Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Accessory" Fuse keeps blowing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Unhappy "Accessory" Fuse keeps blowing...

Hey all

This is my 2007 FXDC. Only electrical mods I have done to it are moved the rear turn signals and installed the audible alarm to the factory security system - at about 2K miles, HD headlight and front blinker kit, and installed SB bars shortly there after (about 3K miles). Bike has about 15K on it now.

I've been through about 5 15A fuses in the last 1K miles. This just started all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago. I'll be riding along fine, stop to get gas or whatever, then when I go to start the bike - no turn signals. I have headlight, and front running lights, but no "blinkey-blinkey" Popping the electrical box cover, the 15A fuse labeled "Accessory" has blown. Sometimes it happens, some times it doesn't. It never happens when riding, (which is what I would think would indicate a hard wiring problem), it only happens when I turn the bike off, then on again.

I'm pretty sure I did a good job on the blinker work, I crimped and covered the joints with heat shrink. I'll double check that and the headlight tonight. I also thought about pulling the audible alarm module and see if that helps.

Before I go off to the dealer, give up my bike for a week to have them tell me:
a) that's normal
b)it's your fault - that'll be $1K
c) we accidentally rented your bike for the week

I thought I'd ask around here for some as always, helpful advice - any ideas on where this is coming from, anyone seen this before, or tips on troubleshooting would be most helpful!

BTW, Wally-World has those fuses, 5 for $2.79 as compared to over a buck a piece at the dealer.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Dodzi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some real funnies happen on an old z1000 I had. Turned out to be the earth strap from the battery that was faulty - meant that it was just trying to find the quickest way to earth, and in this case kept blowing the nearside front indicator whenever I started the bike on the electric boot. I'd check it out!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:08 PM
ultra2006
Cruiser

I am having the same problem on 08 flhx, only mods is added the brake mod for running lights to work as brake light and replace the tri bar with same thing that will work as brake light. Help Pls

Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

same issue here...

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Unhappy Electrical Problem

I'm having the same problem and it includes the speedometer not working and having no mileage indication. Mine started when I installed the larger rear wheel. It's in the shop now and they started troubleshooting it today. I will post the problem solution when and if it is found. Hope I don't go bankrupt in the process...

Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the switch covers, if you swapped your bars it is very easy to pinch a wire in the switch covers. Go ahead....ask me how I know this.....

Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

agreed with above... but if your blowing your accessory fuse when you hit your turn sig... one of your turn sig wires is grounding out... check under the fender for bare wires, look to make sure that you are not SMASHING and wires... basicly you have a game of trace the wire... that will lead you to your problem... you just have it grounded out somewhere along the wire... that is why you would puff fuses...

Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 AM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 to RSA & JRK's comments above. Sounds like a pinched wire somewhere, or check under the rear fender for rubbing. Also, have you rode in the rain recently? Sometimes water can get somewhere and blow fuses until it fully dries out..

Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 PM
wkdavistx
Tourer

I had the same problem on my 2k WG. Had loose negative battery cable at the battery and a short in the taillight wiring under the rear fender. I'm putting a plunger button on my starter when I do my tranny/starter swap. Keep in mind that a loose battery cable might feel tight when using a screwdriver, but can be tightened with a wrench or socket.

Ride safe!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 AM
heaprider
Stage II

Power goes into the rear brake light switch and when you depress the pedal it sends current to the light. Use a multimeter to check switch for continuity without having pedal depressed, if it shows that it is "made" then more than likely the switch is shorted to ground and causing the fuses to blow. Advance auto sells the S551 switch that will work or AutoZone has there RB401 it is a tight fit but it is a viable option.

Quick Reply: "Accessory" Fuse keeps blowing...