Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi-Beam indicator on dim with lo-beam use

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi-Beam indicator on dim with lo-beam use

Just finished with some mods. I started the bike, after it sitting for 8 weeks or more, and all is well EXCEPT:

I have a constant (but dim) hi-beam indicator light on, even with just low beam on.

I have installed a new headlight (Drag Specialties from J&P Cycle), a new tail light (Kury smoked), and just finished installing a Stage I kit that included a V&H Fuelpak module.

I did not feel during that install that I pulled or pushed too much on the wiring cables, and they locked in place fine. I did splice the headlight in with mechanical splices because the new light is wired different with different colored wires that the stock*

*If someone could remind me which stock color wire goes to each prong on the light connector, I can look at it.

The splices are nicely done, staggered, and were wrapped correctly. I read each wire to each other and all were open to one another. Did not read to ground. Opened my env taping and everything looked ok.

[]This ONLY happens with the bike "running." If just the key is on, with the run switch in "off" the headlight and hi-beam indicator function normally. There is no dim hi-beam indication on lo-beam.

Has anyone experienced this?

Will it hurt anything to leave it?

If it will, what should I do first?

I am a person who has low self-confidence in my own work, but I made a conscience decision to do all the work on my own bike myself since I'm not exactly an idiot either.

HELP...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Hi-Beam indicator on dim with lo-beam use

Just a hunch, but check continuity on your headlight ground
Something sounds fishy in the ground department.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
flynavy
Road Master

The ground (stock black) wire reads good continuity to the headlight bucket. In low beam, ground reads to one wire, then when switching to hi-beam the ground is present on the opposite wire. I believe that is the normal circuit loop.

My only idea is that perhaps because the bike is on a lift - rubber blocks between the frame and the lift -wheels off of the ground, could this be why it only does it when running? No solid path to ground?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bad ground probably in that new head light

Old 11-20-2007, 12:46 PM
flynavy
Road Master

The "no ground if bike is in the air" idea seems really stupid to me now......

Could a bad bulb in the headlight or tail light be causing this?

I can't be the first person who has seen this on a Dyna......can I?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 PM
flynavy
Road Master

Called HD, and the service tech I spoke with said that he has seen it before, and typically after install of after-market lighting (directionals, headlamps, and tail lamps). Some after-market lighting draws more current, so this could be the source of a backfeed to that light circuit somehow. He recommended purchasing a "lighting equalization device." It is an aftermarket part made by "Badlands" and sold by Drag Specialties that automatically re-balances the electrical loads in the system back to design specs.

I looked it up - it really exists. The tech says they have them hanging on the wall in the shop in case they need one for a bike after a service mod.

It isn't a serious problem as I understand it, worst case is likely a bulb will burn out, but I still want to resolve it.

I am going to check all fuses carefully first. Also try disconnecting the tail light and reconnecting thestock one. The wiring diagram does show the headlight circuit runs thru the tail light as well.

I would still like to hear from someone, anyone who has had or may have seen this before and what ended up resolving it.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it, the"lighting equalization device", sounds like a resistor, flynavy.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:31 PM
soup48
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a volt/ohm meter in the ohm position, check the ground wire to baterry ground. Is there a wire from the light socket to the headlight mounting piece. Ifd so check that part for continuity.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 PM
flynavy
Road Master

No idea what you are referring to in terms of a wire that runs from the socket to the mounting piece? The wire connector to the headlight is 3 wires. Hi, Lo, and a ground.

Ground is good to the case and to battery ground

I am suspecting the fuelpak is the culprit, but will disconnect it and take it out of the circuit completely and check for the dim indicator...

Called V&H and they have never heard of it

Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 PM
flynavy
Road Master

Tried all this:

Disconnected fuelpak from bike, and re-connected main cable to ECU. Turned ignition sw on, engine switch to run, started it up. Still have dim hi-beam indicator light when engine is running.

Replaced rear tail light with stock tail light. No Help

Replaced after-market headlight with stock headlight. No Help.

Replaced coil with spare. No Help

Replaced SE Plug Wires with Stock. No Help

Checked all fuses. All Good. Wire bundles all okay, just enough slack in all, no obvious tears in insulation, no visable wires anywhere. All connections in tact that I can see and feel.

Checked the 3 wires to the headlight. Black reads to ground, the white/yellow (can't recall which) reads to the ground wire when lo beam is selected, ground wire reads to opposite wire when hi-beam is selected. White and yellow read open to chassis ground. Connector new and in tact.

STILL HAVE MOTHER-%#@$#$% DIM HI-BEAM INDICATOR LIGHTWHEN LO-BEAM IS ON AND ENGINE IS RUNNING.

I am running splitfire spark plugs. Have not yet replaced those with the stock plugsto see if the indicatorgoes out. Just thinking about ignition EMF (noise) as a remote possibility. Will try that tomorrow (exhausted), but have little hope. I also noticed during all of this that every once in awhile my speedo needle would jump off zero and read about 5 mph for a few seconds, then return to zero. Saw it do that twice. No rhyme or reason to when it happened.

I am beginning to think the HD tech's explanation of the aftermarket lights drawing more current makes some sense, but jeez, I took them out of the circuit, so how could that be the cause?

I guess tomorrow I will try the stock headlight, with the stock tail light and the stock spark plugs all at the same time.

I give up after that and will live with it provided it doesn't burn up any bulbs or cause any other freaky stuff.

Any bro's have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Hi-Beam indicator on dim with lo-beam use