Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 FXDLS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:35 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Looks like the OP has some awesome plans for his new bike.

I'm thinking, with all the "resistance" to the wheel color, they are going to be sought after in the future. Just like the front drum brakes on Sporties so many years ago. Riders changed out the drums for superior disk brake systems. Now, rebuilders can't find "correct" drum brakes to complete their rebuilds back to OEM.
I think these "BS" (baby *hit) wheels will be the same situation...
I doubt it.

Your Sporty example is a "functional" difference, this is a color difference which would be more easily reversed if needed.

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-28-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:22 AM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Looks like the OP has some awesome plans for his new bike.

I'm thinking, with all the "resistance" to the wheel color, they are going to be sought after in the future. Just like the front drum brakes on Sporties so many years ago. Riders changed out the drums for superior disk brake systems. Now, rebuilders can't find "correct" drum brakes to complete their rebuilds back to OEM.
I think these "BS" (baby *hit) wheels will be the same situation...
I do have some good stuff planned, but simple. No fancy paint, something old school is the works for the paint department. But I do agree with you on the wheels. I think they'll be like the FXDX wheels, or some of the gold sporty wheels of the past like you mentioned. Sure they still make the 13 spokes for the Iron 883, but its not the same. However, I can't wait 20 years to have them be worth something haha But on the other side of the coin i think just having the Low Rider wheels in the future when there obsolete might pay off.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:41 AM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser

So heres a few more things:

PM Grips, Kuryakyn LED tail light and full rear fender from a 06 Street Boob. $350 shipped from eBay and in 9/10 condition, definitely a score. And finally Custom Dynamics LED "Switchback" turn signals. For those of you curious, They will blink normally when installed. I still have rear incandescent bulbs and there is no fast blink. The indicator on the gauge blinks fast, but the lights themselves do not. I was curious how the CANBUS system on these new bikes would handle the different bulbs, but its fine, NO RESISTORS NEEDED. I have Alloy Art strut lights on the way and they'll hook up just fine with no fast blink and no resistors needed. My friend who's a HD tech tells me theres a weird sequence they do to with the turn signal buttons to get rid of the fast blinking indicator on the gauge and thats it. Ill confirm once I get those hooked up along with the rear fender. Ive seen it before but ill also post the process, wiring, and part #s needed to install the long rear fender and lights with a new harness from HD. I wish they would have just put a long fender on it from the factory, but wheres the fun in that right?

White running light

Amber signal. These things are insanely bright, the white ring lights up a small portion of the road at night white is cool, better for visibility I think. I also added a yellow bulb in the headlight for more visibility for the time being.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:49 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Oh, I never noticed the filter on the AC assembly was full round. That's nasty.

I used an oval cone like the DK system uses.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:01 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Lovely bike! I almost bought one, but it's just too close to my blacked out Fat Bob. I went retro and bought a 1980 shovel instead....

My opinion (and that's all it is) is that the Thunderheader looks cheap though. I would have gone with a D&D Bob Cat or Fat Cat on it if it was mine.

I personally wouldn't do higher bars either. Those bikes look great with the drag bars. I think apes will make it look strange.

Nick's black wheels look great as well!

But of course it's your ride, so do as thou wilt!

Old 01-28-2017, 12:17 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
...My opinion (and that's all it is) is that the Thunderheader looks cheap though. I would have gone with a D&D Bob Cat or Fat Cat on it if it was mine.
Always interesting perspectives on products (as should be)

T-headers are classics...If you liked them way back, chances are you will always like them.

Much like "Old School" Centerline "Auto/Drag" car wheels (if anybody knows or remembers them), If you liked/loved them before, they will always have a place in your heart (my heart)

Old 01-28-2017, 02:38 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSSPirate
So heres a few more things:

PM Grips, Kuryakyn LED tail light and full rear fender from a 06 Street Boob. $350 shipped from eBay and in 9/10 condition, definitely a score. And finally Custom Dynamics LED "Switchback" turn signals. For those of you curious, They will blink normally when installed. I still have rear incandescent bulbs and there is no fast blink. The indicator on the gauge blinks fast, but the lights themselves do not. I was curious how the CANBUS system on these new bikes would handle the different bulbs, but its fine, NO RESISTORS NEEDED. I have Alloy Art strut lights on the way and they'll hook up just fine with no fast blink and no resistors needed. My friend who's a HD tech tells me theres a weird sequence they do to with the turn signal buttons to get rid of the fast blinking indicator on the gauge and thats it. Ill confirm once I get those hooked up along with the rear fender. Ive seen it before but ill also post the process, wiring, and part #s needed to install the long rear fender and lights with a new harness from HD. I wish they would have just put a long fender on it from the factory, but wheres the fun in that right?

White running light

Amber signal. These things are insanely bright, the white ring lights up a small portion of the road at night white is cool, better for visibility I think. I also added a yellow bulb in the headlight for more visibility for the time being.
When I installed my Custom Dynamicz LEDs I just let them blink for a few minutes and the CANBUS system "learned" the new resistance level and stopped blinking the dash indicator fast.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:30 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

You'll like the PM grips. I went with the same ones on mine along with the matching foot pegs and shift peg. The grips feel a lot better than the stockers.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:49 PM
hwork
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
1000 times better than that ugly ****in tan color. At least in my opinion. I haven't heard a single person say they like the tan color
nick I like that sissy bar! Where is that from?

Old 01-29-2017, 10:51 AM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by adm
Lovely bike! I almost bought one, but it's just too close to my blacked out Fat Bob. I went retro and bought a 1980 shovel instead....

My opinion (and that's all it is) is that the Thunderheader looks cheap though. I would have gone with a D&D Bob Cat or Fat Cat on it if it was mine.

I personally wouldn't do higher bars either. Those bikes look great with the drag bars. I think apes will make it look strange.

Nick's black wheels look great as well!

But of course it's your ride, so do as thou wilt!
Thanks man, and you're right about the T header, the metal is crap and the coating sucks so it does look cheap. But they do perform well and sound killer. I thought about the D&D but I have leather pros I'm putting on this and they won't fit as I don't plan on changing the shocks anytime soon. Plus Im a T header fan for life! I have a TBR pipe on my FXDX and its a good pipe, stepped header and stainless quality, but everyone and their mothers have them (where I ride at least) so I have a T header for that as well that will be going on when I get it back from the shop. Better sound and performance IMO. No apes for this bike, a proper MX style bar with risers handles just as well as drag bars, yet no hunched over feel like the low bars.

Quick Reply: 17 FXDLS Build Thread