Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets DOT Aproved

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Dutch550
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets DOT Aproved

I recently purchased 2 helmets from moto direct usa. I got a german style helmet and a beanie helmet. I live in mass so it is required to wear a dot aproved helmet. I used to wear a novelty helmet but decided to follow the law as I have no interest to get hassled by law enforcement. I was excited to get the helmets and when I tried them on I was let down. They make me look like a big mushroom. Is this the way it is with dot helmets. They are so big and bulky and look really stupid. I still want a DOT helmet my question is where can I buy a descent looking helmet that is not as bad looking as the ones I got. And does anyone get hassled by the LE for wearing a novelty helmet.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:42 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Helmets DOT Aproved

LOL! We call the DOT helmet look the "Kazoo" look (remember the cartoon alien guy?)...Almost all DOT half helmets look that way due to the amount of foam in there to meet standards. Same deal here in CA. Most of the time, the police don't bother, but, on occassion, I've seen folks get tickets. I wear a novelty helmet around town, but I wear a full face on most road trips. Additionally, I have a Bell Drifter helmet that I carved out about 3/4" of the foam. Sits much further down on my head. I have been searching for a good, surplus Kevlar helmet as well. Figure I can argue that one with the law if I ever had to...

Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
ninetyzero
Cruiser

The best looking DOT helmets I have seen are here:
http://www.nexlsports.com/
They are quite thin and really strong for a DOT helmet. A guy I used to work with had one, and if I could afford it I would buy one right now. They just passed the DOT required law in NC to, but I am going to continue to wear my brain bucket until I am told otherwise. Seems everyone either wears a brain bucket or a full faced around here.
But definetly check out those NXT helmets, they are nice!

Old 03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
pappy43
Tourer

I've found that when "ordering" a helmet to much Forest Gump theroy (you never know what you're go-na get) comes into play. Best to make the rounds of the bike shops in your area and try them on until you find a brand and fit thatyou like. Then if you don't like their price you will know what to shop for on-line..Helmets are a bitch, no two pumpkins are the same.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:22 PM
20LowRider02
Tourer

Those Nexl ones are good...

I got a skidlid. One of the only ones I tried on that didn't shroom head me like you said.

I've found that the ones with the ear protectors make the helmet look a bit smaller because it makes it a transition to the strap, whereas the ones with jsut straps tend to look pretty bad.

But go try on a skid lid if you can find a dealer.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:23 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Dutch550

TryACC (advanced carbon composites) out of Florida. They make a kevelar and carbonfiber helmet
which is real nice and DOT approved, but they are a little pricey 200.00 or so. I bought one aboutsix weeks ago and it's areal nice skid lid style, but I only have a bout 200 miles of riding with it so far
I purchased it because of the wording change here in NC helmet law.
Carl

Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM
silverbullet2005
Tourer

I bought the wife and I GMAX DOT helmets in Flat Black. they number is GM35X Naked Helmet. They also have this helmet with a visor and graphics but I liked the plain flat black which matched my 06 denim Street Bob.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 PM
rok312
Tourer

These helmets don't look too shabby:

Carbon Fiber Helmets

Old 03-01-2008, 06:36 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: tomato

...I have been searching for a good, surplus Kevlar helmet as well. Figure I can argue that one with the law if I ever had to...
Painted flat black on your bike? Too cool for words, I'd love to see a pic of that!

Even at surplus places, these are dang pricey, but man it would be cool to wear one. I wore a steel pot when I was still in. www.uscav.com is about the best place to get one new - still almost $300. I can't imagine the LEO who would ticket one of those, you'd have to really p*ss him off.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Been fighting the same battle as have most of my friends with the 'shroom head vs. novelty helmet. I think I tried them all or darn near close to it, including ACC's helmets. ACC's were a little better but still not the look or feel I wanted, especially for $180. We just had a revised helmet law go into effect here the first of the year along with the promise/threat of stepped up enforcement so I, like you, decided to bite the bullet and find a DOT I could live with to keep from getting hassled. We've already had guys here in the state stopped and given the option of riding on and getting a ticket or sitting on the side of the road until a DOT helmet drops like manna from heaven. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle. I found out one thing early on, and this was with a novelty helmet no less, YOU'VE GOT TO EITHER GET LUCKY ORDERING ONE THAT FITS RIGHT ONLINE,or you probably won't like what you end up with. You just have to try them on, see how they feel, and look in amirror. Even if you can buy it cheaper online, go find what you like, make, model, and size and then go home and try to find and order it. I also found it helped to take my riding glasses in with me to try the helmet on with. You wouldn't think so, but they make the gazoo head a little easier to swallow when you look in the mirror. For $50 I finally found one I could live with. This is not a recommendation because everything fits everyone differently, but I wound up with a Fulmer Hombre Softie half helmet in gloss black. It was strange because the store I bought from had several different makes and even different models from Fulmer that all appeared the same from the outside and even side by side. But, none of them fit me or looked decent enough to keep like the Hombre did. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Helmets DOT Aproved