do is download the SPARKsoftware updater from the Superchips web page: http://superchips.com/updates/

This will allow you to register the tuner and upload the most up to date software and tunes in to the tuner.

NOTE: I treid to download the SPARK software with Firefox and didn't have much luck. I then tried internet explore and it worked just fine. I read it won't work with a Mac so if that's all you have you might want to check and make sure.

Once the SPARK program is downloaded plug in the tuner to the computer with the supplied cable. The computer will recognize the tuner and search for the files to start the process. Once all the correct file are loaded it will register the tuner and the program will check for updates.

If any updates are found go ahead and load them.

Once the updates are loaded you be ready to go to the bike.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:11 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Once your at the bike find the diagnostic port. On my 2010 it's behind the left side cover. Plug the tuner in. Only goes in one way.

Once the tuner is plugged in turn the ignition switch to the on position.

And the run/stop switch to run. DON'T START THE BIKE

This will power up the tuner.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:19 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Now you can start the tuning process.

Select Tune Vehicle with the center OK button.

The next screen will ask for the exhaust manufacturer.

Once you select the manufacturer with the OK button it will go to the next page for the model of exhaust. For my case it was Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-2. Again select with OK.

Next you will select the Intake. Even though Screaming Eagle is list it seem the tuner only care if it's a highflow intake or a stock intake. I selected other cause a have a Vance & Hines Naked VO2. When I went back through the info it had SE listed for my intake. So I guess they figure a highflow is a highflow.

Once you have the exhaust and intake selected the tuner will build a file for you. Press OK to continue.

The tuner will read the ECM.

And save the stock ECM file. Your Factory tune or what ever is in the ECM now. Another screen will come up saying the Stock File is saved and you'll hit OK again.

Once the file or map is built it will ask if you want to install TUNING. Select YES.

Once the new tune is installed press OK to Continue.

And you're done.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:26 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

The whole process is very fast and easy to do.

Now for my impression of the tuner so far.

The Bike fires right up and idles nice and smooth. With my old tuner there was a slight hesitation on start up...it's gone.

Power and nice and smooth as well as shifting through the gears and throttle responce. The bike does feel like it has a little less grunt on hard throttle then it did with the old tuner.

With the old tuner I had a ton of deceleration popping as well as some occasional popping between the 1st and 2nd shift....completely gone.

So far I'm happy with the Vigilante tuner on the Dyna. In my case it was much more noticeable on the Street Bob then it was on the Street Glide. I can here the pipes scavenging but there is absolutely ZERO decel popping.

I like the fact that it flashes the ECM and doesn't stay on the bike, I can do it my self, and it's easy to use.

If you have any question please ask and I'll answer them if I can.

More updates will follow.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice review and walk through.

This might be a good way to go instead of the screaming eagle tuner.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:04 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

How much do they cost? An ECU flash in NZ is 400 bucks at the H-D dealership.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:52 AM
IronHyena
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it get rid of all decell popping whit my 103 ci and road rage ill get one

Last edited by IronHyena; 09-21-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 735 Likes on 505 Posts

That sounds like you got a pretty good deal on that, good for you, both bikes to boot. nice!

I don't want to alarm you though but, in the first photo it appears that Satan is watching you from behind and in some of your later photos, if that's your reflection on the "OK" button you might want to swing by the clinic and have your vitals checked

Old 09-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Sapper364
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if there was any reason to flash a stock bike. Does it improve performance on the factory settings?

Quick Reply: **Superchips Vigilante EZ Review**