Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Custom speedo bracket (ugly speedo update)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 PM
simsjam
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Custom speedo bracket (ugly speedo update)

I am here to proclaim that once and for all a speedo mount from a Sportster Custom speedo mount WILL work on a 2006 FXDI. This question has been asked over and over. There are no major modifications that have to be done and there is plenty of clearance between the mount and the fuel tank. I purchased a Sportster Custom Speedo mount for a 2004 model on Ebay that came with everything including the speedo and wiring harness. I did not use the wiring harness because I was not sure the wiring matched up but it all looks the same. The stock wiring harness has just enough slack but the Sportster one is a bit longer if you want to make it work to get more slack. I used my stock speedo because the part # is different from theSportster and the stock one fit win no mods. You will have to straighten out the stock brake line on the handlebar or get a longer one. There is plenty of slack in throttle and clutch cable to do this so no changes there. To get just enough slack in the handlebar wiring you will need to disconnect the cable clamps on the handle bar. The riser unit does have a pocket to tuck the wiring into but there is not enough slack so maybe later I'll splice the wires to make them longer so I can use this. I am not totally finished but I am pleased with the results. I am going to relocate my turnsignals to the lower tree next. If you hate your speedo position this is a good option!

This is what I started with and how it looks now

Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 PM
simsjam
Cruiser
Default RE: Sportster Custom speedo bracket (ugly speedo update)

Lets try the pics again

[IMG]local://upfiles/31533/18F2E85A962F486CB58F4E69D4C13B72.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31533/481E39208D47418F87D1231B5BD9590C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31533/0D3349A83D6D4340B4F830EECAF64C2E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,789 Likes on 2,067 Posts

ORIGINAL: simsjam

I am here to proclaim that once and for all
a speedo mount from a Sportster Custom speedo mount
WILL work on a 2006 FXDI. .................................................. .................................................. .......
Good job sims.

Post some pix when you get the rags off the tank.

Wanna see a snapshot from a little farther back, as well.

mud

Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too - would like to see if there's any clearance for a tank lift w/the sporty speedo - a friend just picked up a 2000 Super Glide and hates his speedo position.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 AM
shoptroll
Banned

Interesting approach.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

As requested here are some more pics. I finally finished everything today. I moved to turn signals from the handle bars using the kit I bought from the dealer (costs abut $30). I also added a Slipstreamer SS-32 Falcon windshield because it extends on the sides to cover my hands on cold mornings. I am not sure if there will be any buffeting issues but I hope I can get them worked out. If you want this shield make sure to get the oversize mounting kit. If you notice in the pics with the speedo out of the way there is a lot of room between the shield and the bars so I could even add a shield bag now .
Also I tried to show the clearancebetween the speedo and the gas cap. Do not do this with the tank lift mod. I do not think there is enough room. If you add some washers or spacers with longer bolts on the riser it may give you more clearance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31533/D34522D07ABD4A2E971BE920B95A8577.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31533/8721A05CDF7545B68555B90C1443C24D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31533/B120F80B218E4F70AAAD3ADAF7DD9C89.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer

I like the look of the sportster console. looks better then the FXD stock unit.
Good job.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:43 AM
simsjam
Cruiser

IMHO this ought to at least be an option they can add if people do not like the stock speedo. It would not add that much to the cost. Maybe they would have to call it the Dyna Custom if they did

Old 11-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Black Bob
Cruiser

The swap ooks good however everyone who has 'em (the stock superglide setup) seems to hate 'em and I don't really see why...

Old 11-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: simsjam

I am here to proclaim that once and for all a speedo mount from a Sportster Custom speedo mount WILL work on a 2006 FXDI. This question has been asked over and over. There are no major modifications that have to be done and there is plenty of clearance between the mount and the fuel tank. I purchased a Sportster Custom Speedo mount for a 2004 model on Ebay that came with everything including the speedo and wiring harness. I did not use the wiring harness because I was not sure the wiring matched up but it all looks the same. The stock wiring harness has just enough slack but the Sportster one is a bit longer if you want to make it work to get more slack. I used my stock speedo because the part # is different from theSportster and the stock one fit win no mods. You will have to straighten out the stock brake line on the handlebar or get a longer one. There is plenty of slack in throttle and clutch cable to do this so no changes there. To get just enough slack in the handlebar wiring you will need to disconnect the cable clamps on the handle bar. The riser unit does have a pocket to tuck the wiring into but there is not enough slack so maybe later I'll splice the wires to make them longer so I can use this. I am not totally finished but I am pleased with the results. I am going to relocate my turnsignals to the lower tree next. If you hate your speedo position this is a good option!

This is what I started with and how it looks now

https://www.hdforums.com/m_595986/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Sportster Custom speedo bracket (ugly speedo update)