Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road rage differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Thank you all...

my confusion started here, i watched this:

the bassani seems to have the best sound (subjective). granted this is old. so i went looking for them and was met with 23 variants.

so i think the rr2 short will work but i have some questions...
  1. quality of black coloring/customization... I was thinking of doing chome headers/sheilds with a black megaphone and a chrome cap. i will clearly nee to call them on that nonsense but, has the the black faded or turned on anyone?
  2. how's the sound on the highway... does the RR2 (either) drone or fade with the wind noise?

i really don't want to hear blaring exhaust for hours at a time. my fxdwg is just for long hauls. the sporty is for around town/f**kery.

3. i don't care about dyno performance etc... but the general consensus is that the torque curve shifts right, yes? so higher revs and tuning issues down low?

i had that problem with my sportster's grenades, took forever to get right... and it still isn't 100%. at this point, i feel that none of my bikes will ever see a dyno machine... i just don't care, that may change but, for now... no.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

SO I have had both black, and now chrome. Bassani was great about cutting me a deal on a set of chrome shields, and the can. I decided to go with chrome after about six months of running the black shields. I like a little contrast on the bike, and I deleted a lot of chrome bits, so I decided to add the chrome pipe back on. The black wasn't really black, more like a dark charcoal gray... I believe all ceramic black systems are like this, regardless of manufacturer. The finish was top notch, and seemed to hold up well. I actually sold of my black shields and can, and the new owner has about 10,000 on them, and still no issues with quality. One thing I will point out, rubber boot marks are a biznitch to remove from the black pipes.

Power wise, I love mine. With a stock 103, and FP3, AC, and my Bassani, the bike pulls well in the low range, seems to smooth out a little in the mid 3000 range, then starts pulling hard again at about 3800 - 4800. It may actually keep pulling, but I generally do not spin the motor faster than that.

Edit: I forgot.... Do you wear ear plugs on the highway? I do, but only for wind sound. The pipe is noticeable at highway speeds, but nothing major, unless your rip the throttle. Idle is nice and mellow, but it will bark nicely when you get on it.

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 08-09-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:06 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
SO I have had both black, and now chrome. Bassani was great about cutting me a deal on a set of chrome shields, and the can. I decided to go with chrome after about six months of running the black shields. I like a little contrast on the bike, and I deleted a lot of chrome bits, so I decided to add the chrome pipe back on. The black wasn't really black, more like a dark charcoal gray... I believe all ceramic black systems are like this, regardless of manufacturer. The finish was top notch, and seemed to hold up well. I actually sold of my black shields and can, and the new owner has about 10,000 on them, and still no issues with quality. One thing I will point out, rubber boot marks are a biznitch to remove from the black pipes.

Power wise, I love mine. With a stock 103, and FP3, AC, and my Bassani, the bike pulls well in the low range, seems to smooth out a little in the mid 3000 range, then starts pulling hard again at about 3800 - 4800. It may actually keep pulling, but I generally do not spin the motor faster than that.

Edit: I forgot.... Do you wear ear plugs on the highway? I do, but only for wind sound. The pipe is noticeable at highway speeds, but nothing major, unless your rip the throttle. Idle is nice and mellow, but it will bark nicely when you get on it.
i always have plugs or buds in my ears... the wind will make my ears feel like they are bleeding without protection after about an hour... pain.

thank you, i'll give bassani a call and see if they will give me the chrome black combo i'm after.

Last edited by cvaria; 08-09-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:42 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I just put a 1d12r on my fxdl. Its really not that loud. At idle it sounds great low, deep not annoyingly loud. The pipe only gets "loud" when you goose it. and still its not that bad.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:13 AM
GVan
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I run the RR3 with original FXDXT bags (no heat shield).
I do not notice an excessive amount of heat on the bag after riding. I've been keeping a close eye on it and checking almost every time I stop, but the piece of fabric that wraps around the bottom of the mount does not seem to get hot. I haven't been stuck in traffic on a hot day yet; always moving so far.
I'm more concerned about the exhaust soot becoming a problem and making the bags dirty over time, but so far nothing to complain about.

I also always run buds in my ears, so noise isn't an issue for me. The exhaust barks nice and loud on hard throttle and sounds great, but I was pretty surprised how quiet I can keep it at low speeds if I keep RPMs low and short shift. (fairly stock 88ci). Idle is not as mean sounding as my stock headers with slip-ons were. More mellow. I'm sure that changes with engine setups.

Before I decided to go with the RR3 I was considering the black Road Rage Short (1D5250B). FWIW, best price I found was Direct Cycle Parts.

Good luck.
-G

Old 08-09-2016, 12:36 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieTX
Thanks for the detailed info. Do you happen to know the weight of them?
I first ordered a black RR2 from Revzilla, and then the RR3 was released almost immediately after. Preferring the stainless, I returned the first one which was still uninstalled. I really wish I had taken the opportunity to weigh both pipes, but unfortunately I didn't. I will say this, though... I was disappointed with the black RR2 right away, partly because it seemed like it weighed a ridiculous amount. I was also a little bit put off that the pipe really isn't black, only the shields are (and the megaphone). The RR3 is noticeably lighter, due in part to the lack of full-length heat shields, but I also have the impression that the tubing itself is lighter.

I do need to make a small lower heat shield to go right behind the foot peg though, as the heel of my boot sometimes leaves some black melty stains right there. I've been able to remove it so far with steel wool, but it's annoying.

And btw, there is PLENTY of cornering clearance with this pipe.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:59 PM
GVan
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by F86

I do need to make a small lower heat shield to go right behind the foot peg though, as the heel of my boot sometimes leaves some black melty stains right there.
I have the same issue. For some reason my heel just wants to rest there. I am going to contact Bassani and see if I can get another small heat shield and install that.
-G

Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by GVan
I have the same issue. For some reason my heel just wants to rest there. I am going to contact Bassani and see if I can get another small heat shield and install that.
-G
That was my thought as well, but I tried installing the one heat shield in that location and found that the two head pipes basically touch each other right there, and there isn't even room to feed the clamp through (at least on mine). I'll try again, but I was kind of thinking that I would have to make something that would install around both pipes there...

Old 08-09-2016, 06:08 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master

Not to be a pessimist, but it's doubtful that another heat shield will take care of the issue. I have melted several heals on my Bassani with the shields on. At least the stainless has a brushed look, the black ceramic shields just holds on to shoe rubber like you won't believe.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master

Originally Posted by cvaria
i always have plugs or buds in my ears... the wind will make my ears feel like they are bleeding without protection after about an hour... pain.

thank you, i'll give bassani a call and see if they will give me the chrome black combo i'm after.

You're fine then if you have plugs or buds in... If my plugs are soft, and getting ready for replacement, I can sometimes hear a little motor hum, but the wind still overpowers the pipe.

How do you like riding with ear buds? Been thinking about it, but part of me feels like it might be a little sketchy.

Quick Reply: road rage differences