Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'16 FXDLS American Missile Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I'll take a full side pic today before I block up the bike to do the rear wheel. In addition to the wheel, I'll do the inside area of the rear rotor with high temp black to loose that shiny part and make it look more like the floaters in the front.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Outstanding.

Now you get to work on slowing your missile down.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:36 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
You can buy a brand new set of regular black and polished LR wheels from a discount Harley dealer for $825, plus new bearings, you can reuse the sleeve. Thought of having mine powdercoated but then you gotta remove the tire and pull the bearings also. That also means brand new bearings for about another $100. $300 for powdercoat and about a 10 working day turnaround means a good $400 plus tire removal and reinstallation. So now you are around $500 at least. I decided to paint mine. Got the front one done today. Just gotta finish the orang stripe in the morning when the paint is ready. Total cost $12 for two cans of SuperMaxx paint and $12 for the orange stripes I'm puttin on
Can you point me to that deal? I actually like the stock LR wheels black/silver scheme.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:44 AM
Mchad
Club Member

I knew the front rotor bolts were 20 ft lbs. I was thinking the rear was more since it's a 3/8 bolt rather than a 5/16 like the front. The new pulley bolts are always a good idea. Paint was dry enough to mount the stripes and put the wheel back on. What a difference. I'll tackle the rear tomorrow
That really does look great. How did you paint? Did you pull the tire or mask around it? And... How the hell did you get the sticker so perfectly aligned? Amazing job. Now sometimes I hate that I'm so observant, but in a prior pic you have wrap on your pipes with gold wheels, yet on the shot showing the newly painted wheel on the bike, no wrap. Did you decide against the wrap and pull it?

Old 08-23-2016, 05:47 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Thanks, the rear wheel is more of a PITA to pull because I gotta remove the muffler to pull the axel. I'll remove the pulley and disc as well to paint the wheel. I made one of the Dyna wheel alignment tools in the service manual so I should be able to get it back to correct belt tension and position or darn close. Like your Wide Glide, bought one it 2010 new.
I'm wondering if you pulled the top (or bottom) bolts of the shocks if the rear wheel would drop (or lift) enough that you could clear the muffler w/o removing it?

And sorry for the ridiculous three round burst of posts...

Last edited by Mchad; 08-23-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:16 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Mchad, I got the part numbers for the OEM LR wheels from my local dealer then priced them at Boardtracker HD, a discount dealer. The pair were $825. Yes I masked off the tire using flexible pin stripe tape around the edge of the rim, then 1 inch mask, then 2 inch. Taped off the rotor mount areas too. As for applying the tape, I put the wheel on my work bench using a gas funnel in the center so I could rotate the wheel and apply the tape evenly using the reflection of the shop light in the same spot as a guide as I rotated it. Good idea about dropping the shock, gotta do that anyway so just maybe the axel may clear the muffler.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:39 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

It looks great, Gunny! HD should have consulted with you on the styling of the S Now it looks right...

Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Mchad, I got the part numbers for the OEM LR wheels from my local dealer then priced them at Boardtracker HD, a discount dealer. The pair were $825. Yes I masked off the tire using flexible pin stripe tape around the edge of the rim, then 1 inch mask, then 2 inch. Taped off the rotor mount areas too. As for applying the tape, I put the wheel on my work bench using a gas funnel in the center so I could rotate the wheel and apply the tape evenly using the reflection of the shop light in the same spot as a guide as I rotated it. Good idea about dropping the shock, gotta do that anyway so just maybe the axel may clear the muffler.
Good job. I particularly like the visual reference trick for the stripe application. The paint is rattle-can? Regarding the bead/lip of the wheel - did you do anything special to help prevent chipping or peeling at the hard edge of the paint line? Did you sand and prime? (In case my questions aren't obvious enough, my wheels need a change as well - thinking of all alternatives)

Also note re: getting the wheel off. If dropping doesn't work, though I bet it would, you may be able to raise it up over the pipe - depending on whichever is a shorter distance. Also, if going up is close, but you need a little more, the fender comes off with 4 bolts and may give you that extra inch...

Old 08-23-2016, 09:08 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I knew the front rotor bolts were 20 ft lbs. I was thinking the rear was more since it's a 3/8 bolt rather than a 5/16 like the front. The new pulley bolts are always a good idea. Paint was dry enough to mount the stripes and put the wheel back on. What a difference. I'll tackle the rear tomorrow
The torque spec I gave you was for the front rotor: 16 - 24 ft-lbs.

The rear according to the SM is 30 - 45 ft-lbs.

That earlier torque I posted for the pulley was from memory for my '03 Wide Glide. For this '13's pulley the SM calls for an initial torque of 60 ft-lbs; the pulley bolts are backed off 180° then a final torque of 77 - 83 ft-lbs.

When I replace my pulley bolts I'm using chrome bolts and the updated instructions included for them calls for an initial torque of 25 ft-lbs then a 60° rotation of the bolt; I do know getting that 60° rotation ends up at more than 83 ft-lbs

Old 08-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Front wheel done, rear being done now. Rear done and rear rotor center painted black with Eastwood High Temp

Last edited by Gunnysgt; 08-23-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: '16 FXDLS American Missile Project