Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 FXDC brake upgrade options? opinions/advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:58 AM
jsl6v8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 FXDC brake upgrade options? opinions/advice please

First, yes I read the sticky on doing the dual brake conversion and have also done a handful of searches here and on the all knowing google.

So I have a 2012 FXDC that I got back on new years, I've recently put on a bassani 2-1 Mega power exhaust and have an RSD Venturi Air cleaner I'm going to put on in the morning, along with a power vision for the tune. I used to ride sport bikes before getting the Harley, last bike was a Daytona 675R, and I find the brake on the FXDC to be more than merely disappointing. Now I don't expect that any of these options or really anything will get me the braking that I had on my Daytona but I'm looking for some serious improvement.

Option 1: upgrade from the stock single I have to a better caliper, from what I've read sounds like a favorite is the 6 piston PM, while this seems to be the simplest option and probably the cheapest it will provide the least amount of improvement, and I worry it won't be enough to make me happy. I figure the cost of this option is just the cost of the caliper so around $400-500. The issue being I have an 11.8" rotor stock, if I'm not mistaken, and all I'm finding for PM calipers are for 11.5" and 13", so I might have to swap to a smaller rotor

Option 2: much like option one except upgrade to 13" rotor, from there I believe I should be able to use either a 6 piston PM or a Brembo brake. Cost on this I'm not sure of, I'm really not finding much in the way of 13" rotors that I'm sure will fit, would need to do research but I'm expecting more on the level of 700-800 with the bracket for this option.

Option 3: convert to dual disc setup utilizing stock dyna calipers, now these will be more work intensive but I think have a much better shot of giving me results that I'd be satisfied with. I'd need a 11/16" master cylinder, brake lines, right caliper, 11.8" right rotor, and right fork slider, most of which I can find used pretty damn cheap, with the exception of the fork slider which I'm finding nothing for so far. With some luck I can probably get this all for around 500 maybe less if I can manage to find a fork slider. Only cons to this option is sourcing the parts, and as crappy as the stock caliper is I wonder if having another crappy caliper will make much difference, which leads to:

Option 4: Convert to dual disc setup using Brembos, much the same as option 3 except now instead of stock dyna calipers I get brembo ones from the touring models, price jumps up another 100-150ish from option 3, issue with this is I keep hearing talk about the sweep area or something on the rotor from the brembos not being right or not lining up right, but it also seems that everyone who does this has been at least initially happy with the choice to do so. I'd love to hear from anyone who did this a long time ago, from a mileage/use stand point have you had any issues, is this sweep area thing a big deal?

Now obviously option 1 and 2 could be a lot cheaper if I can find the parts used, I'm just really not seeing them out there, where as there is a plethora of used parts for option 3 and 4, with the exception of the right fork slider.

If I'm missing something, please let me know, I'd like to hear your advice and opinions, obviously or I wouldn't be posting, any sort of data or pictures or explanations as to why would be extremely welcome as well. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:18 AM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's lyndall rotors and pads you could throw in as an option - not cheap but apparently quite the upgrade, especially with an aftermarket calliper

the arlen ness big brake looks interesting and i'm considering it, possibly the best bang for your buck

if you're looking at aftermarket callipers check out Jaybrake, I have a 6-piston from them and it was a good improvement, probably even better with lyndall pads or the big brake...

Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 AM
TrevorD
6th Gear

You can also look into getting Tokico sport bike calipers. Speed Merchant sells adapters for 13" and 11.5" rotors for $150 for single disc

Old 04-28-2015, 02:06 AM
jsl6v8
Intermediate

That arlen ness big brake kit, if I can then put a brembo on it... that might be just the ticket. Looks like the Jaybrake I would run into the same issues as the PM 6 piston, would need to either switch to 11.5" rotors or 13". If I were to go to the arlen ness 15" rotor and a brembo from one of the touring bikes, would I be able to use my 9/16" master cylinder still or would I still need to move to the 11/16"

Old 04-28-2015, 03:21 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorD
You can also look into getting Tokico sport bike calipers. Speed Merchant sells adapters for 13" and 11.5" rotors for $150 for single disc
+1 on this option. thats the route im going

Old 04-28-2015, 03:29 AM
jsl6v8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gartec81
Why did you decide to go this route? I'm going to have to look them up, I've never heard of Tokico before.

edit: Ah, GSXR brakes.

Last edited by jsl6v8; 04-28-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:23 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If I were you I'd go with option #3 to double your stopping power. You could upgrade the front suspension while your in there and eliminate the excessive dive you get from the lame oem suspension

Old 04-28-2015, 07:50 AM
jsl6v8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ynots
If I were you I'd go with option #3 to double your stopping power. You could upgrade the front suspension while your in there and eliminate the excessive dive you get from the lame oem suspension
I see what you did there... give me more things to look up and research and buy, you almost had me. I'll look into that, trying to budget one project at a time, but you're right if I'm already in there I kind of might as well.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:41 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorD
Originally Posted by gartec81
This is what I was going to do until i decided to redo the entire front end. The bracket is not that expensive and the calipers can be found pretty cheap on ebay.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:03 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

If you pockets are deep, check these guys out.
http://www.lyndallbrakes.com/

Quick Reply: 2012 FXDC brake upgrade options? opinions/advice please