Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert to Dual front dics with ABS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:33 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersachs
Cvaria,
Thanks for the reply. I will show your post to the shop. I checked out my front wheel and there is no bolt holes on the right side. Its a cast wheel.I appreciate your help.
Roger
switchblade wheels?

Old 09-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

what about an AN big rotor kit ?

Old 09-07-2016, 01:54 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
switchblade wheels?

Something like the picture, but not chromed out.
Thanks for the help,
Roger

Old 09-07-2016, 02:36 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersachs
Something like the picture, but not chromed out.
Thanks for the help,
Roger

Ah, yeah... new wheels for you.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:02 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by neilpp
I agree completely about the stock brakes. Shameful.

As an alternative you could take the cheapo route and just replace the one caliper with one that actually works and save a lot of $$. I made up a bracket and used a 6 pot Tokico caliper off a sport bike. They are much the same on many of them - mine was from a ZX900 but a Hayabusa uses the same ones.

The bracket took some work but I just had hand tools. The bike now stops well and the project cost was less than $100.

Improving the tires (radials!) and suspension are well worth the investment to help your braking too.
Unless you cant live without ABS, try this first.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:44 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default The calipers used

A good upgrade and you can get a pair on flea-Bay of the 6 piston Tokico

are a good upgrade. Better still is the Spoked mount 320mm rotor(s) we make with those calipers. The calipers are easy to chrome or powder coat, cheap, and readily available. You will need to buy/make an adapter bracket to adapt to your FXD fork slider(s). We are developing a kit for (first) a FLT using dresser Brembo calipers, adapter plates, & either spoke or hub mount utilizing our 320mm rotors. After we get that program running we will develop an adapter(s) for the FXD. You get the idea as all is better than those twin cam calipers. All it takes is some time, dedication, and willingness to work to make it yours. Good braking is essential in safety. You get increased brake feedback so you know what the wheel is doing and how far you can push it.

I am sure that staying with a single caliper would work exactly the same in an ABS application, you just change the caliper, adapter, and if you wish rotor size. The ABS sensor works on rotation. Good luck to all who have the ingenuity and determination to make your bike yours.

The following 2 users liked this post by FastHarley:
oldbie (09-26-2016), rogersachs (09-29-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 12:44 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FastHarley
A good upgrade and you can get a pair on flea-Bay of the 6 piston Tokico

are a good upgrade. Better still is the Spoked mount 320mm rotor(s) we make with those calipers. The calipers are easy to chrome or powder coat, cheap, and readily available. You will need to buy/make an adapter bracket to adapt to your FXD fork slider(s). We are developing a kit for (first) a FLT using dresser Brembo calipers, adapter plates, & either spoke or hub mount utilizing our 320mm rotors. After we get that program running we will develop an adapter(s) for the FXD. You get the idea as all is better than those twin cam calipers. All it takes is some time, dedication, and willingness to work to make it yours. Good braking is essential in safety. You get increased brake feedback so you know what the wheel is doing and how far you can push it.

I am sure that staying with a single caliper would work exactly the same in an ABS application, you just change the caliper, adapter, and if you wish rotor size. The ABS sensor works on rotation. Good luck to all who have the ingenuity and determination to make your bike yours.
Keep on developing . Harley OEM single rotor is not safe.
Roger

Old 09-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

I would stay away from using Fat Bob legs on mid glide trees for your conversion, machine work is required for the right hand caliper and if you are using the XR1200 Nissin calipers machine work is required for both calipers due to lug spacing differences on the Fat Bob legs. That being said this is what the XR1200 caliper swap looks like.

This is what your dealing with, this is what the mismatch looks like on the right hand side with the caliper hard shimmed, centered on the rotor.

Setting the lug height on both calipers to center over the rotors, measure 10 times, machine once. Caliper dis-assembly is required to get everything square.

Conversion complete. The caliper mounting bolts are 17-4 PH, shortened to get full bolt shank engagement in the fork caliper lugs (OCD is strong with me).

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 09-11-2016 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Corrected really bad grammer
Old 09-10-2016, 11:42 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I would stay away from using Fat Bob legs on mid glide trees for your conversion, machine work is required for the right hand caliper and if you are using the XR1200 Nissin calipers machine work is required for both calipers due to lug spacing differences on the Fat Bob legs. That being said this is what the XR1200 caliper swap looks like.

This is what your dealing with, this is with the what the mismatch looks like on the right hand side with the caliper hard shimmed, centered on the rotor.

Setting the lug height on both calipers to center over the rotors, measure 10 times, machine once. Caliper dis-assembly is required to get everything square.

Conversion complete. The caliper mounting bolts are 17-4 PH, shortened to get full bolt shank engagement in the fork caliper lugs (OCD is strong with me).

: Mike
Mike,
Thanks for the thoughts. Will show this post to the shop.
Roger

Old 09-25-2016, 01:00 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile

Well here we go.
Taking the bike in on Tuesday.
Bike shop is very causual. They think its no problem especially since I already have a single disc abs.
I am always skeptical , especially when I have high expetations. I hope I am doing the right thing, but I am very committed and hate my singel disc.
They claim it will take only 2 weeks. We will see.
I done some home work, mainly on Forum posts . I printed and and will give them to the shop. I hope they read and not get insulted. But its good to hear from others with the same problems and experiences and fixes. I even found a post of dual disc conversion with abs with part numbers on the 2013 street bob.
Keep tuned in.
Roger

Quick Reply: Convert to Dual front dics with ABS