Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange front end issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Glidewider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange front end issue.

Hello, I have a 2014 wide glide. Throughout this summer I've noticed that I have to turn my handlebars slightly to the right in order to make the bike track straight. I can notice the front end is in fact turned based on the difference in distance between the top tree and the gas tank on either side. Has anyone had this issue before and know any starting points in troubleshooting this issue.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:38 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

When I had my 2007 XL1200C repaired they screwed up and my front end was not straight.
my friend told me to loosen it and when I did it popped in straight. So I just tightened it back up to spec with the blue loctite.
My guess is the same thing happened to you.
You may not be as lucky to have to straighten out that easy but I would loosen the pinch bolts on the triple tress and try to tweek it in yourself.
You can hold the front wheel between your legs and give the front end a twist in the right direction.
Worked for me.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Glidewider
6th Gear

Thanks man....I did notice that one of my fork tubes is about a 1/16th of an inch higher than the other one (above the top tree) thanks again, I'm gonna try this suggestion tonight. ..

Old 09-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Ironcleveland
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glidewider
Thanks man....I did notice that one of my fork tubes is about a 1/16th of an inch higher than the other one (above the top tree) thanks again, I'm gonna try this suggestion tonight. ..
THIS is a problem. Fix this, then do what he explained.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Glidewider
6th Gear

Cool thanks. I've corrected the fork tube issue. I just have to wait till the morning to try it out.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:41 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Glidewider
Hello, I have a 2014 wide glide. Throughout this summer I've noticed that I have to turn my handlebars slightly to the right in order to make the bike track straight. I can notice the front end is in fact turned based on the difference in distance between the top tree and the gas tank on either side. Has anyone had this issue before and know any starting points in troubleshooting this issue.
Adjust the rear tire until the belt rides in the center of the sprocket while spinning it on a jack--- poor man's alignment--- make sure you keep the belt tension correct when doing this. If all else is correct, the bike will go straight

Old 09-04-2015, 06:23 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't read the thread but, I can't believe that member name was even available. Just sayin.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Glidewider
6th Gear

Last night I loosened the four pinch points on the fork tubes and gave the front end a shimmy. Ths corrected the 1/16th inch offset in the tubes. However today the front end issue is still present. .fak... so does mean it must be an issue with the rear wheel alignment, or maybe the rubber mounting alignment?

Old 09-04-2015, 08:01 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess the next thing would be to check the rear wheel alignment.
Easy enough. They make a tool for that but you can use mechanics wire to check the distance from the center of the swing arm to the center of the axle nuts on each side.
After that if there is nothing found to be wrong I would have the stealer you purchased it from check the frame alignment.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Glidewider
6th Gear

Originally Posted by stilup
I guess the next thing would be to check the rear wheel alignment.
Easy enough. They make a tool for that but you can use mechanics wire to check the distance from the center of the swing arm to the center of the axle nuts on each side.
After that if there is nothing found to be wrong I would have the stealer you purchased it from check the frame alignment.
Cool...thanks again

Quick Reply: Strange front end issue.