Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:54 AM
dyna2319
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake bleeding?

To the knowledge of this forum.

I recently replaced both my brake lines with some from Mangum Shieliding and have not been able to get back that solid braking feel of the orginial Harley lines.These are the same lines that HD sells because one of the lines I received had the HD logo stamped on it. I thought that this would be an improvement over the stock rubber lines that Harley uses because of the flexing of the rubber lines. I have repeatedly bled the brakes using HD DOT 4 fluidand still do have the solid feelor stopping power of the stock lines.The fliud was turnig a little dark and figure it was time for a brake fluid change anyway. I have tried botha suction bleed with a vacuum pump and the gravity bleed method but it still does not feel right. I don't see any air bubbles in the master cylinder or at the caplierswith either methodbut know that there is air in the line or calipers somehow.I do have theservice manual but they don't give a perferred method to bleeding. I can still stop OK but not what it used to be before the line replacement.There are no leaks in the attachemnt points at both the calipers or master clyinders. I did use new washers at thebanjo fittingsto both the cylinder and calipers.Any suggestions would be helpful at this point.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2008, 05:26 AM
wolfydude
Cruiser
Default RE: brake bleeding?

You could still have some air trapped in the new lines.
A neat trick is to get something to hold your brake lever in over night,this opens your fluid valve and lets the air bubbles float to the surface in your brake resevoir.
This trick helped me out.
Wolfy

Old 05-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Night_Train01
Tourer

To eliminate any hassle of bubbles I always use a syringe and force the fluid into the lines from the caliper back into the resevior. Works perfectly everytime! all you need is a $1 syringe and a .50 piece of 3/16 tubing.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 AM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One question,

When did Harley switch back from Dot 5......to Dot 4 Brake fluid ??

Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 AM
talon33
3rd Gear

everytime i've messed w/brake lines on bikes i always end up having to bleed the master cylinder .once i get firm feel, then i do calipers again.i've tried back flowing, vaccum and end up with just pumping lever a couple of times hold in and crack banjo bolt at master cylinder ,quickly retighten and do again until feel comes back.remember to keep fluid off paint etc...hope this helps

Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 AM
dyna2319
Tourer

Thanks guys. I see thatI still getting some of the old brake fluid into back the master cylinder when I am pumping it. It look like some smoke coming out of the hole. I though I drained it all. Will try tieing it back over night. Thanks for the tip wolfy.
The DOT 4 is what the dealer said was for my bike wescoot. Will check the ownber manual again.