Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a street bob too much bike for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:07 AM
Puckhead313
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a street bob too much bike for a newbie?

I've never ridden before. I'm average size (5'10'', 175#) I'm taking the Harley Learn to Ride course next week and looking to buy my first bike. I love the look of the street bob and it feels comfortable when I sit on it the showroom. The salesman said once I complete the course he'd grab 2 bikes and we'd go for a ride in the parking lot and then down the side street behind the dealership. I know I have to pick a bike based on what feels comfortable when I ride it. If the bike feels good in these controlled situations, is it reasonable to conclude it will feel as good on real roads with real traffic? I was initially considering a sportster and just want to make sure I don't start with too much bike.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:02 AM
Silvio
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a bit bigger than you at 6' and 230lb, but I went with a Street Bob for my first bike about a year and a half ago. I tried out a Fat Bob, but felt it was just a little too much for me. Just didn't feel right. The SB I tried felt very natural.

You hit the nail on the head, though, it has to feel comfortable to you. If the SB doesn't, keep test riding until you find one that does.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

No matter what you pick you'll still need a few weeks to get used to it on the road with traffic. Take it slow and get your road legs. The class will give you a better sense of what you're comfortable with. The Street Bob might be just fine...or a Sporty...or something else. (Ha, just realized I answered your thread about new/used Sportsters a minute ago). You will figure out what feel right for you at the time. Most riders drop their first bike a few time. It happens standing still and usually causes minimal damage, but it always stings a bit to ding a new ride. It will only mean you're in the club. I was lucky enough to do it to old used bikes I had when I was younger, but my wife just did it to her Ducati Diavel...it all gets sorted out...Welcome in advance and enjoy.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:32 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Experienced or not at your size the Dyna's extra 150lbs over the Sportster is gonna show. It will show in backing it up and low speed, tight quarters situations. The results is usually a drop.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:03 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might also want to consider factoring value as well. You could buy a sportster, but it won't hold its value as well should you decide to get rid of it.

I personally feel the dyna is a perfect starter harley. Very confident riding, and forgiving bike. A bit heavy...... But before long you'll go through every model and be an old pro!

Good luck, and be careful

Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 AM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superglide was my first bike. I am 5-11, 240lbs .
I agree that the dynas are the perfect starter. My cousin started with a sportster a wanted bigger really quick, same with a buddy. His wife started with a sportster and within a year went to a soft tail.

I never rode before, only thing i new i was how to drive stick. Bought the bike by dads so i parked it there and just went for a few rides around his neighborhood takin it nice and easy, it was all 25mph.

After a couple days i took it home. Just remember to take it easy at first and dont do stupid crap and you'll be fine.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:59 AM
JJP9398
Intermediate
Default Learn to ride first.

The way I taught my son to ride was getting him a disposable bike. Found an older Yamaha on Craigslist for 1000 bucks. I checked it out and made sure it was safe we had to do a little work to it like brakes and a back tire but it was road worthy.

Let him ride around the neighborhood for a while, when he said he felt comfortable we took it out on the road. Needless to say he turned a corner and fell off of it. Picked it back up and dusted himself off and it never happened again. He rode that bike for a year.

After he was done with it he sold it for what he paid for it. Went down a bought a 2014 Street Bob and loves that bike more than life itself.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you can wait, learn to ride first before you get a bike you love. I just hate reading the threads "dropped the bike today, Got is a wreck today etc etc.."

Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a street bob a my first harley. My riding experience before that was crotch rockets as a teenager. I didn't ride for almost 15-20 years before buying my harley. I'm 5'8" and 150lbs. Looking back, I'd be pissed if I bought a sportster. I don't foresee ever getting rid of my street bob. I've never dumped the bike either, and I ride a lot.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:36 AM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

This is a tough one. While I agree you need to be comfortable on what you ride these guys have a point about "getting" you road legs.

When I got my first bike it was a sporty and I out grew it in a couple months (not a joke). I'm a bigger guy.. 6 ft 250 lbs so that was part of the problem but after riding my fat Bob it was like night and day difference in terms of comfort.

Put aside the power aspect of the 1690cc vs the 883 or 1200 in a sportster because I was riding an 883 and it still moved my fat *** pretty good. But it was not comfy at all and after 30 min I was dying to get off.

You have to take a lot into account here... Honestly if I were in your shoes, get the SB if that's what your comfy on. Buying a sportster and then worrying about selling or trading it in when you outgrow it is going to suck. First hand experience here... But I did learn a lot riding the sporty. Maybe consider renting a couple times before buying. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Deadhead77
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to consider is...is spending $10-15K on a first bike having never ridden before a good idea? Some first timers spend a ton of money on a first bike only to discover riding isn't for them. Or have a close encounter of the cage kind and simply get spooked out of riding. Then you end up paying big $ for something you don't use or want.
IMHO I would buy something cheap that I could learn to ride on and learn to work on. Once you get accustomed to riding and performing basic maintnance and become fully aware of just how little attention people in cars are paying to their surrondings, and you are still "in" to riding then sell the cheap bike and go get what you really want.
Either way I wish you luck and please be safe.

Quick Reply: Is a street bob too much bike for a newbie?