Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dyna vs Sportster need help!

Get a Dyna...no question.&nbsp\\; And let me explain my experience...

I am a first time rider as of April.&nbsp\\; I hadn't ridden a motorcycle since I was like 13 and had a little 80cc trail bike for fun.&nbsp\\; So I ended up starting out with an 883L, as I figured it was the smallest Harley, and would be the easiest to learn on.&nbsp\\; The Sportster is a great bike, and I learned to ride it with relative confidence since April.&nbsp\\; However, I always felt like the bike wanted to lean one way or the other and I was always concentrating on balancing it.&nbsp\\; It wasn't something that really worried me, I just figured that was part of the game.&nbsp\\;

So, without going on and on, I finally got to the point where I had been reading all the forums and talking to people who kept urging me to try a bigger bike.&nbsp\\; They'd tell me how the Sporty was a great starter bike, but a bigger bike would actually be easier to ride.&nbsp\\; I didn't see how a larger, heavier bike would be easier to ride than the smaller, nimble Sporty, but I finally tried it out.

My father recently traded his 03 Heritage for an 08 Rocker.&nbsp\\; I hopped on the Rocker last week and rode it a few miles.&nbsp\\; I was amazed how well it balanced itself and how much smoother it was than the Sportster.&nbsp\\; The next day we went to the dealer and I bought a Street Bob.&nbsp\\; I LOVE it!

It's so much easier to ride, and the weight really doesn't even feel like it's a factor.&nbsp\\; riding is much more effortless and I don't feel like the bike is sliding one way or the other around curves or corners.&nbsp\\; With the SB, I am much more comfortable leaning and I've found myself gaining a lot more confidence overnight.

So, to sum things up...I was a guy who started out on a Sporty but quickly came to realize the value of the larger, smoother and easier to handle bikes.&nbsp\\; If you've already ridden a Sporty and feel comfortable with it...do yourself a favor and just go straight to a Dyna.&nbsp\\; You will not regret it.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if money is not in the situation the dyna will be much more user friendly.....

my wife is 5'1" tall on her first trip to the dealer after we got our bike she spots a 883L... she tells me look a bike for my size....straddles, lifts off the jiffy stand,..." god this thing feels so much heavier than yours"....
they really do feel heavier while being lighter.... different center of gravity .... might be fun getting to wrestling it around in heavy crosswinds...
not to mention the shorter less comfortable wheelbase and lack of roominess for two up.

gotta say that the nightster still moves me visually...one of the best looking harleys out there IMHO.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

&nbsp\\; Go Dyna!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
C-Cat
Tourer

two of the guys i ride with are brothers, one has a super-glide the other a sporster classic. they switched bikes the other day and the sporty owner didn't want to get off the super-glide and now is buying a night train go figure. he did like the dyna better, although when he went to look at a the fatbob and streetbob the night train caught his eye and he liked the fit when sitting on it.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Lurch556
Intermediate

If at all possible, I would suggest renting the bikes before purchasing.&nbsp\\; It looks like HD of Ottawa is the closest dealer to you that rents.&nbsp\\; I don't know if they operate the same way in Canada or not but my local dealer will let you switch out bikes as often as you want during your rental period so you can try as many different models as they have in their fleet.&nbsp\\; I personally rented a Fat Bob before purchasing one so I could see if it was what I wanted.&nbsp\\; I also like the Nightster but I've heard the Dyna's called Sportsters on steriods.&nbsp\\; I'm a big guy at 6'04", 260lbs so I'm glad I got a Dyna.&nbsp\\; It also looks like HD is having a test ride day on July 27th at Motosports G.P., 12 Route 116 ,Victoriaville, QC Canada.&nbsp\\; That was the closest one to Quebec.&nbsp\\; If you could make it to that, it's probably free.&nbsp\\; There are others throughout the rest of the year at various distances from Quebec.&nbsp\\; Good luck in your shopping and let us know what you got.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:01 AM
wtf6316
Road Master

Almost the same problem. https://www.hdforums.com/m_3591108/tm.htm

Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 AM
beendad
Road Warrior

I know from my experience it was a matter of cost. I&nbsp\\;wasn't even sure&nbsp\\;I was going to want to stay with Harley but I had to try, so I bought one of the least expensive models they had, the 883C. Well, I was hooked and I rode that Sportster for a long time wishing it had more power and a better suspension. I finally got my Wideglide about 6 months ago, and as much as I love my Sporty, it doesn't get ridden much anymore!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

&nbsp\\;Hi Bliz,
I was in the same position you are about 6 months ago, went with my wife&nbsp\\;to the Harley shop to place my order, they had just received their new shipment and had them all on display, my wife asked which one I wanted so I showed her the sporty, she looked at the Dyna Super Glide Custom and said if you gonna buy a Harley then by the real thing, My FXDC arrived 4 weeks later, I know now if I had of bought the Sportster I would be looking at upgrading to a Dyna by now,
The choice is yours but think seriously before you place your order, I never stop thanking my wife,

[IMG]local://upfiles/65774/C2E0DD17D3754FD893E9CD2E897E15EA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/65774/AD0F346DAB0C4F79A13ADB2A0CAB8F2A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Bluetoys
Road Master

I will echo the sentiment, for all the above reasons.&nbsp\\; With one twist...&nbsp\\; If you really like the Sportster look, but want the Dyna, Take a look at the Super Glide.&nbsp\\; To me, it looks like a dyna version of the sportster.&nbsp\\; It is worth the money to buy waht you want.
&nbsp\\;I looked at alot of specs and opinions, I finally decided on the Street bob.&nbsp\\; I had a plan of what I wanted the bike to be like and the only thing I strayed from on the list was with the seat.&nbsp\\; I had researched what would be the best choice for me, it was going to be the mustang solo with passenger pillion.&nbsp\\; In the heat of the moment, I bought the factory passenger pillion thinking it would be ok.&nbsp\\; I ended up buying the Mustang seat, just like I wanted.&nbsp\\; Now the stock seat is hanging on the wall.&nbsp\\; Figure out what you want, aand go with it.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mistake I made was to trade it for a Road King. Will be selling the RK and getting another Low Rider.
&nbsp\\;
Dang, that's a shame. I hate that you sold your LR if you're already regretting going to the RK, especially since you had the LR outfitted so well.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster need help!