Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a street bob too much bike for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 AM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

ditto.....and remember most sportsters ride different than any other bike

QUOTE=Deadhead77;13863657]Another thing to consider is...is spending $10-15K on a first bike having never ridden before a good idea? Some first timers spend a ton of money on a first bike only to discover riding isn't for them. Or have a close encounter of the cage kind and simply get spooked out of riding. Then you end up paying big $ for something you don't use or want.
IMHO I would buy something cheap that I could learn to ride on and learn to work on. Once you get accustomed to riding and performing basic maintnance and become fully aware of just how little attention people in cars are paying to their surrondings, and you are still "in" to riding then sell the cheap bike and go get what you really want.
Either way I wish you luck and please be safe.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-30-2015, 10:58 AM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I rode a bit in my late teens & early 20's until life stepped in and I took too long of a break and got back into riding a few years ago. I was rusty and even though I knew the riding basics from my younger years, I still took the basic riders course here at the local college.
And I'm glad that I did, because the first day on the course, I was definitely not in sync with the little 225 that I was riding, and I dropped it while in 2nd gear.

Yep, I was embarrassed, when the instructor made everyone turn their bikes off and look at what I had done, lol. But he did it for a reason. We had guys and gals alike in that class that had NEVER ridden before and I think it was beneficial to them to see, that a guy that has some previous experience can still have incidences occur.

The instructor then came over and picked up the bike and said, "It's ok, I'd rather you drop one of these than one of yours." I always think about that experience.

Sorry to ramble on, but since your still taking that course, I just wanted to make the point that the instructors can seem harsh sometimes, but they want you to be prepared for everything and anything and most of all, want you to be safe. Listen to them, it's worth it.

I picked up a 750 Honda Shadow after that and rode that for a couple of years, until I got my Street Bob. I think the Shadows are a similar ride to a lot of the Harley's out there. Granted, it was about 100 lb's lighter, liquid cooled and had elk horns on it, compared to the mini apes on the SB, it was a great bike to get acquainted with riding again.

You may want to look at one of those as well. They are usually all over Craigslist.

Also, for me, the biggest issue for me was the whole "balance" issue when on the bike. Slow maneuvering, backing up the bike, etc.

Whatever you choose, please be safe and enjoy the rides. Knee's in the breeze.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 AM
GoneN6T
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puckhead313
I've never ridden before. I'm average size (5'10'', 175#) I'm taking the Harley Learn to Ride course next week and looking to buy my first bike. I love the look of the street bob and it feels comfortable when I sit on it the showroom. The salesman said once I complete the course he'd grab 2 bikes and we'd go for a ride in the parking lot and then down the side street behind the dealership. I know I have to pick a bike based on what feels comfortable when I ride it. If the bike feels good in these controlled situations, is it reasonable to conclude it will feel as good on real roads with real traffic? I was initially considering a sportster and just want to make sure I don't start with too much bike.

when you say never ridden before, do you mean have never rode a motorcycle at all? mini bike, dirt bike, small street bike?...if the answer is yes, I would start with something light and agile, not any HD...One of the main things to learn is how all the other drivers react differently around someone on a motorcycle. It can literally be a war zone...people on cell phones, talking, texting, eating etc....Its dangerous enough when you get behind the wheel of a car, getting on two wheels is sometimes, if not always bordering on insanity...but once you are hooked, the addiction is strong. Start small, start light...start slow.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:02 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I'm only 5'6 with my shoes on and I just got a SB. I bought a 2014 XL883 last July and figured I'd ride it for 3 or 4 years. Despite me thinking I'd be an exception, I got the bug and traded it.
I was really worried because the SB is 100 pounds heavier than the Sportster. I haven't had the chance to get it out yet, it's been snowing but I can say, it doesn't really feel 100 pounds heavier when I'm on it and lean it left and right. I also noticed I can balance longer with no feet on the ground at a standstill. I don't feel as small on it. The bike is just a lot beefier than the Sportster.
One thing to keep in mind is the insurance doubled. Sportster was $200 per year, the SB is 400.

I would agree with others that if you don't have riding experience, it may be best to buy a cheap smaller metric and learn on for a year or two then move to the SB.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 PM
NativeSOB
6th Gear

I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I'm 5'10 and 150 pounds. I've ridden dirtbikes and Sportsters although that was abut five years ago. I finally had the chance to buy my first bike this year and did back in February. I ended up with a '15 Street Bob. I know that the ~150 pound gain sounds like a lot but the bike is definitely manageable. I went with the Dyna because I have a bad back and everyone I talked to and everything I read on here told me that the Dyna would ride much better. I've only got about 70 miles on it so far but I couldn't be happier with it. As far as power, it has a LOT of torque but as long as you're aware of it you can stay out of trouble. It isn't overwhelming. Taking off into a turn, like pulling out of the driveway, takes some getting used to but the bike does handle pretty well. Not as nimble as a Sportster but I think it makes an OK first bike. I did add forward controls which make it a little different than the stock mids but it still isn't bad. If you have back problems at all, I'd definitely go with the Street Bob. You can get the hang of it over time, just pick your route carefully at first. Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 AM
Rowdy Fetus
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I had this exact same debate in my head a little bit ago.

I had never been on a bike before...not even a scooter. I was debating between a Sportster (Forty Eight) and waiting for those little Street 500 / 750s. I went with the Forty Eight because of my size. I rode it for a year and then upgraded to a Street Bob. I wish I had gone with the Bob from the start because I lost a fair amount of coin doing what I did but I feel much better on the dyna. It feels sturdier for me. I feel safer, more confident and its a lot of fun! Now that might not be how everyone feels but it's just my opinion...for whatever it's worth.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

I was half done with the MSF class when I bought my Low Rider, not much different from a Street bob. Zero MC experience before signing up for the class. If I can do it I'm sure you can too.

Take some time around less busy roads while gaining confidence, practice low speed in an empty parking lot.

Also consider buying Ride like a pro DVD, good tips in there.

Last edited by 02fx4dude; 03-31-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm 5'10, 155lbs. and nearly 60 with 35 years since I owned my only other HD until recently. Bought a Nightster last December. Rode it a couple months around inclement weather, made a couple thou in upgrades and I liked it but it just wasn't a big bike. Traded it in the first of Feb of this year for the Street Boband I am please as $hit. This past weekend, took the HD Advanced Skills course. It's amazing what you can do with such a big bike knowing how to. No drops. I'd recommend, see how you feel about your experience in the Learn to Ride course. If you drop the class bike, either you'll learn from it or perhaps make an alternate plan.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 PM
2johnsonj
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first bike

I think you could start smaller and get most of your money back. Nothing wrong with taking it slow for awhile.

After that I think you should test ride as many different bikes as the dealer will let you take. You may really like something you were not expecting. I thought I wanted a fat bob last time around but a short ride before test riding a street bob made the decision easy. The street bob just felt so natural to me.

A street bob has a lot of vibes going on. It's a lot of fun but make sure this is what you want. It's certainly one of the best looking bikes Harley makes and is a fair price.

I'd at least ride an iron 883, street bob, fat bob, and softail slim if a raw looking bike is what you got to have. Buy the one the gives you the most confidence and feels right.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:43 PM
H3llbilly
Advanced

Depends on how you feel about a ding or 2 more than the random rocks etc that the road throws at ya. I learned on a Honda Shadow 600 as a teenager. Dropped it sitting still getting ready to turn AND in a front yard. Luckily it was a family member's and he didn't mind lol. If you've got the patience it never hurts to start smaller (and cheaper). I don't think the SB is too much motor for a beginner but its certainly heavier than a Honda Shadow or something similar. Be safe whatever you choose.