Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raked trees

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
I've not done it so I can't comment on doing it.. One thing to note is that what can also be done increase fork neck rake is to use shorter shocks in the rear and longer forks in the front end. Both mods rotate the static position of the frame to increase the angle at the neck. It like the guys that are selling raked trees are making those changes.. They add 2 inches to the forks and look to be using shorter shocks in the back. I suspect the prostreet look where the frame is level and low will need more frame rake than 29 degrees.

I agree that it would be nice to discuss this with someone who has done it..
Some of that tube extension is "used up" in bringing the neck angle back up after raking the trees

Old 01-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Some of that tube extension is "used up" in bringing the neck angle back up after raking the trees
Yep.. Messing with the angles, I'd say the fork need to be about 1 inch longer to make up for the change in angle.. Rough calcs show a 1 3/4 in loss in trail tho..
.. The extra inch of 2 over tubes will raise the front end a bit..

Old 01-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I know there are guys on here that have done it. Perhaps now they don't want to admit it? :-D
Seeger says to drop the rear 1" and either run a 21" rim on front, or 2" over tubes with the original 19" with their 5 deg. trees. I would prefer to have the neck angle changed, but I guess the guy I talked to in Dallas needs to catch up his beamer payments, and I can't see it. Don't even know his reputation for this mod, and could well end up with a junk frame. At least with trees, it's easily reversed.I'm going to do this, and we'll see what happens. If you don't see me post anything after it's done, they must have scraped me up off the highway...

Old 01-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Technically, raked trees will will make it a handful at speed.. Raking trees decreases trail which causes high speed stability issues.. Raking the steering neck increases trail which makes low speed harder but increases high speed stability.
Thanks for the correction. Makes sense.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:15 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

I built this with 2" overs tubes and 5 degree raked trees. Could take my hands off handlebars at any speed,from about 15 mph to 100 mph.<br/> Bike always handle like it was on rails,but a bit of a handful when parking.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior

Thanks for replying. That is what I am looking for. Input from someone who has done it. I ordered 3° cups from Vulcan. I'm starting there and will go 3° more in the trees with 2" over tubes if I want more.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:27 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Not E'nuff Harley
Thanks for replying. That is what I am looking for. Input from someone who has done it. I ordered 3° cups from Vulcan. I'm starting there and will go 3° more in the trees with 2" over tubes if I want more.
But what the neck rake on hdbob2006's bike? Doesn't appear to be a stock frame

BTW, here's the Vulcan kit being installed...Also more pics of the Tool in later pages
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post15836839

The following users liked this post:
Not E'nuff Harley (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior

Thanks, multihdrdr. His frame has more rake than the 29° mine has. I was originally looking for 34°, but I'll see how I like 32 for starters. Thanks for the install link.

Last edited by Not E'nuff Harley; 01-20-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:39 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Keep us posted on this. I've considered rake cups several times, but the installation concerns me. Accurate clocking without a frame jig...

Old 01-22-2017, 07:55 AM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cggorman
Keep us posted on this. I've considered rake cups several times, but the installation concerns me. Accurate clocking without a frame jig...
I will. I'm not concerned. The cups are marked and locating center of the stem is an easy task. Should be doing the install next weekend.

Quick Reply: Raked trees