Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo installed, on but guage not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:35 PM
5 speed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo installed, on but guage not working

Hi so I had to mount a new speedo and find a place for it as I have a cafe fairing on my superglide. I followed a fellow forum member's lead and mounted on the mounting bolts for the handlebars and it hangs there and misses the tank by about a 1/4 inch. Perfect! Except my second hand speedo doesnt work. It had the same connector and was a different model number than the one for my 07 but is the same. It comes on, lighted, the little alarm key flashes etc and the ODOMETER works and is clocking miles but the needle doesnt move.

When you start your bike does the needle clock all the way around once or does it bump a little when the key is turned on? Mine doesnt do anything. SO any ideas?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

When I start my bike the speedo needle stays put. Do you know for sure that it was working when you bought it?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

You can run a test by holding the odometer reset button while switching the key from off to run. That should bump the needle over once and put you into diagnostic mode. There's lots of instructions on diagnostics on the forum. However, one thing I learned the hard way was that speedometers are married to the ECM. Meaning that your ECM has your bikes VIN embedded in it and if the VIN in the speedo doesn't match you'll get errors.

The VIN match is just another thing to watch out for when buying a second hand speedometer.

Actually, just reread your post, does the needle move when you're riding? If that's working then sounds like everything is OK.

Last edited by Robottom; 02-12-2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: reread
Old 02-12-2016, 12:58 PM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No that's is wrong speedo are not married to ecm. Check connector , make sure the pins make contact. I used a sporty combo tech/speedo on my 09 fxdb worked fine. I currentlyrics using a bagger tech on my bike works fine.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by WRKD4ITFLHX2008
No that's is wrong speedo are not married to ecm. Check connector , make sure the pins make contact. I used a sporty combo tech/speedo on my 09 fxdb worked fine. I currentlyrics using a bagger tech on my bike works fine.

I don't know if all speedometers have the same characteristics but see the attachment, page 5, RED box.

Last edited by Robottom; 10-17-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:24 PM
5 speed
Advanced

Originally Posted by WRKD4ITFLHX2008
I believe this is correct; Its not giving any errors, displays ODO and A and B work. The speedo came from a sporty. It is clocking miles, the alarm key lights red (also is it supposed to continously flash at long intervals to warn others that its armed? because I noticed that this morning wheN I entered the garage) its just the needle isnt moving.
Could it be the speed sensor? Is that on top of the tranny? Hard to get to? If not I will go home and clean it to see if that could be it.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:27 PM
5 speed
Advanced

I spoke to the guy and he indicates it was working when he removed from his sporty at 1300 miles. with everything else working except the needle I wonder if its the speed sensor? Also I tried holding the button in and turning it on and that didnt do anything;the odometer reading came up as normal and didnt notice anything different.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:40 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What year sporty? Your bike is 07 correct? Your bikes speedo needs to get its info from the green/ violet wire which is the serial data wire. If the speedo your using doesn't get its info the same way then it will not work, you need to look at the wiring diagrams from both bikes

Old 02-12-2016, 02:48 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

I'd check the connectors. I don't think your odometer would be adding mileage if the speed sensor was not working.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:20 PM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apples or oranges

Maybe Digital speedo/tech but not analog speedo/tech
So what kinda of speedo we talking about to clear the air.

Quick Reply: Speedo installed, on but guage not working