Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BORN TOO LATE! new FXDWG, trying for 1960s-70s easy rider style... ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:42 PM
writer1973
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BORN TOO LATE! new FXDWG, trying for 1960s-70s easy rider style... ideas?

i was born too damn late... i always dream about being at woodstock, watching jimi hendrix live, and cruising around america's backroads on a chopper in the 1960s... picking up a hippie chick & heading into the night.

i've had a few harleys (heritage and a sportster) but deep down i've always wanted a chopper style like capt america & billy in easy rider... i'd about worn out my '06 FLST, so i sold it & thought i'd try to re-create the feeling of the panheads & shovels of that era.

i looked at a few models that i figured would be a good base model... street bob, wideglide & the breakout... went with the 2015 FXDWG w/ oldschool graphic. i got some 16" apes & vance & hines turndown radius, plus the dyna jet & SE stage 1... progress below.

now i'm looking for other tweaks that will add more 1960s-70s vibes to it... like a real high sissy bar w/ the twisted metal? i could slip my tent & backpack over it on camping trips... you guys got any ideas?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:03 PM
GoneN6T
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by writer1973
i was born too damn late... i always dream about being at woodstock, watching jimi hendrix live, and cruising around america's backroads on a chopper in the 1960s... picking up a hippie chick & heading into the night.

i've had a few harleys (heritage and a sportster) but deep down i've always wanted a chopper style like capt america & billy in easy rider... i'd about worn out my '06 FLST, so i sold it & thought i'd try to re-create the feeling of the panheads & shovels of that era.

i looked at a few models that i figured would be a good base model... street bob, wideglide & the breakout... went with the 2015 FXDWG w/ oldschool graphic. i got some 16" apes & vance & hines turndown radius, plus the dyna jet & SE stage 1... progress below.

now i'm looking for other tweaks that will add more 1960s-70s vibes to it... like a real high sissy bar w/ the twisted metal? i could slip my tent & backpack over it on camping trips... you guys got any ideas?

Taller sissy bar, taller apes, lose the front fender, 2 over fork tubes, up turned exhaust with trumpet ends, one piece 2 up seat, strip blinkers, reflectors, belt guards

Old 03-30-2015, 03:08 PM
writer1973
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoneN6T
Taller sissy bar, taller apes, lose the front fender, 2 over fork tubes, up turned exhaust with trumpet ends, one piece 2 up seat, strip blinkers, reflectors, belt guards
killer idea w/ the one-piece seat & strip blinkers... how bad is the rain splash-up without the front fender?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM
GoneN6T
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

killer idea w/ the one-piece seat & strip blinkers... how bad is the rain splash-up without the front fender?

In heavy rain it sucks, but I cant stand the look of front fenders.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:02 PM
SCarty
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's a link for sissy bars

http://www.ginzchoppers.com/

Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like old school too. I went with a Le Pera Daytona 2 up seat in Regal style. It looks groovy man. I also got a matching sissy bar pad.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:10 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I too have an obsession with retro modding my bikes. I would have probably purchased an older bike so as not to feel too guilty about what I would do.
-paint motor an aluminum color with black jugs
-chrome wheels
-gloss paint with chrome front fender
-taller sissy bar
-chrome exhaust, either drag pipes or up-swept trumpets
-chrome apes, not black
-diamond pattern in the seat
-S&S teardrop air cleaner

and much more. Your bike is too nice to go overboard right immediately. Sissy bar and S&S air cleaner for now.

Last edited by AFMM3; 03-30-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: add S&S
Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Lift that tank. I had a 3" lift on my dyna. Lost about 1/2 gal capacity but still got 180 between tanks.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 PM
pavespawn
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tank lift for sure. I had the Le Pera Cherokee cause it looked old school. My back just insisted on a different seat!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:02 PM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mohawk of water to the face is pretty annoying.. got caught last yr a couple times in the rain and no front fender.. one of those things u have to decide for yourself...

do you like the no fender look enough to deal with the water to the face if caught in it...

Quick Reply: BORN TOO LATE! new FXDWG, trying for 1960s-70s easy rider style... ideas?