Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What To Do To My Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:26 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmskinny

Here is my Wide Glide. I love this thing, but I am looking for some suggestions as to how I can customize it since I am new to this addiction. Seems that there are thousands of different options out there, but I am looking for some suggestions from some of you seasoned vets out there that would make my experience a heck of a lot better.

You will enjoy RIDING it much more and it will be safer if you get the suspension right. I suggest the RaceTech emulator/spring kit for the forks (the emulator adds fluid damping control absent from the stock forks and results in better control (handling) and less nose dive (safety). Lots of threads here about rear shocks - the only limit is your wallet there.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:00 AM
cpmskinny
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Mini apes, change out the A/C, and lower the back end.
Maybe you should tell us what direction you would like to go...what kind of riding you want to do, etc.?

I am not looking to set the world on fire, but I would like a nice comfortable bike that feels good cruising at 80 down the interstate with my wife on the back, or one I can take through the mountains with ease. I wouldn't consider myself to be one that is going to push it to it's limits this early on, but as I get more comfortable on it, that may drastically change.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:06 AM
cpmskinny
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rsking45
Andrews 48 cams Will really wake that motor up along with stage one A/C . Maybe some powder coating

I don't want to chase power too much on a Harley as I have heard from a few Engineers that used to work there that it is a continuous uphill battle, the air cleaner though, makes perfect sense since I swapped out the exhaust. Have to make the air pump more efficient. Any suggestions on which one, I see they are anywhere from $120-$500 or somewhere in that range. At the end of the day, if you are providing more air does it really matter what you pay for it? I would think the only reason one costs more is for the aesthetics than anything else. I don't care how pretty it is, just that it is black and functional.

But...do those cams have a longer duration? I would like more lope at idle. That would be worth chasing. These FI motors don't lope like those carbureted ones.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:11 AM
cpmskinny
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Azgunner
Stage 1 upgrade & then a set of 16" apes. I'm way beyond the stage 1 upgrade fo performance, but the other single best rideability improvement was putting on a set of 16" apes. They are far more comfortable for your neck, shoulders, & upper back than t-bars or lower styled h-bars.

I think the stage one is in my near future due to all the suggestions so far. I have also heard similar things about Apes. I think once I get used to the controls I will move up to those. It does feel like I am leaning forward a little too much now.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:24 AM
cpmskinny
Intermediate

I ma getting eat up with all these accessories. The possibilities are truly endless. Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I am going to have to replace the seat first to keep momma happy and then I will get a stage 1 A/C element, and move from there.

If I install a stage one, will this require me to have my engine re-mapped?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmskinny
I think the stage one is in my near future due to all the suggestions so far. I have also heard similar things about Apes. I think once I get used to the controls I will move up to those. It does feel like I am leaning forward a little too much now.
One option you can consider if you feel you're leaning too far forward and don't want to replace bars at this time is to add a handlebar riser extension, adding length to the risers will raise the bars and also move them rearward reducing stress on your shoulders and back.

In the images I posted earlier in this thread you can see my bars are higher, I used the DK Customs 2" fat riser extensions, it's a simple mod and you won't have any issues with the clutch cable, brake line or wiring beyond having to slide the brake line into a new position in the brake line clamps.

It's a $35 mod and really made a difference on my arm and shoulder position: http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/2-In...2-SFT-RSRS.htm

One note, with more leverage on the bars you may notice a bit more movement due to the stock rubber bushings, I personally hate those things and always remove them and use solid mount chrome bushings, if you'd like some pictures of my bars and risers let me know, I'll post some up for you...

Edited to add: These are the solid bushings I use if you want to go that route, there is zero vibration change in the bars with solid bushings, I have no idea why HD feels the need to use those rubber bushings, I'd much rather have my bars feel like they're actually mounted on the triple tree, but I am a bit old school... http://www.demonscycle.com/chrome-ha...dson-4120.html

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 03-05-2015 at 06:56 AM. Reason: More Info...
Old 03-05-2015, 07:32 AM
scott504
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
One option you can consider if you feel you're leaning too far forward and don't want to replace bars at this time is to add a handlebar riser extension, adding length to the risers will raise the bars and also move them rearward reducing stress on your shoulders and back.

In the images I posted earlier in this thread you can see my bars are higher, I used the DK Customs 2" fat riser extensions, it's a simple mod and you won't have any issues with the clutch cable, brake line or wiring beyond having to slide the brake line into a new position in the brake line clamps.

It's a $35 mod and really made a difference on my arm and shoulder position: http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/2-Inch-Fat-Handlebar-Riser-Extensions-DK-2-SFT-RSRS.ht

One note, with more leverage on the bars you may notice a bit more movement due to the stock rubber bushings, I personally hate those things and always remove them and use solid mount chrome bushings, if you'd like some pictures of my bars and risers let me know, I'll post some up for you...

Edited to add: These are the solid bushings I use if you want to go that route, there is zero vibration change in the bars with solid bushings, I have no idea why HD feels the need to use those rubber bushings, I'd much rather have my bars feel like they're actually mounted on the triple tree, but I am a bit old school... http://www.demonscycle.com/chrome-ha...dson-4120.html
Could you post up a couple more pics of your riser extensions, from the front and back?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:34 AM
cpmskinny
Intermediate

I'd like to see those extensions closer too. That is a cheap way to gain a little height.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Got a couple of shots, not easy to do this time of year in a garage, my photography skills are rather nonexistent The riser extensions are black and match the stock risers perfectly, the flash is showing them as having a silvered color but they are indeed black! The bars will look even nicer with the new grips, I finally picked them out but they're still in the box waiting to be installed

The riser extensions are 2" and you can also see the 2" DK Customs tank lift, coupled with a BareBones seat which moved me back and down my arms are near shoulder height and more fully extended. You can see the solid bushings in the 3rd shot, the last shot was taken last summer and gives you a better perspective on the bar/riser height compared to the seat... I wish summer would get here!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 AM
cpmskinny
Intermediate

Thank you for that info! I am going to order those shortly. That's a good looking bike you have there!

Quick Reply: What To Do To My Wide Glide?