Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Labor charges

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Labor charges

OK....getting better about this, asking a question before I have the work done.

I'm looking to swap out the handle bars on my 05 FDX for the Wyatt Fuller Swayback bars from the MOCO. The dealer has suggested a way to mount the speedo on top of the headlight (anyone ever seen this done?).

I'm also going to braided cables and chrome housings for the switches and master cylinder.

The big question is the number of hours of labor. Dealer is saying about 8 hours which seems pretty high to me. The way I figure it they will have all winter to do this and there is no rush.

Thoughts from my brothers and sisters out there????

Kicks

[IMG]local://upfiles/4175/79A275E4963D40E0B3AE4AD50E52CC98.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-25-2005, 09:57 PM
WillieC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Labor charges

Yeah do the work yourself.

8 hours is VERY expensive and changing bars and chrome housings is not hard

Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I have seen it done and I am not fond of the look. It is an option though. So is the relocation bracket from J&P Cycles. Try this site to look at it and see what you think.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...0-b27decfe0b90

Hope this helps some.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior

I had the same thought, but the guy made a point in that it really takes away the look of the bars. Tradeoffs I guess. Thanks again for your help.

Kicks
ORIGINAL: atrox88

I have seen it done and I am not fond of the look. It is an option though. So is the relocation bracket from J&P Cycles. Try this site to look at it and see what you think.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...0-b27decfe0b90

Hope this helps some.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:08 AM
buckanddot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...after looking at all the crossbracing on the bars in your pic, would you even be able to see the speedo mounted on the headlight? Gotta be somethin' else out there that would work better.....especially if you're gonna invest in 8 hours of labor.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:27 AM
haksaw
Road Master

i wouldn't worry about it looking the *****. That's the best way of mounting the speedo on t-bar type handlebars. I ran that setup on one of my fxd's and it looked great. Just mount the bracket tight against either the bottom brace or the top instead of the middle where it would be more noticeable. It'll probably look better against the bottom one and you'll be able to see your speedo better because of the angle it will sit at. ( if mounted against the top brace it will be facing straight back and will be hard to see)
Changing bars can be time consuming if running the wiring inside the bars. Just a heads up, you may want to mount the bars yourself and not mount your chrome controls or run the wiring inside for now, until you're sure you like the bars...I mounted some apes on my softail only to find out i didn't like them. I ended up removing them (and pulling out all the wiring that had been painstakingly been run inside the bars)

Old 10-26-2005, 01:36 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

Thats a good ideal to run the wires out untill you decide for sure you want to keep them. I put t bars on mine with the wires run thu and then changed my mind. ugh.

8 hours seems to long for some one who knows what thier doing. Labor should run around 125-140.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:31 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

those bars do look damn good though. I have also given thought to going to a Lowrider gas tank and guage setup. That would be expensive with new parts but I would like to give it a try if I could come up with donor (used) parts. What about a Street Slammer bar or T-Bars? I am thinking of the T-Bars with pullback risers and using that bracket from J&P to keep the guages in the factory position. Maybe we should start a mailing campaign to Harley to design that bar for the FXD's with guage mounting?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior

A mail campaign....ain't gonna happen. The MOCO can't justify spending that kind of coin for a small percentage of nuts like us! The dealer did suggest the Low Rider tank as an option as well. I have to admit that they are giving me some great options and ideas as you all are too. Decisions, decisions....it's going to be a long winter.

Kicks
ORIGINAL: atrox88

those bars do look damn good though. I have also given thought to going to a Lowrider gas tank and guage setup. That would be expensive with new parts but I would like to give it a try if I could come up with donor (used) parts. What about a Street Slammer bar or T-Bars? I am thinking of the T-Bars with pullback risers and using that bracket from J&P to keep the guages in the factory position. Maybe we should start a mailing campaign to Harley to design that bar for the FXD's with guage mounting?

Old 10-26-2005, 12:13 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mrkicks that does seem alittle stiff i'm putting apes on my superglide and my dealer is costing me 2 hours and they got to run new lines which i got all the part numbers from one of our brothers on this sight and i know you are doing a little differnt but 8 hours i would do some checking around . but hang in there if that is what you want go for it your scoot will look good and that is what counts i would soon spend the money on my bike than most things out there that what we buy them for .

Quick Reply: Labor charges