Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift linkage weight affect shift feel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:22 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts
Default Shift linkage weight affect shift feel?

I'm looking to make or buy a new shift linkage as I don't particularly like the style of my current one. It's a nice piece; chromed billet with heim joints. I just want something simple to kinda disappear but still function beautifully.

ANYway... Has anybody experienced a difference in shift feel between a heavy steel linkage and a light aluminum one?

I'm guessing it isn't noticeable, but I figured I'd ask.

I'd rather shed weight but if a heavy shifter feels better (like in some cars)...what's a few ounces for a good feeling?

Old 12-09-2016, 03:48 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I much prefer the heavier shift linkage with heim joints; I've got an extended heavy flame billet shift rod with heim joints on the Wide Glide. I preload the shift peg for both upshifts and rev-matched downshifts; with the heavier linkage I can feel exactly what I'm doing and how much pressure I've got on the peg; with light hardware I don't have the same feel...

Old 12-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,258 Likes on 3,629 Posts

While i've not lightened the shift rod, I've lightened the shift lever and noticed a difference. I changed a stock bagger chrome plated steel shift lever to a home made aluminum / Delrin / rubber band one and notice the shifting was lighter / maybe a little quicker.. You could probably also go to a lighter ball end system.. Possibly use a 5/16 2024 aluminum rod with SS ballends..

Old 12-09-2016, 04:55 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

No difference, it's in your head. Unless the lever was longer or shorter to change the leverage.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:08 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

That's a really nice piece, Bwoltz. I don't have the equipment to machine something like that, but it's near perfect. All function. I might add some nice big fillets for a bit of form and hard anodoze black but it's sure nice! I currently have the HD slotted billet lever up front. I haven't weighed it, but it's pretty light. Maybe a bit flashy, but speed holes are classic.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
While i've not lightened the shift rod, I've lightened the shift lever and noticed a difference. I changed a stock bagger chrome plated steel shift lever to a home made aluminum / Delrin / rubber band one and notice the shifting was lighter / maybe a little quicker.. You could probably also go to a lighter ball end system.. Possibly use a 5/16 2024 aluminum rod with SS ballends..

Super nice work, I really like it a lot!

Old 12-10-2016, 06:28 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

There are tons of other places on a Harley that are overweight and under performing. The frame being the worst offender. That and the swingarm.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,258 Likes on 3,629 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
That's a really nice piece, Bwoltz. I don't have the equipment to machine something like that, but it's near perfect. All function. I might add some nice big fillets for a bit of form and hard anodoze black but it's sure nice! I currently have the HD slotted billet lever up front. I haven't weighed it, but it's pretty light. Maybe a bit flashy, but speed holes are classic.
It got painted.. There seems to be some confusion as to why I made it.. This lever is on a 07 EGC. The intent wasn't to lighten the bike.. The intent was to lighten the shift arm mainly so that it bounced less at an idle. They seem to bounce pretty good if you take the heal shifter off. It reduced the bounce some and it was fun to make.

I like lightening holes also but not really any place to add them on this lever.. When I made caliper brackets for the front forks on my bobber, I added a number of holes to the brackets.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:49 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
There are tons of other places on a Harley that are overweight and under performing. The frame being the worst offender. That and the swingarm.
Not to mention the wheels, which are even more critical because that's unsprung weight.

I replaced my stock shifter rod to a chromed one with Heim joints. I kind of doubt it's the weight that makes it work better, probably just because it's a lot smoother.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Good question, OP.

I started making shift linkages a couple of years ago, first on my '14 Limited. That first one simply used the stock (steel) rod, with a little bit of extra thread cut to fit the heim joints without any changes to working length from stock.

That first attempt worked very well, and tightened up the shifting significantly.

Then this last fall, I picked up a friend's Street Bob and went to work on that one in similar fashion. That bike had different ends on the stock shift linkage rod that made re-using it a non-option. It was cheap enough to just buy some 5/16" aluminum rod and heim joints and go from there. The picture below is of that particular one.

Well, since I had enough stock to make another one, I decided to replace the one on my Limited with an aluminum one, because the diameter of the aluminum rod made for better threads than the steel one had.

I didn't think that there would be any difference in shifting feel, since the first (steel) modified one was already so good. I was surprised though. There really is a difference in feel...tighter yet, crisper, and more positive.

I don't know if it's the weight loss or the differences in stiffness/metallurgy, or whatever, but it did surprise me. And since the only material difference between the two is the change from steel to aluminum, there are no other variables in play with this change.

All the best,

Shane

Quick Reply: Shift linkage weight affect shift feel?