Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to cover top part of forks between triple tree

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to cover top part of forks between triple tree

Ok, so I am well off to painting my lower legs black, got the rubber fork boot ordered and now I am trying to find out how some of you have covered the part of the forks between the triple tree. I could only find alittle info on this and am looking for the best way to do this, or at least one that I can get the items to do. i tried a search and it came up with nothing.
Thanks for your time to respond.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 PM
fiend138
Road Captain
Default RE: how to cover top part of forks between triple tree

If you like carbon fiber, you could get a set of wraps like this and cut them to fit in between your trees.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Stanger
Road Master

Dam loner, now that is another idea. interesting.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You can just get black decals like the carbon ones and do that. Only problem is that you might have to peel it off to pull the forks outta the clamps if you ever need to do so.

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/pro...&cat0=DIRT

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/pro...&cat0=DIRT

Old 02-25-2008, 05:14 PM
fiend138
Road Captain

Your HD dealer has some metric as well right? You should be able to go into the parts department and ask for carbon fork guards for an MX bike. They should have them in stock just make sure they will suck down on you 49mm forks and are long enough. Maybe that shop down by Ely and Visa Way would have them, they should be $40 to $60.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
XKROME
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

leather

Old 02-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Clutch66
Tourer

Old trick, but then, I'm a very old biker.
Back in the "old days" we would extend the front end by installing "slugs"(now illegal) that were steel sections the exact outside diameter as the fork tubes, with threads on the bottom that would screw into the top of your stock forks and threads in the top end that the tube caps screwed into. You could buy slugs in 2"-4"-6"-8"
Now, back to the subject.......in order to cover these slugs, we would go to the hardware store and buy chrome plated brass tubes that were made as drain pipe on sinks (kicthen/bathroom) these tubes were slightly bigger than the fork tubes. We would cut them to fit between the triple trees and slide them over the tubes.
Quick - easy - low cost

C66

Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Treasure
Advanced

I don't know the web site or manufacture but I have seen somewhere on the web a company that makes all kinds of designed solid leather wraps that I think are a velcrow wrap over....If I run across it I'll jump back in and post....do the same if you find it....good luck.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Stanger
Road Master

I really like these ideas. I just had a thought. I am running a Memphis Shades windshield for the long trips and well guess where the fork clamps clamp to. yep that exact area. So here is one I thought of from one you the ideas here. What if I use some leather. A piece that would cover the whole area, not in straps but one piece that is either velcro'd in place and then the the windshield clamps could then clamp over it when needed. Just an idea. I really appreciate all the great ideas.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been thinking about this myself - two not very expensive ideas, neither of which require removing forks:

1) Leather covers with lace ups in different patterns:

http://geoleather.com/upperforkcover...orkcovers.html

Or,

2) I've also heard that you can get PVC pipe at any hardware store, cut it to size and slit it vertically, prime it and paint it (any color), then open it up a bit and snap it over the top forks. Easy on and off. Not sure about this idea but cheap and worth looking into I'd think, if you can find the right inside diameter on the pipe. Might also want to put something around the forks to keep the PVC from marring the finish if it slides around any or a small piece of velcro to hold it in place and keep the slit/cut to the rear.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Chip

Quick Reply: how to cover top part of forks between triple tree