Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakota digital gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:59 AM
ottawaair
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this turned into a good topic.
I'll be ordering one, but like I said, its more to get rid of the "bug eye" double gauge setup.
Gear indicator and such isn't really a big deal to me. Although I might come to like having it.

Speedo and tach are what I'm after. In one unit.

Thanks for all the input.

With all the guys running them, I'm surprised it isn't talked about more often.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:23 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
How hard was it to get set up for oil temp? Easy sending unit install?
Super easy - just buy the sending unit that DD sells, I installed it in the oil pan where the drain plug was - run a wire to the console and then it plugs right into the speedo/tach......10/15 minute job.....

Old 02-25-2015, 12:52 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Super easy - just buy the sending unit that DD sells, I installed it in the oil pan where the drain plug was - run a wire to the console and then it plugs right into the speedo/tach......10/15 minute job.....

Yep...that would be easy! Just unplug and pull to drain oil?

Old 02-25-2015, 06:10 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Yep...that would be easy! Just unplug and pull to drain oil?
Yep - I used a female spade connector and just slit the top so it slides on and off

Old 02-25-2015, 06:18 PM
mike13
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

JMC22, do you have a part number for what you used and does it come with a wiring schematic and the wiring to just plug in? I imagine the leads would go into empty spots in the connector that plug into the guage correct?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:28 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mike13
JMC22, do you have a part number for what you used and does it come with a wiring schematic and the wiring to just plug in? I imagine the leads would go into empty spots in the connector that plug into the guage correct?
I have the MCL-2004 Speedo/Tach - this unit came with the plug in unit (to the speedo/tach) for the oil temp sensor
I used the SEN-1043 - oil temp sensor and just screwed it in place of the oil drain plug -http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=329/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd329.htm
Than as I said before, I just plugged the wire into the speedo/tach, spliced and ran it down the bike to the drain pan, crimped on a female spade connector and attached to the sending unit...
No wire diagram needed - plug & play - easy peasy - but here is the tech sheet from DD- http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/mcl-2004.pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions

Old 02-25-2015, 09:45 PM
mike13
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, I see. I have a different model that does not come with the temp sensor. Mine is the mcl-3204 and will give me cylinder head temp if my bike has the sensor. Thanks anyway!

Old 03-27-2015, 07:03 AM
itiosso
Stage IV
Question The real model and size?

Hey guys, spent all night looking for a new gauge and this thread has been the most helpful.

Now every website has conflicting model number with the fatbobs. Mine is a 2009 FXDF model and it will come up as the MCL 3204 model being the right one, even on Dakota Digital website. However they list it as being 3 3/8" in diameter. This is confusing since the fat bob gauge diameter is 5", therefore the model MCL 2004 would be the correct one.

JCM has the MCL2004 and the dude that posted before me has the 3204.

Which one is the right one?

All of those with the "newer" 3204 model could post a pic to show how they look like?

And why the heck Dakota Digital doesn't seem to have it right on their website??

Looking forward for a reply so I can purchase this.

ATT.: not sure what model the guy from this pic bought, but sure as hell it looks dumber than a football bat.

Attached Thumbnails Dakota digital gauge-compteur1.jpg  

Last edited by itiosso; 03-27-2015 at 07:22 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 03-27-2015, 07:36 AM
ottawaair
Cruiser

Why do you say it doesn't look good ???
Looks to me like its meant to be there.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:04 AM
itiosso
Stage IV

the pic I attached is from a model that was smaller, prob a 3 3/8in, therefore the shop had to fit the smaller gauge into a larger bezel and fit into the fatbob. Notice how much smaller the gauge look compared to JCM's.

The gauge looks good to me, I just want to make sure I am getting the right size and not have to fix anything or figure out how to fit it if its not the correct one.

Quick Reply: Dakota digital gauge