Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorted Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 05:12 AM
mike55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorted Battery

Ive got a 2003 wide glide. As I was changing the battery I managed to Jam the positive agains.t the frame. By the time I managed to move it away it fried the battery. Now when I put another battery in the bike will not run. The speedo seems to bounce a bit , but it will not turn over. What have I damaged by doing this, Is there a computer on these bikes

Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

First thing is to check all the fuses and such. Eliminate simple things, then work up to other possibilities.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:15 AM
mike55
Intermediate

its not blown fuses. its definitely a short somewhere. even when the switch is off the red light flashes

Old 05-01-2016, 08:34 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mike55
its not blown fuses. its definitely a short somewhere. even when the switch is off the red light flashes
Don't believe you have any computer. Make sure you check the fuses... with a meter.. all of them.

Is the red light in the shape of a key perhaps?... that may be your security system ( if you have one) still working.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:07 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull main fuse for about 30 seconds or so. Worth a try.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 AM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Funny (interesting, not haha), that I was looking at the positive post on my bike and was puzzled at how close to the frame it sits...like maybe 1/8", even when installed correctly. So I feel your pain, it's a terrible design. They should have notched the frame to give some clearance.

But, on to your problem. When you shorted the positive post, all the current was rammed through the ground wires. Pull the battery and look over all the ground wires. I would bet you will find some seriously overheated insulation, and likely a couple that need to be replaced.

If nothing was turned on when this happened (i.e. key off) then there is no way any equipment was damaged by the battery grounding. It is some overheat in a ground wire that is always connected to the battery.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:03 PM
mike55
Intermediate

I guess Ill go through the harness and see if there are any areas that look burn't. Something is definitely shorted though. I can't remember if the switch was on or off when I shorted the battery. More fun and games. Anyone know if theres a computer on this bike?

Old 05-01-2016, 01:50 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Computer

If it is a fuel injected bike, it has a computer...If it has a carburetor then no.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:25 PM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

There is an ignition computer...and it feeds the tach...but not the speedo.

Then...there is the turn signal computer...that does feed the speedo.

And, if it is fuel injected there is the ECM (computer).

All of these would not be damaged with the key off, and still highly unlikely if the key was on.

I'd start with the large gage ground wire that goes from the negative post to the starter/frame. It took the main hit. If it is totally burned through, then it would continue to cause other damage. If the large ground it still intact, then it is likely the only wire damaged.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:03 PM
mike55
Intermediate

Okay I,ve gone over everything and do not see any burn't wires or broken wires. When you connect the battery even with the switch off the small red light flashes constantly. If I use the fob and turn the switch on the speedo mileage jumps around and the flashers go back and forth. If you bump the bike the flashers go back and forth. I've tried removing the TSSM and the flashers still flash and the speedo mileage still jumps. The motor will not turn over. I'm thinking this has something todo with the anti theft. Anyone have any ideas? also when I was looking on line for a TSSM I noticed they all look similar but the numbers are different. Are these interchangeable or do you need the exact number. Mine is 68924-00B. Is there a way to check these? Thanks

Quick Reply: Shorted Battery