Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if i drill a half inch hole in my baffle

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if i drill a half inch hole in my baffle

got a drill bit about a foot long reaches the baffle no problem looks to be about a third to a half of an inch if i go right down the center of the baffle do you think this will screw up my back pressure? i just want some more sound but this makes me kind of nervous, if i do this i can't take it back what do you think
freebyrd

Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Are you talking about your stock pipes?

I'd keep them as is, and just add new slip-ons or a new exhaust system. That way you can go back to stock if you ever wanted too (for sale or trade in purposes).

Oh, and these Vance and Hines Short Shots in Black would look killer on your black bike.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:46 PM
freebyrd
Road Master

yeah stock pipes but these quiet pipes are gonna get me killed people are to distracted these days with cell phones texting dvd movies blue tooth kids screaming if they don't hear you coming your toast

i'm unemployed right now so thousand dollar exaust is out of the question i like the rush black mufflers and i found them shipped for 277 may be able to swing that a little later but i need sound now

Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM
jeffbcn
Road Master

I drilled a 1/2" hole in mine right after I got my bike. It did make them a bit louder and I did lose a bit of low end torque. Neither was really significant. Although people may be able to hear you better, you may not really be satisfied with the way it sounds long term. A couple of months later I put on some V&H Slip ons and love them. About $250.00. Cycle Shack has some cheaper and many like them.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 PM
jcrow
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drilling stock pipes

Don't bother, sounds like crap, I've done it. I bought Dyno power slip ons from J&P for $110.00. They sound good and the bike runs great. The stock pipes don't sound good any size hole you drill. Vane&Hines are louuuuuuuu-da. If you like noise they are fine.

Last edited by jcrow; 09-25-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: opinionated
Old 09-25-2008, 10:17 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jireh sells a set of Cycle Shack slip ons that have great sound and decent backpressure. They go for $105, and shipping was under 10 if I remember right. Part number is 64-441 for slash cut, 64-440 for tapered. I have run the slash cut for about two months and love them. Some guys here have said they are similar to the Screamin Eagle IIs.
www.jirehcycles.com

Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 AM
20LowRider02
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually took mine off and pounded the plug flat against the sides with re-bar first, then I made the hole wider and flatended the plug against the sides using a thick black pipe found at Home Depot or Lowes. I guess it's some sort of gas piping?

I ran like that for a little while and then I came across the V&H Pro Pipe for $75 on Craigslist. But in all honesty it sounded great...however... The bike did tend to be a bit jumpy while cruising at around 2500-3000 rpm because it was running leaner. So you'll get sound but it may affect other things. If I'm not mistaken, some of the newer fuel injected bikes will adjust for this...but I could be wrong. It will run slightly hotter if running lean. It's only when you mess with the air cleaner because with a stock box you're limiting how much air enters the engine, that's when you need a tune.

IMO they sounded good for a few $. Definitely louder.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:45 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

Tried this on a Honda VTX years ago. Sounded awful, plus I couldn't sell the pipes on e-bay or anywhere else cause they were no longer stock. I wouldn't dare do it to a Harley. I'm saving for the Vance and Hines so I will also have some stock pipes that I can sell to offset the cost of aftermarket. If you do it and don't like it, there's no turning back!

Old 09-26-2008, 01:16 AM
freebyrd
Road Master

I actually took mine off and pounded the plug flat against the sides with re-bar first, then I made the hole wider and flatended the plug against the sides using a thick black pipe found at Home Depot or Lowes. I guess it's some sort of gas piping?

I ran like that for a little while and then I came across the V&H Pro Pipe for $75 on Craigslist. But in all honesty it sounded great...however... The bike did tend to be a bit jumpy while cruising at around 2500-3000 rpm because it was running leaner. So you'll get sound but it may affect other things. If I'm not mistaken, some of the newer fuel injected bikes will adjust for this...but I could be wrong. It will run slightly hotter if running lean. It's only when you mess with the air cleaner because with a stock box you're limiting how much air enters the engine, that's when you need a tune.

IM
?

now what did the plug look like from the other side? i can see on mine from the outside it just looks like a aluminum bottle cap with slits cut around it, is that what the other side looked like?did you drill holes through both sides
and you banged the slits closed with rebar?
i got plenty of thick pipe my wifes grandfather was an electrician/pipefitter/handyman, theres **** in my garage i don't even know what is?
your idea intrigues me the most since while i got em off i can paint em black too
need just a little more detail

Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

On my 05 I took a bar and ran it throgh till it hit the end of the baffle then smaked it with a hammer.Baffle gone and made it a little louder ,sounds good but I still don't like the look of the tappered muffler.I Can't tell the differance in performance good or bad

Quick Reply: if i drill a half inch hole in my baffle