Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little Unstable

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 PM
DynaDAWG
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question A little Unstable

Hi All,

Newbie to the Forum, newbie to my Wide-Glide. Riding about two months, so far great. Really great.

Last weekend I put on a WindVest, 16" and some saddlebags. All week it feels like I'm a little wobbly, unstable, I even thought I had a rear tire going flat. Ride doesn't want to hold a straight line and turns feel a bit "soft". Before the Windvest it felt more stable, even though the wind blasted me pretty good over 70mph.

It's an '05 Wide-Glide, Street Slammer bars, WindVest and Just Leather bags. The bags aren't loaded full or heavy, just an extra jacket and coffee thermos. Just did 15K service at the HD dealer. Nothing wrong.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not feeling too comfotable over 50mph and I've spent all week in the slow lane.

Thanks,

DD

Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If by "Windvest" you mean "Windscreen" there was a guy on here that had a problem with his on here a few days ago...he practically said the same thing. Anything over a certain mph he said his bike would get a little wobble or sway...It may be the wind screen flexing higher speeds because now it has to hit the wind screen b 4 anything...just my 2 cents

Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 PM
paulies 07
Road Captain

Did you adjust the wind vest?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:25 PM
DynaDAWG
Cruiser

Yes, WindVest is a brand. Smaller style windscreen. I really liked the looks better than most of the orthers.

No, I haven't adjusted it yet. It's mounted in the mid position. I figured this weekend I was going to remove it, ride for awhile, remove the bags, ride some more, put the WindVest back on, ride again, bags back on, etc. etc.

Also stopped in at the dealer tonight. He thought possibly shocks, so I bought a Spanner and tightened them up one notch. I'll see if that did anything, good or bad in the morning on the way to work. I'm betting he just wanted to seel me part though.

Thank you both for the input. I appreciate it. I'll try to find that other post and see if any other suggestions were made.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:10 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

The bags should not be making any of this happen, I have bags on my 05 WG and no difference with or without them. This is why I have never liked windscreens, I ride for the wind, why block it? Or attempt to that is.

Anyways, I would pull the windscreen and see if that eliminates the issue, if it does then play with the positioning of it till you find a spot that works, if you don't find that spot, lose it.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Ashes95
Advanced

Check your air pressure in your rear tire it may be low or depending on how much weight your saddlebags have added to the rear of the bike you may want to increase it just a bit.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:44 AM
ksscooter
Cruiser
Default Wobbly Wide Glide

A fork brace might be in order to control flex.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the compact standard height quick release windshield made by Harley.

While testing for front end wobble, if I take both hands off of the grips and watch my front end, it will wobble slightly with the windshield on.

If I have the windshield off and do the same thing, there is no wobble at all.

I can't feel the wobble while holding the bars, and it definitely has not changed the way my turns feel.

Try taking the windshield off and see if you notice a difference.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
cstolp
Road Captain

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but what can happen is that a windshield can create lift thereby decreasing the weight on the front tire to where is has very little contact with the road. Try stiffing up your rear shocks a bit in an attempt to increase the weight on the front wheel.

Also tilting the shield back may help some.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 PM
DynaDAWG
Cruiser

Thank to everyone who replied and provided information and suggestions. I'll have a busy weekend trying all of this, but hey, it means more riding and I like that. If I find the solution, I'll post it for future searches.

Thaks again,

DD

Quick Reply: A little Unstable