Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Street Bob V&H Big Radius Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 AM
ravsta
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Street Bob V&H Big Radius Upgrade

Hi Folks

It's beena while since I posted up here. Part exchanged the 48 for a brand new Street Bob which I picked up yesterday. The obvious ****le is the sound of the bike so I've ordered V&H Big Radius 2 in 2 which will arrive Friday.

Anyone have any experience of changing a full system on the newer models? Anything I need to be mindful of?

Also note that there is an EXUP Servo motor mounted to the exhaust, from my sports bike days I know the old trick is to simply leave the cable in place so to trick the system because removal without an eliminator plug will throw an error of some description.

I'm planning on doing the full stage one over the next couple of weeks but starting with the largest item, the exhaust.

As usual, your good advice is always appreciated.

Thank you
Ravsta

Old 10-01-2014, 09:16 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I can't speak to modifications that may be EU specific, but I did my Stage 1 on 2014 SB with no challenges (and having never worked on a motorcycle before).

In my case I used Python's, which are made by V&H so I would assume similar instructions, support brackets, etc. Some people will tell you to replace the header gaskets any time you change the exhaust, I did not since the bike was only a few weeks old. I checked for leaks and had no problems.

So long as you follow the instructions it's really quite simple, took me about 2.5 hours and that was with a 7 year old "helping" so it really should have been less inclusive of removal of the stock exhaust.

Only tip is to make sure that you have some decent extensions for your socket wrenches, a couple of the header bolts are tough to reach! Also, in my case just because I get goofy sometimes I used some sticky labels to put on my 02 sensors for front and back just in case I mixed them up.

One last thing, is if you plan to put quiet baffles in, maybe do that before install, makes it much easier down the line.

Good luck and have fun

Old 10-01-2014, 09:40 AM
ravsta
Novice

Hey thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. One quick question on the Stage 1, did you go the fuel pack/PC/Remap route? Your bike looks pretty sick by the way.
Thanks again!

Old 10-01-2014, 11:00 AM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are getting the black pipes be very careful with them. They seem to chip easily. Clean them with a damp cloth before running the bike (remove fingerprints) and I recommend going by the torque specs and not guessing. You don't want removal issues down the road. Its' a pretty easy thing to do though, just take your time.

I did mine when it had 100 miles. RSD aircleaner, short shots, V&H FP3 tuner with a preprogrammed map and it runs perfect.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ravsta
Hey thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. One quick question on the Stage 1, did you go the fuel pack/PC/Remap route? Your bike looks pretty sick by the way.
Thanks again!
Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, first I did the AC and then went with the Fuel Pack (FP3), which for my needs was perfect although I did end up auto-tuning and even goofing around with some of the other features. It made for a really nice difference in ride quality even with the original pipes. Then after I replaced the exhaust I re-tuned.

I'm told that V&H is working on FP3 functionality for those that go beyond Stage 1, the joys of technology and firmware updates if it happens. Still, most would probably agree that if you know that future engine work like cams are in the plans to look at the Power Vision or a tuner with more capabilities than the FP3.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

for the active exhaust motor, you have two choices : - remove the cable and let the motor alone - remove the motor also and put an Active Exhaust bypass i did the second when going to stage1 on my 2014 Street Bob, i prefered to remove the useless exup motor for the bypass plug, get a Pistor or a Dynojet from W&W cycles

Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 AM
ravsta
Novice

This is why I love this forum, the voice of experience. Thanks Guys. I'm getting the chrome pipes as I have some experience of the black ones from my 883 Iron days and I found as CACruiserHD stated they mark very easily. Also I like something to polish

CACruiserHD - that's a sexy mean looking machine all blacked out.
Frederic - thanks for the advice regarding the EXUP, from what I can see the motor peice is held on to the exhaust frame so I will figure out the best move upon installation and update on how it goes.

RobbyVille - From what I've read on previous posts regarding fuelling/filter/exhaust changes, Given that I'll only be changing the exhaust for now, hopefully the bike's ECM will be able to cope with the change without need for an immediate remap otherwise it'll be a few hundred pounds more to get the bike running right in which case I may as well buy a big sucker and go full stage 1. Thanks for your advice!

Cheers Guys!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:14 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ravsta
This is why I love this forum, the voice of experience. Thanks Guys. I'm getting the chrome pipes as I have some experience of the black ones from my 883 Iron days and I found as CACruiserHD stated they mark very easily. Also I like something to polish

CACruiserHD - that's a sexy mean looking machine all blacked out.
Frederic - thanks for the advice regarding the EXUP, from what I can see the motor peice is held on to the exhaust frame so I will figure out the best move upon installation and update on how it goes.

RobbyVille - From what I've read on previous posts regarding fuelling/filter/exhaust changes, Given that I'll only be changing the exhaust for now, hopefully the bike's ECM will be able to cope with the change without need for an immediate remap otherwise it'll be a few hundred pounds more to get the bike running right in which case I may as well buy a big sucker and go full stage 1. Thanks for your advice!

Cheers Guys!
Great to hear and good luck! I've also been told the same thing that so long as you only perform one change out that the re-tune is not necessary. I would tend to believe it as well.

I will say though, that at least here in the US, the factory tune is so restrictive that flashing even a canned map with stock parts made a huge difference in performance. I'm not a speed freak, it had nothing to do with increased horse power or torque (don't get me wrong that's more fun too), but simply throttle smoothness and response even when taking off from a stop.

So save those Euros, because you're going to want to tune that beautiful new bike at some point!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:12 AM
ravsta
Novice

Originally Posted by robbyville
Great to hear and good luck! I've also been told the same thing that so long as you only perform one change out that the re-tune is not necessary. I would tend to believe it as well.

I will say though, that at least here in the US, the factory tune is so restrictive that flashing even a canned map with stock parts made a huge difference in performance. I'm not a speed freak, it had nothing to do with increased horse power or torque (don't get me wrong that's more fun too), but simply throttle smoothness and response even when taking off from a stop.

So save those Euros, because you're going to want to tune that beautiful new bike at some point!
Thanks - I'm seriously considering getting the ECM remapped over the next couple of weeks. I was thinking of the new FP but to stay within the HD 2 year warranty I might get them to flash the ECM. At least then it's done to their expectations/standards/reccomendations - just in case I get an issue with the bike which could be connected to changes that I made.

I've dyno'd sports bikes in the past with power commanders and I have to admit that the throttle response was much smoother as you pointed out.

I'll get the exhaust on tomorrow and then take it for a test ride. If it's OK, then I'll live with it until the end of the month and work towards a full stage 1 and get the filter and remapping done at the same time. I'm sure I'll feel the difference

Thanks matey.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The valve motor is just under the seat, held by 2 screws
This is the exhaust valve itself that is one the rear exhaust pipe. Default position (motor off) is closed so if you remove the motor you have to find a way to jam it open, or put an US pipe without exup valve.

Quick Reply: 2015 Street Bob V&H Big Radius Upgrade