Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 FXDX Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:21 PM
cdg097
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 FXDX Build

Well, bike is finally almost done. Just waiting on compression releases to arrive, should be ready to go tomorrow. I had an issue where my powdercoater made my tank take a nosedive off the top shelf, and then deny it, but I was able to get a body guy to repair it until I get my hands on another one (if anybody has a line on one, please let me know!). Went big bore, ported heads, cams, cam chest upgrade, and powdercoating. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of other stuff but its been a crazy day at work so far. Looking forward to getting it on the dyno tomorrow to see the difference. Weather has been consistently good the last week and a half or so, but just my luck starting Wed its supposed to rain for 5-6 days straight. I planned on doing some suspension work in the front but after ordering the parts, I was told that the FXDX has three different front ends and the parts I ordered won't work, and that there are no upgrades for front suspension on them. Anybody have thoughts? Last pic is the inside of the tank after the powdercoater dropped it and tried to beat the dent out with a hammer and screwdriver.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:27 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Holy ****. That looks like more than a "oops, I dropped it". Looks like he hit it with a fork lift!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:35 PM
cdg097
Cruiser

Lol right? He first tried to tell me I dropped it off to him that way. I told him I brought him a flawless tank with the factory original paint on it. He then tried to tell me that 3 out of 5 tanks come from the MoCo like that and they are just filled in with bondo and painted. I told him he was crazy, because if 60% of their tanks are being damaged at the factory, they are losing their *** on repairing them.

He was sending me pics of my fenders and wheels 3 days before I picked them up. Not once did he send a pic of the tank. Funny that. And called an hour before I picked them up to tell me about the damage. Nothing adds up that he told me.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:46 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Hopefully he reimbursed you the cost of a new tank.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:49 PM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cdg097
Lol right? He first tried to tell me I dropped it off to him that way. I told him I brought him a flawless tank with the factory original paint on it. He then tried to tell me that 3 out of 5 tanks come from the MoCo like that and they are just filled in with bondo and painted. I told him he was crazy, because if 60% of their tanks are being damaged at the factory, they are losing their *** on repairing them.

He was sending me pics of my fenders and wheels 3 days before I picked them up. Not once did he send a pic of the tank. Funny that. And called an hour before I picked them up to tell me about the damage. Nothing adds up that he told me.
You should go back wearing waders next time.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:58 PM
BFMCdyna
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cdg097
I planned on doing some suspension work in the front but after ordering the parts, I was told that the FXDX has three different front ends and the parts I ordered won't work, and that there are no upgrades for front suspension on them. Anybody have thoughts?

As far as suspension upgrades for the front, I have been contemplating Big Al's Cycles FXDX fork springs. The website claims it is 60/40 dual rate spring kit designed for the FXDX and FXDX-T models. Springs are the exact length of the oem but stiffer spring rate to increase stability and ride quality. Maybe someone has some first hand experience with this set up? Of course you could always go with a Kraus inverted front end and make us all envious.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:07 PM
cdg097
Cruiser

Cgg - he has flat out denied damaging it. Even went so far as to get some bondo and form it to the dent and say his blast guy found it in the blast cabinet. I showed the picture to another powder coater and he laughed his *** off and said bondo won't hold like that when sandblasted.

CJD - this guy was a "friend of mine," who I've sent countless people to over the years for powdercoat work, and then he does me this way. Another thing I find funny is that literally every single piece that he coats, he posts pictures of on Facebook and Instagram. He posted NONE of my stuff, which is more confirmation to me as well.

BFMC - I am really at a loss as far as the front suspension goes. From what the shop told me, there is no suspension upgrade for my bike without changing the entire fork assembly out, which isn't really in the budget right now. A Kraus inverted is definitely not in the cards, lol.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:13 PM
rydercheers
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I second the Big Al's DX springs they're the only people I've seen offer anything just for the DX forks.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:20 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by rydercheers
I second the Big Al's DX springs they're the only people I've seen offer anything just for the DX forks.
I'm super curious about these springs... Does anyone know of anyone who's tried them? I have a DX, and I've definitely improved things up front just with a bunch of trial and error adjustment and a fork brace, but I always want things to be better still...

Old 05-23-2016, 04:31 PM
jiml53
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

cdg,

Check with Hogpro, I remember him having an FXDXT and doing suspension work on it among other things. Sorry to hear about your powdercoater.

Jim

Quick Reply: 2002 FXDX Build