Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which set up?
Standard Lowrider, modified preformance ( 110 not worth it)
22.73%
S version, modified looks (110 worth it)
70.45%
other (post below)
6.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Lowrider vs S version buying advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:55 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts
Default 2016 Lowrider vs S version buying advise

So I'm looking to buy a Lowrider this next month or so. The 2017 models are just about to hit and I'm already noticing a huge mark down on the 2016 ones. I'm waiting to see what the 2017 line up offers.

One thing I am debating is the standard Lowrider vs the S version. I greatly prefer the looks of the standard and everything but the engine isn't too spendy of a swap. From what I'm coming across the 110 isn't as reliable of an engine (?) but I've spent maybe ten minutes looking into that and I'm not sure what truth that holds.

My thought process was that I could get a standard version for $4000 or more less than I could the S version. They're going for full price at the dealership while the standards are marked down quite a bit. The difference in price could buy some serious suspension, or maybe a stage 1 and some gripper brakes (or maybe I just need to swap out the pads for something with more bite, they felt lazy to me no matter how hard I pulled on them)

I plan on riding two up and solo. I like to check things out along the way but also ride for the whole day sometimes. I ride in the city and have found a nimble sports bike to be helpful for all of that, but I recon there is a lot bike not being used on the street. (I also recon that bike makes me be more illegal than I should be, one reason for the swap).

I like to ride year round which means having to ride in the rain, not seeing any real rain tires for Harleys though (?). Course I'm not sure I want to commute those early hours in the rain on a bike again, it's do-able just a lot of work gearing up when you're waking up.

So, better to mod the standard version now or start with the S version? I'd like to do a stage 1, get it dyno tuned and get it to stop a little harder if I want. Other than that I was enjoying how the bike was set up quite a bit, I'm not much of a knee dragger it seems, lol.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2016, 01:46 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

110 motor.....upgraded suspension.....dual front calipers. These are things that you May Need/Want to have

The following users liked this post:
CaptainAwesome (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you want some chrome or blacked out? $4k will get you some nice upgrades in the aftermarket to where you could mod the standard to perform better than the S. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:52 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15

110 motor.....upgraded suspension.....dual front calipers. These are things that you May Need/Want to have
Standard has the same brakes as far as I can tell. The 110 does have ride by wire throttle/cruise control though. Also has the SE intake which might be nice if the stock one hits your knees.
The S is a heck of a deal if you don't mind having a bike that lacks contrast. I'm usually a function over form guy myself, but the S is even a little too formless for me.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Yeah, if I got an S version I would definitely play around with it. I'd like a black bike but there's black and then there is nothing but black. Not sure fully murdered is what I'm in the mood for on this one. With that being said it's more fun for me to make something look how I want than to get it to function how I want.

The 110 though should be a better starting point for power. But I don't know much about the differences of the two engines other than size. To get one the dealer told me on Saturday I had to put $1000 down, they sold the last one in the state on Friday. They sell as soon as someone knows of it basically. The standard versions they have one that's already $3000 off MSRP, and that's before the 2017 models come out.

I'm sorta waiting to see what comes of the 2017 models. They seem to be in a more than standard frenzy to push the 2016s. It's a fair amount of money to have to do MSRP, but it beats the price of regret.

I would be changing exhaust no matter what and getting it dyno'd. Not sure how much Harleys need to be adjusted if I change things like the air filter, so I might do that first as well. And probably try to find a 2 person seat that still keeps the feel I want from the bike... and probably luggage eventually, back packs just don't match well, lol. And I'm guessing brake pads. I can't find an S version to see if it brakes any difference. I'm used to using ones that bite pretty hard.

And the S comes with ABS and a security system standard. That alone eats up a lot of the price difference if I modded a standard version.

Crap. I just realized I'm going to end up going the spendy route on this...

Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 PM
Chonk
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

What grabs your gut?

You know you're going to spend money either way so what grabs you?

Also, remember that there is a lot of chatter about changes coming with 2017 so you might want to hold on for a few more weeks until after the dealer meeting.

Chonk

CaptainAwesome (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 1,914 Posts

If you ride 2 up a lot as do I, the standard is great, only you will need a better seat for the passenger. For me, the standard version is great, plenty of power even 2 up and loaded for a trip, as others have said 4 grand will buy a lot of accessories and upgrades. for yourself though, only you can decide which is best for you.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was in a similar situation, deciding between the standard LR or the LRS. The deciding factor for me in going with the S was the following:

1) Dual Front Disc Brakes with ABS
2) Security
3) Throttle By Wire which means Electronic Cruise Control
4) Mag Wheels
5) Upgraded Fork Internals and Upgraded Rear Shocks
6) 110 Motor.
7) All for about $2500 more than a Standard LR.

Of the 6, the 110 was the least important. It's a great motor but I didn't feel I would need the extra 7 cu inches.

Of the 6, the most important was the Dual Front Disc Brakes with ABS, followed by Mag Wheels, Upgraded Suspension, and TBW with Cruise.

For me, I priced out some things and some things, like the dual front discs and TWB/Cruise were either impossible or highly costly.

So in the end, I went with the S. (It also helped that they just got one in the night before and didn't have the standard in the right color.)

To each his own, buy whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:40 AM
dmhines
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went into dealer 2 weeks ago wanting to get a new FXDLS. My dealer would not budge off MSRP on the S. They had a FXDL and ended up giving me that bike for $12,499. More than 4K less than the S. My bike had $1k paint option (purple fire) and ABS and sticker was $16,144. I'm very happy with the FXDL and have lots of extra $$ more Mods which I have already started.

Last edited by dmhines; 07-26-2016 at 05:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmhines:
CaptainAwesome (07-26-2016), saddlebag (07-29-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:02 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

There have been reports from test rides that the engine in the LR-S stock isn't any faster than a modded LR. This is all butt dyno of course. With that said, not many riders keep a Harley engine stock so a modded 107 will be better power wise. I have also heard the 107 runs hotter stock. I'm sure a good tune will help that out. My stock LR cooled off with my FP-3 tune. Even a tune with a stock exhaust/intake will make a lot of difference.

I find my modded LR has plenty of power for the way I ride.

For me, most of the upgrades on the S, I don't care for or I would change out anyway. It just depends on what you want your bike to end up like in the end.

For instance, if you want the S because of the improved suspension components. I would be replacing the rear shocks with longer shocks anyway so it wouldn't matter what the stock rear shocks are. Same with the forks.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lowrider vs S version buying advise