Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carlini Bars and no knurling

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Daisychain11B
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carlini Bars and no knurling

Hey guys I'm pretty new and I did as much searching as possible before I decided to post so if this has been covered--my bad. Anyways, I picked up a set of Carlini 13" x 1.5" apes this weekend at my local HD shop for $225 still wrapped in foam. Seemed like a good deal so I scooped them up in hopes of putting them on my FLD. It wasn't until I got home and got to thinking about it that I realized they aren't knurled where they mate up with the risers. Is there any chance these are going to move around on me? Second question is did I get a decent deal? The other thing I overlooked was my boom speakers mounted to my bars and that the bracket won't fit anything bigger than a 1.25" any thoughts? Maybe mount them to my crash bars?

Old 12-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Clifford05
Cruiser

Carlini sells risers with set screws for the non knurled bars. Actually seem to work very well for me so far.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Derik
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm surprised it doesn't taper down to 1" where your risers connect, my wild1's do. That way you could use your stock risers if you wanted to go that route. Looks like your stuck having to get Carlini risers.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Get Carlini risers that come with set screws. They will be nice and solid.
http://www.carlinidesign.com/Risers/

Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Daisychain11B
6th Gear

Well after emailing Carlini's customer service I've found that all of their 1.5" risers have set screws. I also stumbled upon drag specialties big buffalo risers that also accommodate 1.5" bars. They're a little less expensive and come in different heights. From what I've found I don't see the saying anything about a set screw though... Does anyone have any experience with these? Kind of mocking up my scooter having my wife hold the bars I would be happy with my risers staying right where they are. After checking my book it looks like my stock risers have a 3" rise and 1" pullback.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Derik
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Daisychain11B
Well after emailing Carlini's customer service I've found that all of their 1.5" risers have set screws. I also stumbled upon drag specialties big buffalo risers that also accommodate 1.5" bars. They're a little less expensive and come in different heights. From what I've found I don't see the saying anything about a set screw though... Does anyone have any experience with these? Kind of mocking up my scooter having my wife hold the bars I would be happy with my risers staying right where they are. After checking my book it looks like my stock risers have a 3" rise and 1" pullback.

Yeah the stock ones are great. Honestly, I would return those bars and get a set that taper down to 1" so you can use the stock riser, if you still want the chubby look of the 1.5". It will save you money in the long run. http://wild1inc.com/APES.html

Old 12-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The Carlini risers with the set screws will hold apes far better than a traditional knurled bar that is stepped won to 1". I have run both and the Carlini was far more stable and you could yank on it as hard as you want and it would not move.

Never used Drag risers but I would think if they came with a set screw it would say in the description. A smooth bar in a riser without a set screw is asking for slippage.