Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake cable extension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 AM
hahmmo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question) Brake cable extension for new handlebar..

Hi members!

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with brake cable "extension" job, instead of swapping to a new, longer cable..

I got a 15 low rider with abs, that is currently in the dealer shop for handle bar change.. I am putting 8 inch riser with a sporty bar..

I thought about doing the work myself but just went to the dealer mainly because of brake cable job being it a big safety issue..Now I thought the dealer would order new upper and lower brake assembly (like ones from magnum shield) since my model has dual abs calipre and as the cables are pressed into manifold... But instead they sent the original cable to a cable company (it's called Cycletech in Baltimore who is supposedly reputable guys), and added extra 7 inches or cable to the original one..

After some goggling and forum searching, it didnt seem like a common method to get the cable length..at least in motorcycle (bicycle maybe?) Even the method works, I am worried about safety and durability of such method of extending brake cable on a "motorcycle"

I would appreciate to hear your thoughts..or any experience on brake cable extension vs new cable.

Thanks

Last edited by hahmmo; 04-29-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:57 AM
hsr
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The brakes have hoses for fluid, not a cable. Is that what you meant?

They have a banjo fitting on each end. To extend one of the hoses, you would needs some sort of block to couple two of them together with their respective banjo bolts. Personally I think it would be much easier and less expensive to replace the hose with a single run of one hose.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:21 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I don't have any experience with ABS on an HD but I have changed out brake lines on sport bikes with ABS and as hsr posted, it's banjo bolt fittings. I don't understand why they didn't simply go to a longer single brake line. With as critical as your braking is I'd personally want to know why the dealer took what sounds like a shadetree engineering approach to a job many of us here have done; taller bars means you install longer lines not piece it together.

If you discover why the dealer took this approach post up what the reasoning is, I'm curious...

Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM
hahmmo
Advanced

Originally Posted by hsr
The brakes have hoses for fluid, not a cable. Is that what you meant?

They have a banjo fitting on each end. To extend one of the hoses, you would needs some sort of block to couple two of them together with their respective banjo bolts. Personally I think it would be much easier and less expensive to replace the hose with a single run of one hose.
Thank you for the reply HSR

I meant the line that runs from the brake lever down to the manifold under the triple tree..so I guess brake hose or line sorry for the wrong terminology..

They did it because the hose or line could not be disconnected from the manifold.. The upper brake line and the abs manifold under triple tree is one single unit which cannot be disassembled...this was an issue I knew beforehand...just didnt know they would approach it this way. They told me they were going to "customize" the brake line, so I thought they had some magical way of separating the upper brake line from the manifold, or was going to build a new manifold and add new brake line...But instead they just added extra inches of brake line by "coupling" with the original cable still connected to the manifold

My concern was that this did not seem to be a common method to get extra length for the brake line.. at least in motorcycle..Do you think coupling" two brake line is a safe method to extend it?

Last edited by hahmmo; 04-29-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:21 AM
hahmmo
Advanced

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I don't have any experience with ABS on an HD but I have changed out brake lines on sport bikes with ABS and as hsr posted, it's banjo bolt fittings. I don't understand why they didn't simply go to a longer single brake line. With as critical as your braking is I'd personally want to know why the dealer took what sounds like a shadetree engineering approach to a job many of us here have done; taller bars means you install longer lines not piece it together.

If you discover why the dealer took this approach post up what the reasoning is, I'm curious...
thank you for the reply Tincupchalice

For some reason, on '15 low rider upper brake line is pressed onto the manifold under triple tree, and cannot be separated... you would have to change the whole upper line + manifold + lower line all together, which was what I thought they were gonna do...

I did tell them that I could order my own parts from Magnum shielding, but the dealer said they knew a reputable guy who they had been working for years...and they gave me good quote. So I let them work on it..when I asked them what exaxtly will be done, the dealer told me they will modify or customize the line...I kind of figured they may have a secret way of disconnecting the line from the manifold..which could not be done from what I knew.. But it turns out they just added extra inches of brake line to the original one, by coupling

I was cocerned whether this is a safe and reliable method, as I couldnt find any similar work on the web...if the concensus is its not a common method, I didnt wanna take any chances with unproven method..

That being said, is "coupling" two brake line a safe method to extend it?

Last edited by hahmmo; 04-29-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 AM
hsr
Cruiser

Yes, coupling is a safe method. If you think about it, where the hose is connected to the master cylinder and at calipers is a "coupling" or union.

My thought now is, how are they hiding that coupling up by your bars?

Last edited by hsr; 04-29-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:42 AM
hsr
Cruiser

We're talking about #12 in the picture, right? It seems that someone would make a replacement for that line assembly with a longer/shorter upper section for other than stock bars. And based on that picture, it's not one piece all the way back to the manifold. 14 and 15 are brake nut attachments into the block integral hose 12 at #3.

The coupler as I described would be where items 7 and 8 are.

Attached Thumbnails Brake cable extension?-image.gif  

Last edited by hsr; 04-29-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:43 AM
hahmmo
Advanced

Originally Posted by hsr
Yes, coupling is a safe method. If you think about it, where the hose is connected to the master cylinder and at calipers is a "coupling" or union.

My now is, how are they hiding that coupling up by your bars?
i see, good to know it's safe... as for the look, I have yet to see it in person.. I just spoke to them over the phone, who explained to me what they have done. it sounded like the connection is exposed...I am heading to the dealer later today...Will keep you updated.. My current feeling is that If it's safe I may keep it becuz it's a bit cheaper..than getting a whole new brakeline set...which will be 300ish..

Will keep you posted!

Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 AM
hsr
Cruiser

Well... oddly, #12 doesn't have a part number listed on the two parts microfiche sites I just checked. If you have single front caliper. #13 is for dual front #41800296A. Do you have single or dual fronts?

Last edited by hsr; 04-29-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:50 AM
hahmmo
Advanced

Originally Posted by hsr
We're talking about #12 in the picture, right? It seems that someone would make a replacement for that line assembly with a longer/shorter upper section for other than stock bars. And based on that picture, it's not one piece all the way back to the manifold. 14 and 15 are brake nut attachments into the block integral hose 12 at #3.

The coupler as I described would be where items 7 and 8 are.
Yes #12, the upper brake line. The manifold I was referring to, is the small block between #12 and #6,#9 (the part where #3 goes into) That things supposedly cannot be disconnected or separated from each other..

Quick Reply: Brake cable extension?