Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

39mm fxd front end upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 12:04 PM
NO_SPRK
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 39mm fxd front end upgrade

hey guys i picked up a set of 13spoke mag wheels to replace the spokes with and i have a few questions...

1. tires are like new metz 880, the mags are slightly narrower? no issues swapping tires over?

2. i want to buy +2 fork tubes to match my 13" rear shock upgrade, can you guys recommend quality tubes?

3. i want to do dual front disc upgrade at the same time, any tips or deals on buying new rotors, right caliper, 11/16 master, etc.

4. wheel bearings, anyone rent a tool out so i dont have to blow $80+?
also i see the OEM are german F.A.G. but has anyone found a SKF or timken replacement (i heard all ***** are made in CHINA)

5. fork slider, my local parts guy found me a 883r right fork leg that is setup for standard fork tubes, this SHOULD be the right one and same one used in factory dual disc conversions (45922-00)

ONE MORE THING.... my upper engine link has gone bad along with my rear mount, has anyone used plain heim joints instead of the rubber bushing OEM style? im wondering how much more vibration will be transmitted.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:51 AM
NO_SPRK
Tourer

Bump? Or should i ask what seat or highway pegs fits?

Tech forums?

Last edited by NO_SPRK; 09-27-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:10 AM
NO_SPRK
Tourer

This forum is a fukin joke! Thanks for the help

Old 09-28-2016, 12:05 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 586 Likes on 333 Posts

1. What size are the tires? If stock size 19 in front and 16 in back, should be no issues.

2. https://www.customcycleengineering.c...1/Fork_Tubes-6

^if you don't know the stock size, they have a chart, or you could probably call them...

3. Caliper and master cylinder should be easily found on ebay. Rotors - find the ones you want, and order them.

4. I don't mess with wheel bearings. Don't trust my abilities there so I pay someone else to do it. That way if it gets screwed up it's not my fault...

5. If it's the right one, then pick it up.

6. Can't say, never had that issue on my old bike.

Best source of knowledge would be your local indy. Anything you can't find online, buy them a six pack and ask them.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:09 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

How old are the tires? Over 5 years? Get rid of them.
Fork tubes by Frank.
They can make any length you want.
Maybe Harbor Freight has an arbor press to install your American made Torrington bearings?

Old 09-28-2016, 12:12 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Landmark Mfg has a heim joint device for the top engine mount. Polished SS.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:21 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Maybe Harbor Freight has an arbor press to install your American made Torrington bearings?
Of course, the press will be made in China!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:58 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 586 Likes on 333 Posts

Meanwhile, the Showa forks are made in Japan...food for thought...lol

Old 09-28-2016, 01:01 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by NO_SPRK
This forum is a fukin joke! Thanks for the help
Patience...

Sometimes I don't get a response for a week, sometimes a minute, sometimes never.

It all depends who has a moment to look at stuff, and when.

We've all been programmed to expect things to happen quickly, but nobody here has a full time job answering forum postings (I don't think!)...

However, the experience and helpfulness of people here is invaluable.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 PM
NO_SPRK
Tourer

wow... that was a jump from a dead thread.

thanks for the save.

tires are 100/90 up front and what equals out to a 140 in the back

the rear mag is still 3" wide but the front is 2.15 wide compared to 2.5, tire manufacture date is just over 2yrs old. they have been on the bike for less than a year. like new.

no experience with fork tube companies so it would be nice to hear any "stay aways" or junk china stuff.

with rotors im in the same boat. i dont mind aftermarket if they work well. im not sure if i want to buy used take offs unless low mile. would rather not give HD money. the master cylinder is no big deal but im wondering if upgrading to a newer brembo master is possible now so down the road if i want to upgrade calipers and rotors? i read the fitting is 10mm instead of 12mm but that only means changing out the brake line to the distribution block.

bearings are easy to me but i have been trying to cross search numbers to find a bearing that is made in ATLEAST Japan... canada, europe, anywhere but china/taiwan/korea with NO LUCK. also some forum members do tool loans.

i did find out that the swing arm bearings are just plain timken SET1 bearings FYI

so some of my rear end play is in the swing arm bushing (not bearing side) and i can see the center link moving (rubber is shot) front mount is new vibratechnics so the domino effect is now happening.

also trying to decide OEM rear mount or drag specialties. leaning towards boardtracker 20% off oem unit. even thought of that chopper hauss/bbc rear mount.

i will check into that heim joint link. i thought the oem one was metal on metal but it actually has a small rubber bushing

Quick Reply: 39mm fxd front end upgrade