Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

install reduced reach forwards

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 01:43 AM
apetterez
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install reduced reach forwards

What do I do to install them. Any instructions or advice you guys can give?

Old 11-01-2014, 02:23 AM
bessee
Intermediate

Kind of a pain in the *** because you may have to remove or at least substantially loosen up the exhaust system in order to easily install the new brake rod (at least with the FXDF that's the case). The end result is worth the effort, no more stretch to the rear brake pedal. It's pretty straight forward, the brake rod was the only problem I encountered.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:35 AM
daveblank
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What brand are you installing? That will be my next major mod.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wife took over my 06 Superglide last year when I bought a Street Glide. I installed them for her. Very easy to do except.....

Went to remove the old brake rod from the rear master cylinder and rung it off. Ordered new master cylinder and all was good. Rest of it was a snap.

Soak your old brake rod with penetrating oil before you try to unthread it.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:46 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I switched to further forward mid controls. Love em. Wish I had ordered the bike with them.
Roger

Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 AM
bessee
Intermediate
Default The OEM option

|What brand are you installing? That will be my next major mod.

I used the OEM Reduced Reach Conversion Kit. It only makes sense, if you're modifying something that critical and the MOCO has an option available, it's the path of least resistance. The only item in the kit that's a critical component (brake rod) has some design flaws. It'll become obvious as you reassemble.

I do have to warn you the OEM instructions are poor at best. Any person with the tools on hand to accomplish this can easily handle the job. But you'd think a fortune 500 brand and organization could produce a good set of instructions - the ones included in the kit are truly not worth the paper they're printed on.

Last edited by bessee; 11-02-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: improper name
Old 11-02-2014, 07:13 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bessee
|What brand are you installing? That will be my next major mod.

I used the OEM Reduced Reach Conversion Kit. It only makes sense, if you're modifying something that critical and the MOCO has an option available, it's the path of least resistance. The only item in the kit that's a critical component (brake rod) has some design flaws. It'll become obvious as you reassemble.

I do have to warn you the OEM instructions are poor at best. Any person with the tools on hand to accomplish this can easily handle the job. But you'd think a fortune 500 brand and organization could produce a good set of instructions - the ones included in the kit are truly not worth the paper they're printed on.

understanding chinese helps

Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 PM
apetterez
Road Captain
Default anyone have torque values

For this install. 2003 fxd

Old 11-02-2014, 09:20 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

it was one of the easiest jobs I have done.
Since you will have the brake side off go ahead and change the brake rod at the same time. do not fasten yet. Only have it in place with the pin in. Take your time the rod may not fit but one way.
Our 2010 was easy. Day before or night before just spay it will a good oil, wd40 will work. other than that there's nothing to it.
The plates will only work one way. Small plate to the left side, the bigger plate goes on the right.
I put a set on the wide glide, helped a bunch so I made another set using the hd set. Now I have them o the wide glide and super glide.
If using the kuryakyn set you can re use the factory brake rod. Some cutting will be needed on the brake rod mount for the pegs.but not much.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Le Vizir
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I do that

Easy if you have the goodest torx and a tube for a stronger way ! I ride with it since few months and i enjoy ^^

Quick Reply: install reduced reach forwards