Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF in primary

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 PM
scglide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATF in primary

Anyone running ATF in their primary? if so what kind and how do you like it, any noticeable difference with clutch?
Thanks

Old 04-01-2015, 08:20 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I've never heard of anyone doing that. Don't know that it would be good. AT being high detergent and all.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:28 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

ATF is recommended by a lot of clutch makers, like my Alto +1 kit but is not good for most compensators. If you want to run it I would have the CompenSaver oiler from GMR installed or maybe the new Baker compensator.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:32 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Many run ATF on their beefed up clutch setups w/ hopped up motors. The $500 clutch setups love it and it's the best thing for them.

No need to run ATF with a stock harley clutch. Not to mention it will speed up the process of you compensator sprocket taking a ****. Stick with synthetic oils and it will be fine.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I tried it one time and I wasn't happy with the results. Some people report that ATF eliminates the clunk going from neutral into first and makes shifting smoother but I had the opposite results. I quickly drained that stuff out and went back to my normal routine.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 PM
scglide
Cruiser

HD Bobber,
I heard synthetic was bad for clutch plates, do you run synthetic and do you have any slipage in the clutch?
Thanks

Old 04-01-2015, 09:23 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

I have had synthetic in my bike for a bit over 12k miles on stock 96" and 2,500 miles on my 106" w/ stock clutch & SE spring. I ride my bike VERY hard at high RPM! Didn't slip, shifted perfect, and no uncommon noises. Synthetic is perfectly fine for the stock clutch.

This winter I installed the Barnett Scorpion cause it was only attest of time that my sticker was going to give up, so per Barnett recommendations I used Redline Synthtic Primary Fluid as a good medium for the compensator and clutch. Once the SE compensator is toast I'm getting the Baker comp and running ATF Type F.

Last season or so I ran Spector primary fluid, which is really good stuff. I would recommend that, but many 20/50 synthetics will be fine.

Believe me when I tell you my stock clutch still looked good when I took it out and compensator was in perfect condition and I do wide open throttle shifts w/ just blipping the clutch lever.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:29 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger
I tried it one time and I wasn't happy with the results. Some people report that ATF eliminates the clunk going from neutral into first and makes shifting smoother but I had the opposite results. I quickly drained that stuff out and went back to my normal routine.
Only benefit I have heard of from using ATF was flawless clutch operation. That's stuff is like water compared to other primary fluids, so I would think it be a bit noisier if anything.

If you switch your tans fluid to Spector or Redline (something better than the factory stuff) much of those noises/harshness will be eliminated. I noticed a bigger difference when I switch out my trans fluid than the primary.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 PM
stewbeezer
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running B&M Synthetic Trick Shift for three years with no problems (knock on wood). Clutch seems to work smoother and doesn't slip.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:33 PM
scglide
Cruiser

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: ATF in primary