Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Intiminators

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 03:32 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I don't understand why you would do that if you don't want to remove the fork tubes. You pump out the oil from the top. When I had the stock handlebars I had to take them off, but I switched to drag bars and now it's a 20 minute job. As long as you have the clearance to get the fork caps off, you don't need to take any thing else apart. With the motion pro, it will take the measurement from the middle the way it designed.
Use 10w amsoil fork oil for the 49mm forks and 5w if you have an older dyna. (pre 2006 I believe)

To each their own but I don't see any point in taking the forks off on a bike that only has around 5-10,000 miles or you need fork seals. Even Brian at ricor installs them with the forks on and it works and it's simple. You are also going to use a little less fork oil since the intimidators will take up some space or you can measure the oil with the intimidators in and use the amount specified in the manual. Just make sure the intimidators are sunk all the way to the bottom of the tubes and the forks are extended all the way. And yes, that is measurement is per tube. I had to buy a 35mm socket and got a long impact socket. I would reccomend the long one to get the fork caps started without the wrench..much easier to grab so you can push and turn at the same time.

Make sure you are using a good quality or modded jack for stability since you will be pushing on the front end to get the fork caps back on. Always better to have an extra person for that step.

A big plus to using the traxxion straight rate springs is they don't require near the preload of the stock springs and the fork caps go on real easy. Just be prepared to do some trial and error to get the sag right...if you don't, you won't get the awesome results.
Will do thanks. I think monster was talking about taking off the front wheel which I assume is needed in order to compress the forks a few times once new oil is in to get air bubbles out? I was wondering if I could do the whole job without taking the wheel or the forks off.

I'm going to look into the traxion springs but assuming they are the same length as stock and assuming I was happy with current sag then I should be able to get away with simply cutting the spacer to subtract the height of the intiminator's correct? Also should I plan to replace the o-rings under the caps?

Last edited by robbyville; 12-18-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Will do thanks. I think monster was talking about taking off the front wheel which I assume is needed in order to compress the forks a few times once new oil is in to get air bubbles out? I was wondering if I could do the whole job without taking the wheel or the forks off.

I'm going to look into the traxion springs but assuming they are the same length as stock and assuming I was happy with current sag then I should be able to get away with simply cutting the spacer to subtract the height of the intiminator's correct? Also should I plan to replace the o-rings under the caps?
Yea I wasn't saying to remove the tubes from the trees, just saying it is probably easier to remove the wheel and fender to pump the sliders. You might be able to pump them both at the same time with the wheel on but you may end up knocking the bike off the jack in the process. It's going to take a lot more effort to try and pick up the wheel and collapse both tubes... The orings are probably fine to reuse just inspect them. Also remember to loosen the top pinch bolt before trying to remove that top cap. If your going to measure your fluid from the top of the tube it needs to be taken with the ricors in, springs out and the sliders collapsed

Old 12-18-2014, 05:37 PM
tonebone_79
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm really excited to do this mod this winter. I feel even if it rides just a little bit better than stock it's worth the effort to do this. I already ordered/received my Intiminators and Traxxion springs just waiting til after the holidays to order some Speed Merchant adjusters and a fxdl right fork slider then i'm Going In!

Last edited by tonebone_79; 12-18-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tonebone_79
I'm really excited to do this mod this winter. I feel even if it rides just a little bit better than stock it's worth the effort to do this. I already ordered/received my Intiminators and Traxxion springs just waiting til after the holidays to order some Speed Merchant adjusters and a fxdl right fork slider then i'm Going In!
I'm with you, originally I said I would only be making mods for comfort but then got sucked into cams (ok I did it to myself), this gives me another winter project that I'm looking forward to. How long did it take to get your intiminator's?

Thanks Monster, rooti, and everyone for the most excellent feedback. I intend to document as best as possible from the viewpoint of someone who has never done this type of work before (other than bicycles)

Old 12-18-2014, 11:11 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Call me crazy but I have zero regrets about taking my fork tubes out. The only thing I found a little tricky was coming up with a safe way to hold the fork tube steady while servicing.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Call me crazy but I have zero regrets about taking my fork tubes out. The only thing I found a little tricky was coming up with a safe way to hold the fork tube steady while servicing.
Vice with wood to protect the fork?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:33 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

A vice with wood is scary to me, you need something that holds the tubes all the way around the perimeter. The tubes can be damaged by vices easily because the force being applied is only at 2 points. Here is my set up:

Old 12-19-2014, 04:31 AM
tonebone_79
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
How long did it take to get your intiminators?
I bought them off ebay from the seller bakeandbike for $177.77 shipped and got them in about a week.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:44 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Very stoked,

Today got my tool set along with the final parts needed to do my cam swap. Also just ordered the Intiminators and oil along with Traxion springs as recommended.

Now just need to get the oil measuring tool. For the pump, think I could use a small aquarium pump of some sort?

Old 12-20-2014, 05:02 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by monster715
Yea I wasn't saying to remove the tubes from the trees, just saying it is probably easier to remove the wheel and fender to pump the sliders. You might be able to pump them both at the same time with the wheel on but you may end up knocking the bike off the jack in the process. It's going to take a lot more effort to try and pick up the wheel and collapse both tubes... The orings are probably fine to reuse just inspect them. Also remember to loosen the top pinch bolt before trying to remove that top cap. If your going to measure your fluid from the top of the tube it needs to be taken with the ricors in, springs out and the sliders collapsed
Think any of the car parts places would sell the motion pro? Forgot to order one with the other stuff and shipping is half the cost of the item!

Quick Reply: Installing Intiminators