Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eaten by a pothole - Need manual schematic for 07FXDB swingarm assy

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 AM
blackmopar
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eaten by a pothole - Need manual schematic for 07FXDB swingarm assy

Ok, so I think I'm finally over the denial part - Something is bent and I cant figure it out.

About 3 months ago I was on the 215 in Riverside and nailed a HUGE pothole - at the time I thought it only bent my lowering tab (which i was pissed off with anyway) so when I got home I removed them and set back to stock height (with stock shocks) The bottom eye was bent on the shock slightly but was still useable until I got my new lowered progressives a couple weeks ago. When I installed the new shocks I noticed something didnt seem right - The brake side seemed like I had to push down on the swingarm a little bit to get the bolt hole on the strut to line up. And when I did the belt side, just the opposite, i had to lift the swingarm slightly to get it to align. At this time, I also replaced the stock shock bolts with fresh hardware, so I know Im not dealing with a bent bolt.

Sidenote:My rear tire is wearing on the belt side more than the brake sideof center and I am noticing that I am compensating to go in a straight line by slightly leaning to the left (If I concentrate to be absolutely vertical with the bike it seems to veer right) And if I just pucsh the bike around in neutral without it running I hear a slight bit of brake drag (Rear)

I see NO signs of the swingarm being bent - Could I have bent the pivot bushing? Anybody have experience in replacing? I suppose the other possibility (or two problems??) is the front forks being slightly twisted from the impact, but the front tire is wearing even, and again, the unevenness (word?) of the swingarm when installing new shocks.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
the metal
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Eaten by a pothole

what's the lowering tab that was bent?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM
blackmopar
Road Captain

before i got lowered shocks, i bought a set of lowering tabs/blocks that change the angle of the stock shocks and lower the rear end - these things SUCK for fat guys - no longer running them to say the least
So anyway, when i nailed the pothole the brake side tab bent to the point I couldnt ride with it - so I removed them both and brought the bike back to stock height (though the shock eye was also slightly bent - thats why when it was a little misaligned, i just assumed it was the shcok) but now with brand new progressives, the shocks still dont line up even on both sides - brake side push down, and the belt side lift slightly

Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

Bring the bike to a certified H-D tech & have them check it out. If you think something's seriously bent don't take any chances.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

To me it sounds like you have twisted swing arm. Since you have to push/pull in the oposite direction to get the shock on, and you are wearing on one side more than the other. I think I would lift the bike and hang a plumb bob off the center of the fender and see if i falls strieght down the center of your tire. Or you might be able to draw a line down the center of the tire and with the bike strieght up, see if the line on the tire leans one way. This would just be for a rough gage. You would still have to take to a dealer for a fix.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
the metal
Banned

man that had to be a helluva pot hole, it's good you were able to maintain control of yer scooter

Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain

man that had to be a helluva pot hole, it's good you were able to maintain control of yer scooter
to say the least - it was - i was in formation with about 10 brothers so i had no choice.

To me it sounds like you have twisted swing arm.
I'm fearing this too - but since no signs of a bend anywhere (no flaking oaint, etc) I'm praying that it may be the pivot point - but does anyone know what mechanim that is - I know on my old FLH it was a bushing, is it the same on the FXDB/Dyna line in general?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Arcane
Road Master

I am going to agree with the sprung or twisted swing arm theory, if you hit hard enough to bend the shock eye then the bike definitely took a hard shot. The swing arm pivot point is integral with the transmission case. It certainly could have seen some stress but the swing arm, shocks, and shock attachment points are the places where damage was most likely to have occurred. If the swing arm is sprung or twisted enough to cause tire wear on one side more the other then the belt and rear sprocket may be suffering additional wear also.

Get it checked out before you put much more mileage on it.
Arcane

Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain

FUC*
And i thought having to buy a new rear tire was goona break the bank this month - Correct me, but wouldnt I see obvious signs of the swingarm twisted - Havent removed anything, but visually inspected the H3LL out of it and cant see any sign

Anybody know what a new swingarm runs, so i can start preparing for worst case?

Old 04-09-2008, 02:04 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

ALSO WHERE IS THIS POTHOLE AT ON THE 215 I DONT WANT TO RUN INTO IT.

Quick Reply: Eaten by a pothole - Need manual schematic for 07FXDB swingarm assy