Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth getting a fork preload adjuster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Is it worth getting a fork preload adjuster?

Like the RSD adjuster. $150 for the ability to adjust without removing the cap and cutting a spacer. How often would one really need to adjust it once you set it for your weight and ride stiffness?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:18 PM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

That's just it, once you get it set to your liking your pretty much done. I played around with adding washers to do some tuning. Not a big deal, takes a little time. Big cost difference though.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Like the RSD adjuster. $150 for the ability to adjust without removing the cap and cutting a spacer. How often would one really need to adjust it once you set it for your weight and ride stiffness?
IMO they are worth it. 2 reasons.. #1ialing in the sag is much easier with the adjusters. If you aim for 33% and then find you want it stiffer you don't have to pull it back apart. If you decide you want it softer you don't have to pull it back apart. #2: if your commuting on the bike you may want it a little softer then when your out tearing up the twisties. Honestly I leave mine firm and I don't really adjust them anymore but it's a bonus if you want to. Pulling those spacers can be a messy pain in the *** so to me it was worth only having to do that once. Are they necessary? Probably not

Old 12-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by monster715
IMO they are worth it. 2 reasons.. #1ialing in the sag is much easier with the adjusters. If you aim for 33% and then find you want it stiffer you don't have to pull it back apart. If you decide you want it softer you don't have to pull it back apart. #2: if your commuting on the bike you may want it a little softer then when your out tearing up the twisties. Honestly I leave mine firm and I don't really adjust them anymore but it's a bonus if you want to. Pulling those spacers can be a messy pain in the *** so to me it was worth only having to do that once. Are they necessary? Probably not
Valid points. I think it might be worth the money just in the initial setting phase after doing fork upgrades. If you don't have adjusters, is the spacer that you have to modify on the top or the bottom of the spring? If you have to pull everything out and get fluid everywhere, I can definitely see the virtues of $150 adjusters.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:29 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Valid points. I think it might be worth the money just in the initial setting phase after doing fork upgrades. If you don't have adjusters, is the spacer that you have to modify on the top or the bottom of the spring? If you have to pull everything out and get fluid everywhere, I can definitely see the virtues of $150 adjusters.
The spacer is on top of the spring but it's still going to be wet. If you have the funds available I say go for it. If there's something better to spend it on then it's not a huge ordeal to trim the spacer a few times, just don't trim too much haha. If I could do it all over, I'd buy them again. Are the speedmerchants cheaper? Those are nice lookin too, and easier to measure. (Although I still went for the rsd adjusters)

Old 12-19-2014, 01:27 AM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the looks of the RSD adjusters better. Not to fond the of the Speed Merchant ones sticking up the way they do.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:13 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I installed the Speed Merchant preload adjusters on my Dyna when I installed Race tech springs and Intiminators. I did it so I could use less spacer at the time of install (making it easy to re-assemble) and fine tune sag without dis-assembly. That made it worth it to me.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 AM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

When I did my spacers I started off with 2 fender washers and I think it was 1" pvc. Total thickness was 1". That was super hard and I had no sag at all...lol. ended up just using the 2 washers on each side. Probably added 1/4" to the preload and it firmed things up nice.
The washers go below the stock spacer and on top of the spring. If you take the weight off the front and let the bike sit for 20min or so nothing comes out wet or messy.
However, I've since gone with progressive springs and the difference is night and day. Worth every bit of the $100 for the springs.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:20 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyna_Bagger85
I like the looks of the RSD adjusters better. Not to fond the of the Speed Merchant ones sticking up the way they do.

Man, I'm glad you posted this, thanks. I wasn't aware of the RSD's. I've been looking at the Speedmerchant's as well. But I too was thinking the value really wasn't there. But with the RSD adjusters that can be adjusted "on-the-fly", now that would have the value to me. And they're just a little higher in price than the SM. Very cool!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:18 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

So if you get the burly or RSD adjusters how much would you cut the PVC to when installing their stock height spring kit?

I believe the RSD have 1.15" of travel and the Burly has .8".

My buddy has a 2012 wide Glide that he's doing suspension on.

Quick Reply: Is it worth getting a fork preload adjuster?