Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Jagg Low Mount Oil Cooler on the Wide Glide Today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts
Default Installed Jagg Low Mount Oil Cooler on the Wide Glide Today...

Had the afternoon and installed the Jagg 750-2500 low mount oil cooler today. No surprises, the Jagg is well thought out, the cooler itself mounts to the front engine isolator bolts, I've shimmed out my front mount and am using longer than stock grade 8 bolts but adding the cooler didn't disturb my shims. A quick test ride told me the Jagg does make a difference, the feed line was much hotter than the return line so obviously it is making a difference in oil temperatures, I'll mount up the Power Vision and see how the temps are now compared to earlier temperature numbers.

The left side oil line out feed from the adapter sits close to the voltage regulator, I'll be very mindful of that and watch that oil line, I may sheath that line or go to braided oil lines, I've chopped into her blood supply so being prudent is the only way to go

My gauge says no changes to oil pressure so any added cooling is welcome

This is the kit I used, you may be able to find it a bit cheaper on eBay, I dunno...
Amazon.com: Jagg Oil Coolers Horizontal 10 Row Oil Cooler - Low Mount - Black 750-2500: Automotive Amazon.com: Jagg Oil Coolers Horizontal 10 Row Oil Cooler - Low Mount - Black 750-2500: Automotive

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 08-05-2015 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Image link...
Old 08-05-2015, 06:56 PM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice oil cooler!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:50 PM
user 8382390
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nice job.

Nice job on the install. Looking forward to your post on the new oil temps. What was your temp running before the install? Always been curious how much difference an oil cooler would make and what the expectations are. 25 degrees cooler? More? Also in your opinion if it made a 25 degree difference would that be of value. I guess I am looking for justification to sell myself on one..lol. Probably be a significant help here in the Deep South.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice looking install, thanks for sharing. I think I'd like an oil cooler, I'm just trying to decide between low mount or side mount.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:23 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

In some of the warm weather we've had recently I'd see engine temperatures of 250 - 260 running on the highway and in traffic more like 280 -290; and cylinder head temperatures, oh boy. My hope is the oil cooler can help reduce those numbers, cooler is always going to be better for the longevity on these big 103's.

This was a part of my getting ready to move back home to Florida, I know how hot it gets in traffic in Florida. I truly was a bit surprised by how much cooler the return line felt compared to the feed line, the Jagg is clearly dropping the oil temperatures, the difference between the feed and return lines was very apparent and any amount of heat we can remove from these air cooled engines is going to make a difference.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice work and good write up TCC. I am going to install one of these or a similar system, in a different fashion though and appreciate the additional info. Let us know what the PV says on the temps...

Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks so much for the write up and review. I still haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, we've been in SoCal now for 3 days with temps up to 110 and I still haven't taken the bike out. Hope to shortly though.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:12 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

One thing I didn't mention and should... it's going to be really helpful if you have a long 5/32" allen when you install the adapter, 5/32" isn't always included in the sets you can buy. You tighten down the base of the adapter to the oil filter nipple in the housing with a 1" socket then secure the face of the adapter and the anti-rotation plate with 5/32" allen screws. I used a 5/32" allen socket on a 12" extension to reach in, trying to do that with short hex key type allen's you'll hate yourself

Old 08-06-2015, 12:03 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

An update on the temperatures; I mounted the Power Vision and took a ride, weather is sunny and a bit cooler today at 79 degrees. I did some short highway 60 MPH and spent a bit of time in town playing in lunch hour traffic on roads with multiple traffic signals that I always manage to catch red

Out running 60 MPH the engine temps were clearly lower, 210 and head temps were 290, they were normally 250 and 330 for these weather temperatures. In town the engine temp slowly started to rise but not as fast as it used to before adding the Jagg and it dropped back off much quicker with even slow forward movement. Engine temps were in the 240 - 250 range and the head temps in the 310 - 330 range. Before, in-town in traffic the engine temps for this ambient temperature were 280 with the head climbing up around 370.

Clearly the temperatures have been lowered; they start lower, climb slower and drop faster in traffic so an across the board reduction... that's a really good thing The Jagg was worth the price of admission.

Knowing how well I've tuned this WG using the Power Vision I know it's running about as cool as it can, adding the oil cooler is making it that much better. I wonder what sort of temperatures the bikes running stock or near stock fueling and no oil cooler are ::shudder::

Old 08-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
An update on the temperatures; I mounted the Power Vision and took a ride, weather is sunny and a bit cooler today at 79 degrees. I did some short highway 60 MPH and spent a bit of time in town playing in lunch hour traffic on roads with multiple traffic signals that I always manage to catch red

Out running 60 MPH the engine temps were clearly lower, 210 and head temps were 290, they were normally 250 and 330 for these weather temperatures. In town the engine temp slowly started to rise but not as fast as it used to before adding the Jagg and it dropped back off much quicker with even slow forward movement. Engine temps were in the 240 - 250 range and the head temps in the 310 - 330 range. Before, in-town in traffic the engine temps for this ambient temperature were 280 with the head climbing up around 370.

Clearly the temperatures have been lowered; they start lower, climb slower and drop faster in traffic so an across the board reduction... that's a really good thing The Jagg was worth the price of admission.

Knowing how well I've tuned this WG using the Power Vision I know it's running about as cool as it can, adding the oil cooler is making it that much better. I wonder what sort of temperatures the bikes running stock or near stock fueling and no oil cooler are ::shudder::
Thanks for the update man... Looks like you've seen some pretty decent temp decreases.. that's what I am shooting for too. I also have mine tuned out pretty well with the PV but now I really want to get with it and get my oil cooler on. Your last sentence being the main motivator for that... ugh..

Quick Reply: Installed Jagg Low Mount Oil Cooler on the Wide Glide Today...