Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Customs Bobber style cover touches tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:38 AM
Petro
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DK Customs Bobber style cover touches tank

Hey all,

Part of the Winter mods for me included a DK Customs Outlaw 587 Air Cleaner system. The company has been great to work with. I finally got around to getting it all together and noticed that the Bobber style cover makes contact with the tank before it cranks down on the top to the filter.

I shot the company a message a little bit ago but was wondering your thoughts or if any of you had run into this with this kit. I was also considering the Smooth Bobber cover since it is roughly and inch shorter in diameter and an 1/8 inch less deep. Constructive thoughts appreciated.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

You can try a few 1/4" washers as spacers behind the cover to see if you can get the clearance you need. I'm running the DK 587 with the smooth chrome bobber cover and added spacers, not for clearance issues since I'm also running a 2" tank lift but to prevent the face of the smooth cover from distorting when I snug it down, I've got it so the face of the cover looks smooth as a mirror but still makes full contact with the filter.

Add perhaps 2 washers to the threaded rod and see if you can get the cover to clear the tank and still make a good contact seal with the filter element...

Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing to add other than I hope they can help fix it. That is a great looking cover.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Petro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
You can try a few 1/4" washers as spacers behind the cover to see if you can get the clearance you need. I'm running the DK 587 with the smooth chrome bobber cover and added spacers, not for clearance issues since I'm also running a 2" tank lift but to prevent the face of the smooth cover from distorting when I snug it down, I've got it so the face of the cover looks smooth as a mirror but still makes full contact with the filter.

Add perhaps 2 washers to the threaded rod and see if you can get the cover to clear the tank and still make a good contact seal with the filter element...
Awesome. I will look into it. Thanks for the words.

Also, Update from DK:
"Rotate the cover so that the "cut-out" in the cover is where the tank is. Some bikes have this clearance issue, that is what the cut-out is there for.

If perchance yours does not have a cut-out, please let us know. We do have some that don't have cut-outs because most bikes don't have this issue."

Unfortunately, mine doesn't have the notch, so we'll see.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I hope some washer spacers work out for you. Put the filter into position then gently slide on the cover until it touches the filter and see how much space you've got until the cover contacts the tank, I know the rubber on the filter does compress down slightly so hopefully you can get a good seal to keep the filter in position before you hit the tank.

Since I was using spacers and I always figure if it can go wrong it will I ended up determining how much of the threaded rod I needed to stick out for the knurled **** I'm using to fully tighten down then double nutted the threaded rod on the back side of the threaded hole the threaded rod runs through using blue locktite, this way when I remove the cover the 1/4" threaded rod and spacers stay in place, I remove the **** and slide the cover off, no chance of a spacer falling into a 'bad' place <hopefully!>

I hope you can get it sorted out, if the cover is hitting the tank well before you've got good contact on the filter you may have to consider a different cover or a tank lift to clear the cover... let us know how it works out!

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 03-28-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Always one typo... sheesh
Old 03-28-2015, 01:17 PM
bullast
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Only input I have to add is I advise you to put some masking tape on the areas contacting and being contacted... if that makes sense.

This will prevent that "DAMNIT!!!" moment as you run your trial and errors.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Simply exchange it for one with the cut out.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Petro
Cruiser
Default Got the new one

So, in true post-Easter Fashion, I ended up picking up 5 Packages yesterday from the post office. One of them was the replacement cover with the notch. When I opened the box, I will admit I was a little dumbfounded to see the new air cleaner cover come in a Harley box. No qualms with it, was just surprised. I got it mounted and actually think it looks pretty good.

I was a little surprised by the color, but I think It actually looks pretty good.

I know, she still needs a bath. Friday hopefully. I was surprised to find that the replacement was black, but it is actually growing on me. I think it will make a nice canvas for some airbrush lettering or pin-striping. I still haven't fired it up yet. Worst case, Saturday is our club's Season Opening Ride. So plenty of time to try her out then.

Bottom Line: DK Customs has been great to work with and I am happy with the way things turned out.

Side question: What do you folks with the DK Outlaw AC do with the connector that attached to the back of the stock Air cleaner?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:36 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks good! I think some pin striping or lettering is a good idea. Make yours a bit different! You are right about DK...top notch people! Maybe you should get a tank lift from them......

Old 04-08-2015, 01:06 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Glad we could help out, looks great

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Quick Reply: DK Customs Bobber style cover touches tank